Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

vacation in paris iD 213- studio cler-eiffel

Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking at renting an apartment for us and our 2 small children in paris for this spring for a little over a week. has anyone stayed invacation in paris.com's ID 213 called the studio cler-eiffel?

http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_213.htm

i have seen folks have had good results with this group. anything i should know? the rates seem too good to be true.

thanks so much in advance.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 06:47 PM

I'm renting with VIP in a few weeks, my dealings with them have been great, they were very helpful and payment was easy. That being said there is another thread trashing them because one fodor member had what they called an unsatisfactory apartment. There have been many people here and on other sites that have very positive reviews of VIP so you can weigh one against the other.

I'm renting this one in 3 weeks
http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_08.htm

It's about the same price range, and the same neighborhood.

You might want to consider it, it has a separate bedroom so you could put the little ones to bed in the bedroom and be relaxing in the living room without disturbing them.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 06:59 PM

Here is the previous customer comment page. There are several positive comments about the apartment we are renting ID08. There are a lot of positives so I felt confident. When are you making your reservation? I will be in our apt from Feb 18 to the 24th, I will send a report on it's condition if you like.

You can also call the New Jersey office to talk to someone there. They are happy to answer questions and help stear to you to an appropriate property to suit your family's needs.

Good luck, I hope you find just the right apartment for your family.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 07:21 AM

The apartment looks clean, bright and attractive, and it is very cheap. However, here are some issues:

What floor is it on and is there an elevator? Do you want to haul two small children up and down stairs several times a day?

It is "5 or 6 minutes" from the nearest Metro. Is that for good strong adult walkers? How long would it be with small children (it would be useful to know their ages) in tow? What about strollers on the Metro stairs?

"Two minutes from Invalides by bus" at what time of day? If it is the bus route along rue de Grenelle and rue St Dominique, that line is frequently clogged by traffic. In general, it is not easy to get to the more interesting parts of Paris from this neighborhood. It's an interesting enough area in itself, but access to the 1st (Louvre), 3rd (Marais), 5th (Sorbonne, Cluny Museum), 6th (St Germain)arrondisements takes time, especially if you are dragging strollers on and off buses. Changing metro lines at Concorde with small children would not be my idea of fun.

Will these children go to sleep on one of the foldout beds while you two stay up and read or watch television or will you all have to go to bed at the same time? Can you and your partner happily share a double rather than a queen sized bed?

The apartment is 250 sq ft, including kitchen and bath. Two full sized beds occupy roughly 70 sq ft. Is there room to move around?

Have you ever used a European washer and dryer? It generally takes an hour for a load of wash, smaller than you may be used to at home, and twice that for a load of drying. These are very energy efficient (we have Bosch here in the States) but you may not be getting what you think you are getting from the ad.

This would be a good deal for two adults, and we have happily stayed in a similarly sized place in the area, but I question it for a couple with small children. Sorry to rain on the parade.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 08:43 AM

There is no elevator so it's walking up two flights of stairs. You don't say how old the children are and I thought the same as above. It could be a long walk to the metro for the children if they are very young.

The studio looks nice, bright and cheerful.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks y'all so much. Celticharper, i'd love any feedback when you get back. Our boys are 9 and 4. Fairly well-traveled. We;ve been to paris before with them and stayed in a dive way out...and it was fine really, although the idea of having a kitchen was apealing just for keeping their milk and juice which had been harder at the hotel. they are used to walking a bunch and we just did Italy with backpacks and they were toupers. we spend very little time in the room. only for crashing. my biggest concern is safety and is the building/apt safe for us coming and going a lot and is the company legit. thanks for the heads up on the washer/drayer- i would have had no idea. also, i usually avoid les halles for metro...cant recall concorde- would that be similar? They are great on metro, but there are sill a few stops we certainly avoid.
thanks so much , i'd love any further feedback this has been so helpful and i think through this process.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 08:55 AM

I like the apt celticcharpter is renting better for a couple of reasons. It isn't far from rue Cler and -- the The famous Poujauran boulangerie is right around the corner on rue Jean Nocot. Yummy. I stayed one street over on Rue Malar and bought my breakfst at Poujauran every morning. There are several small restaurants in this area.

This apt has a separate water closet, convenient for four people if one is the shower. There is one less flight of stairs to climb. And the separate bedroom is a big plus.

