Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Vacation in Paris #Petit Coin de Paradis Studio (ID #112)

Aug 21st, 2009, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Leaving in 5 days. Staying at this "Vacation in Paris" rental. Any reviews of this apt or your experience with this company in general is appreciated. I have not received my key for the apartment yet. Has anyone had a similar experience?
Aug 21st, 2009, 05:59 PM

Hi Linda, i will be staying in ID #120 starting on September 7 and got the key August 10. Have you called them?

So far, we have had very good response. I guess we'll see what that means on September 7. Good luck.
Aug 21st, 2009, 06:03 PM

Also, if you do a search for VIP, you will find some reviews of the agency -- nothing on #112 that I could see.
Aug 21st, 2009, 06:10 PM

Nice location. Comfortable and well appointed but it IS a studio so it will be compact - about the overall size of a nice US chain hotel room maybe a little larger. When we first got into our VIP studio we were a little taken aback (it was smaller than yours) but it worked just fine and was quite comfortable.
We were quite happy with the service. Would recommend that if you do not have the key yet, call them NOW while there is time to overnight it if necessary. We did a last minute rental without enough time to mail the key so just got it from the agent in Paris, no problem at all.
Aug 22nd, 2009, 12:50 PM

We stayed there. Loved the location. The apartment is on the top floor with a tiny elevater. Extremely quiet. Liked the kitchen being separate. I think the size is pretty adequate for 2 people. Disliked the bathtub. It did not have a wall mounted shower or a shower curtian so it was a bit of a pain. It took us several days to figure out the electrical outlet is in the light socket in the bathroom. The TV only gets french stations. Those are my only real complaints. Other than that I really loved the location and the apartment is clean and well equipped. I have a picture of the front door to the building sitting on my desk as we speak.
Aug 22nd, 2009, 12:52 PM

You should call about the key. I've rented from VIP several times and we usually have the key 2 weeks before we leave. I seem to recall that the owner of this apartment lives in Paris and is a little odd.
Aug 23rd, 2009, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

thank you for the info about the electrical socket and such. Suzanne2 what do you mean "odd"? i have been asking for the key for the entire month of August and still have not rec'd.
i do not own a cell phone and not sure how to contact the owner for the key once i am in paris.
Aug 23rd, 2009, 09:15 AM

Seriouly, Linda call Vacationinparis tomorrow morning and get this sorted out. I cannot remember now why I had the impression that the owner was "odd". It must have been something that was said to me by the folks at VIP. We did need to call AF because of lost luggage and I could not get the phone in the apartment to work for that and had to use my cell. I know that normally VIP has reps in Paris but in the case of this apartment I was told that if I had any problems I would need to contact the owner directly and we were given a number for her. By the way, unless your clothes are really dirty use the delicate cycle on the washer. It will wash much faster.
Aug 23rd, 2009, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

yes i will call them in the am. something odd is going on.

Any other tips besides the socket, bathtub & dishwasher?

thank you again.
Aug 23rd, 2009, 03:36 PM

If you are there on a Sunday morning you can enjoy watching people sing and dance just outside the door. It is lovely.

There is a tiny Quiche shop with a very hard working young lady. The quiche there is wonderful. The Italian Deli is a great source for take-out food. There is a Wine store called Nicolas which has good variety and prices. Although, I've since started to buy my wine from the grocery store. There is a great bakery to the left as Rue Mouffatard becomes Goebelins. Should you need it and I usually do, there is a small Monoprix there. There is a Starbuscks there too.

Have fun and enjoy Paris.
Aug 24th, 2009, 12:45 PM

I looked at the VIP web-site a few minutes ago and see a message that the phones and E-mail are down. So, I thought I'd see how your key search was going.
Aug 24th, 2009, 02:12 PM

I stayed in this apt in Oct 08 for five days - loved the floor to ceiling windows and view over the rooftops. There were no instructions about how to use the washer/dryer (or heater), which wasn't a problem for me since I didn't need to do any wash. When I returned, I mentioned it to VIP and they said I should have called the owner; as I say, not a big deal but if you think you'll want to use the W/D, you may want to ask VIP to be sure some instructions are provided. Sofa was comfy; TV only received French channels; dishes/linens were fine. Great lighting in apt. Be aware that the front door to the apt doesn't open all the way since it hits the tiles, so don't push it with all your might (plenty of room to get in, just don't be surprised when it doesn't go all the way back.)

Really enjoyed the location since it seemed so residential, more "Parisian". There are two bakeries to the left of the entrance and I liked the one a little further along, on the left and across the street (I think it may be the one Suzanne 2 mentions). Interesting area to wander around and imagine living there permanently; intriguing shops that clearly cater to locals; LOTS of restaurants. The Monoprix on Rue Mouffatard is small, so if you want the full Monoprix experience go to one of the larger ones; however, it's fine for picking up food. I loved buying a roast chicken in the Rue Mouffatard markets - yum, yum! That and a pastry and I was all set!