Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Vacation in Paris Apts - Feedback? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/vacation-in-paris-apts-feedback-767403/)

chas_lady Feb 13th, 2009 01:33 PM

Vacation in Paris Apts - Feedback?

Many Fodorites have recommended Vacation in Paris apartments on this forum, and since my husband loves to shop at the markets and cook, we're going to try an apartment this visit.

We'd like to stay in the 7th, preferably close to a Metro stop, and we're looking for something around $200/night. So far, I've identified these possibilities:

Rue Cler Delight II
www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_181.htm

Rue Cler Delight
www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_155

Eiffel Hideaway
www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_56.htm

Has anyone stayed in these apartments, and if so, what were the pros/cons?

I'm concerned that none of them seem to have much of a view. We don't mind just a street view, as I enjoy people watching, but these seem all face a courtyard. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I love the streets of Paris!

We're planning the trip for mid-June, 5 nights in Paris. Any suggestions or feedback would be much appreciated!

Christina Feb 13th, 2009 02:13 PM

sorry, haven't stayed in them, but your second link doesn't work as you cut off the htm

Do you know what Rue Cler is like? Because I would not think you'd want an apt. that looked right out onto it and was only on the 2nd or 3rd floor, I think it would be very noisy. So if they do look only onto an interior, it would be quieter. I rented an apt. a few months ago that had a street address of rue Mouffetard and I couldn't imagine that only the owner said the apt. was in the rear of this building and only looked onto the interior ctyrd. Which it did, and it was very quiet. But5 it would have been really noisy right on a pedestrian street.

A lot of Paris apts don't have much of a view, anyway, only of another building or wall, especially at the budget level.

dlejhunt Feb 14th, 2009 04:10 PM

I would check out VRBO...there are a few apartments close to rue Cler listed in your price range. If you are going to be in Paris the week of June 15th, try this one:

http://www.vrbo.com/182256

We did stay in an apartment last summer that was at the corner of rue de Grenelle/rue Cler and it was noisy on the weekends but fine during the week. The pluses of that location far outweighed the minuses.

dandj2 Feb 14th, 2009 06:29 PM

Chas lady..

If you dont mind me asking.
Why Rue Cler?

We have stayed in Marias yet are open to learning of other areas.

trafaelwyr Feb 15th, 2009 04:58 AM

@dandj2 - I think chas_lady wants to stay in that area for the markets per her original post. I can understand wanting to stay in the 7th, it's always been my preferred area, but this past December/January, my 2 sisters and I stayed in the Marais area and LOVED it! The apartment we stayed in, rented through Vacations In Pars (http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_18.htm) was just the right size and anything we needed was pretty much right across the street and/or down a bit towards the metro stop. Even though the company has the apartment listed as being in the 3rd, it's actually the 4th.

avalon Feb 15th, 2009 05:10 AM

I've not stayed in any of those apts . I don't find rue Cler much of a market, rather it's a market street. The MArais has 2 great real markets, Richard Lenoir and Enfant Rouge.

I willl though heartily recommend Vacation in Paris agency. They are a delight to deal with. Your key and information packet are delivered promptly and as soon as they get the key back, the deposit is quickly refunded.

dina4 Feb 15th, 2009 05:31 AM

"The MArais has 2 great real markets, Richard Lenoir and Enfant Rouge."

avalon -- we rented an apt in the marais. where exactly are these markets? we'd love to visit them!

Rich Feb 15th, 2009 05:46 AM

Neither of those appartments are on rue Clair . . both several blocks from it

dandj2 Feb 15th, 2009 06:28 AM

trafaelwyr,

the apt. looks nice and would fit our needs. i have sent an email to them checking availability.

dandj2 Feb 15th, 2009 06:30 AM

forgot to add that it is on the same street we stayed last time.

great location with markets and stores all around.

we walked to Notre Dame and Sorbonne with no trouble.

avalon Feb 15th, 2009 06:58 AM

dina, The Richard Lenoir market is on Blvd Richard Lenoir that starts right at Bastille.It is on Thus and Sundays. We always make at least 1 trip there on every visit. The man selling flavored fleur de Sel is a must stop. ANd lots of free samples too!!!

Enfant Rouge is on rue de Bretagne, it's open every day except Monday but there are more vendors at the weekend

ANyone really intersted in markets should try to find a caop of Paris in a basket. It details all the various markets , and the vendors along with beautiful pictures and recipes.

Also the Aligre is very near the MArais , open all week but also more vendors on week-ends

Rich Feb 15th, 2009 07:34 AM

Dandj2 . . if you stay there would you post back with how it was . . I lived not to far from there ( rue Amelie ) in the early 80's and wouild like to go back for a visit sometime

dandj2 Feb 15th, 2009 07:47 AM

what is a caop of Paris?

Rich,
we arent going until fall but i will take pictures and write report on the apt. we stay in.

Reading about Paris it looks like Marias and Rue Cler are the most popular.

Rick Steves recommends Rue Cler.
I like him no matter if others dont.

Rich Feb 15th, 2009 07:52 AM

I think Avelon ment "copy"

trafaelwyr Feb 15th, 2009 08:41 AM

@dandj2 - It really was a nice apartment. It faced out onto the courtyard (well, more like the roof of some sort of building below) and had 2 bedrooms. The owner of the place was very prompt in addressing our needs while we were there, specifically replacing the refrigerator that was there as it wasn't working. So, brand new refrig in the apartment. There's a Monoprix directly across the street from the apartment - and if you decide not to shop there, then there's a Franprix and Bon Marche on the same side going toward the St. Paul Metro stop. I'm really, really glad we stayed in this area! My original choice was an apartment - from the same agency - closer towards the Defense, but that was already booked for the time we were going to be there. I couldn't have been happier with our second choice and I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

chevre Feb 15th, 2009 08:45 AM

Second those touting Vacation Paris apts. I stayed in one in the 7th on Rue St. Dominique. It was small of course but well located. The agency was great and I had my deposit back within a week of sending back the key.
For a week's stay it beats out hotel prices by far if you don't need or want the amenities of a hotel.

nancy1652 Feb 15th, 2009 11:13 AM

In 2007, We stayed for a month in an apt. between Richard Lenoir and Enfant Rouge markets. Last year, we stayed for six weeks two blocks from Rue Moufftard. I think any of those three markets are far superior to Rue Cler. As for being close to a metro stop, I don't think the 7th is the best location for that either.

sf7307 Feb 15th, 2009 12:01 PM

All, are the markets everyone is discussing <i>food</i> markets, <i>flea</i> markets or something else (what?)? (I love the food and &quot;other&quot; markets, but hate flea markets,so just curious)

chas_lady Feb 16th, 2009 11:31 AM

Thanks for all the info and feedback. We want to stay in the 7th because we've found it to be quiet, and it is near the Eiffel Tower and the Rodin Museum, which I plan to walk to during our visit. And we had considered taking a night cruise on the Seine, which leaves from the Eiffel Tower area as well.

However, I would consider other areas, but the choices seem overwhelming! I appreciate the options many of you have listed here, and will investigate them. Sounds like many agree that working with Vacations in Paris has been a positive experience.

And speaking of markets, my husband likes shopping in Rue Cler at the food stands, but he mentioned going to a flea market this trip. Are there any flea markets you would recommend/avoid? (We'll be in Paris during the weekend).

Thanks again for the info!

Chas_Lady