And you will see the Eiffel Tower every time you walk outside.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 09:01 AM

"my biggest concern is safety and is the building/apt safe for us coming and going a lot"

I don't think you need be concerned about safety in either of those neighborhoods. Rue Cler is busy night and day and rue Dominique is a busy main street.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 10:06 AM

The apt. is in a perfectly safe area, no need to worry about that at all. I think it's very close to the metro stop, and you won't really fine a lot of apts any closer -- it's only a couple blocks, so I wouldn't worry about that. As for Concorde -- yes, it's a fairly big metro stop, but there is no RER through there and it's not like Chatelet-Les Halles, if that's the one you mean. I think the big stops to avoid are the super huge ones with all kinds of metro connections plus an RER and/or train. Chatelet-Les Halles is the one I hate most, but Montparnasse is huge, also.

I think the apt. looks quite nice for that size; of course, it's basically just a large room at only 25 m2 or whatever it is. So I think the rate at $135 is reasonable, but not super cheap for that size apt. That's about 95 euro. If it were 60 euro or less, I'd consider it really cheap. Also, it only has sofabeds which a lot of folks don't like that well.

That company is perfectly legitimate, they've been in business a lot of years.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 10:07 AM

I'll bookmark this thread and send a report from Paris when we arrive on Feb 18th. When I was booking this apt I did so by calling the NJ office to talk to an actual person and ask my questions. I spoke with Donna Reynolds who said that she had stayed in this particular apartment on Rue St Dominique and found it a lovely quiet place to stay. Our keys arrived this week with a map and detailed instructions on using the metro and RER.

If you go to google earth put in the address you can do a street view and walk down the streets to see if the neighborhood is what you have in mind for your "Paris experience". Using this technique you can check out the walk to the metro station and to the eiffel tower. You can get a good feel for the area to see if it's too far to walk or if the walk is interesting enough that it won't seem long.

I love being able to walk out my door and be among the restaurants and boulangeries and shops. When we travel it's our custom to take a walk after dinner, I like the idea of an evening promenade to the Eiffel Tower, that is one of the things I am most looking forward to.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 11:28 AM

For me to travel with two children I'd prefer to have another room so I could put them to bed and we could have some quiet time. Otherwise, you all have to go to bed at the same time. We id lots of camping with our kids so I know all about sleeping in small spaces with them.

The apartment looks fine. the are is great for kids.

sounds like a good choice for you.

We will be in Paris from FEB 20th til the 28. also in a VIP apartment.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 01:06 PM

What a coincidence. Which apartment did you choose? We made our arrangements very quickly as this trip was my Christmas present so all the research of where to stay was done pretty quickly. VIP has been great to work with so far, I hope that the apt lives up to my expectations.

I hope we have good weather, I'm checking the 10 day forcasts for Paris and it seems to be inching up towards the low 40's. I hope that trend continues.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 01:19 PM

I'm hoping for good weather too. Since we are from So. Ca. we don't do "cold" very well.

We chose #79.

I like Rue Cler. I like Rue Montorguiel even moore.

Is ther a way to send private messages on this forum?

Perhaps we could get together for a drink.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 01:36 PM

Oh how funny, we were considering that one as well. We went with #08 after a check of the specials page showed a 15% discount for rentals through the end of Feb.

I'd love to my email is [email protected] send me a message and maybe we can connect
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 01:57 PM

We have not stayed in that apartment but have stayed in a hotel a few blocks away. We liked the neighborhood and felt very safe there. Be sure to see the Eiffel Tower at night when it "sparkles" on the hour.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 02:07 PM

Celticharper, I sent you an e-mail Did you get it?

Suzanne
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 03:04 PM

Hi Celticharper. I'd just like to chime in here and say that I've rented from VIP before (it was for Dec. '08/ Jan. '09) and had a very nice experience with them. My 2 sisters and I rented this apartment:

http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_18.htm

We were quite pleased with it and anything we needed in terms of food or other amenities was just right across the street from us. I'd never stayed in the 4th arr., but after having stayed there, I'm now a fan of that area (I'll be there again in July, but renting an apartment from an owner on VRBO).

The apartment you are renting looks to be a good one and is in a nice area. Last year I took my youngest nephew to London and Paris and even though we wound up staying in a hotel, it's in your neighborhood. You're really close to the Eiffel Tower and Invalides.

What's funny is that you spoke to the same lady I spoke to back in 2008 when I rented from them! She was really nice (we have the same last name) and the whole renting process was quite smooth. Enjoy your stay in Paris!
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 03:05 PM

I did get your email, and replied.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 03:11 PM

The Marais was the other area we strongly considered. I'm not ashamed to admit to the tourist fantasy of walking by the Eiffel Tower all lit up at night, so this will probably be our nighttime ritual either after dinner in the neighborhood or on the way "home" from other parts of the city.

So far I've found VIP to be a wonderful company to work with my emails with them are great and the people that I spoke with on the phone a pleasure. We haven't rented before and my husband was very dubious about the process, but it's been very easy.