Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Vacation in Paris Apartments (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/vacation-in-paris-apartments-790892/)

disneymania4444 Jun 18th, 2009 05:39 PM

Vacation in Paris Apartments

We are first timers in Paris and trying to go the apt route. It seems there are many positive posts on Vacation in Paris.

Anyone stay at the ID #149? Champs Elysees?

That's what we have booked so far.

Do you know how far it is from the Metro/train station?

Also does anyone have any recommendations for a hotel close to the CDG airport and Euro Disney?

Thanks!

jetsetj Jun 18th, 2009 05:41 PM

Champs Elysees and EuroDisney..
Are you sure its Paris you want to see?

travginny Jun 18th, 2009 05:53 PM

http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/sub/149_photos.htm

nancylgartner Jun 18th, 2009 05:56 PM

Try rentalfrance.com. Love Pascal's apartment on Rue Champs du Mars. The 7th arrondissment is lovely, quiet and Rue Cler is a great market street. Apartment living is a great way to experience any city. It's so nice to see Paris from the neighborhoods.

disneymania4444 Jun 18th, 2009 06:40 PM

I thought Champs Elysees is a central location close to many touristy sites.

Thanks travginny-that is the site I was looking at. Looks VERY nice on the net.

adrienne Jun 18th, 2009 07:02 PM

Looking at the map, the apartment is about a 5 minute walk to the metro on line 1 (that's the line you will use most of the time). Everywhere in Paris is close to a metro station.

You asked how far the apartment is from a train station but Paris has at least 6 train station and I think it's 7 now. What train station are you interested in. If you are thinking of walking to a train station I would suggest a cab.

It's not the most central area to be in but it's not too far out either. Take a look at this link that shows many monuments and museums. Your apartment is near #18.

http://www.paris.org/Maps/MM/

I hope you will be buying a map before your trip so you can plan what to see and how to get there.

Will someone be meeting you in Paris to show you how things work in the apartment and to give advice on the neighborhood (grocery stores, restaurants, etc.)? If not, you should at least find out where the closest grocery store is.

BarbaraMH Jun 18th, 2009 07:10 PM

We used Vacations in Paris 2 years ago and they were wonderful. We stayed in the Place des Victoires apartment. Loved it. Champs Elysees area is very nice, parts of it very residential and can be a bit of a distance from some of the other "hot spots" in Paris. But the place looks lovely from the pictures and the Metro is SO EASY to get wherever you want to go.

As for Disney, we have kids and my husband is also a Disney maniac, so we've been to Disneyland Paris 5, 6, 7 times... I've lost count. We've always stayed at one of the Disney hotels. Did you look into them already? Otherwise, it's not like WDW in Florida, at least as far as I remember, in terms of having tons of other accommodations nearby. Will you have a car or be using the Metro for Disneyland Paris? My husband just said if you go to the website for Disney Paris, they have a listing of "good neighbor" hotels. Have fun!

Guenmai Jun 18th, 2009 07:43 PM

I had really great service from vacationinparis.com. I had #122. in the 6th where I've basically stayed since 81 although I've stayed all over Paris since 75 or 76. The apartment you picked looks really nice, I personally wouldn't have chosen the Champs Elysees area . I would have gone for the 6th, 5th, I'le St.Louis, the 7th, or the Marais. Happy Travels!

azgirl Jun 18th, 2009 09:31 PM

Hi Disneymania,

Like you, we are also a family of four with kids in their 20s. We will be going to Paris in October, so I have also been researching apartments and Disneyland Paris. We love Disney (have Disneyland California APs), so Disneyland Paris is a must for us. From what I've read, it is easily accessible from central Paris on the RER A line, which you can easily access from your apartment at Charles de Gaulle Etoile, and it is about a 40 minute ride to Disneyland. This is the metro map I have been using to get a sense of which Metro/train lines to use: http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan...f=metro&fm=gif

As a side note, I have also booked with Vacation In Paris. We are staying in this apartment: http://vacationinparis.com/apts/id_158.htm It is close to three metro lines and the RER A line too.

Have fun and please post a trip report when you return.

hmmm Jun 18th, 2009 11:58 PM

The nearest metro is Georges V. The apartment is near many monuments and sites. We walked to the Eiffel Tower from it-twice, though it's not within spitting distance. Paris is best enjoyed while strolling.

Christina Jun 19th, 2009 08:51 AM

Champs-Elysees is central enough, it's just not a residential neighborhood that much.

disneymania4444 Jun 19th, 2009 07:26 PM

adrienne,
Thanks for the map site. I bought lots of guides which have maps in the back of each. I got Rick Steve's and Dummies and Fodors.
No one is meeting us, but I am told there is a notebook there that tells you how to work the appliances and where to find the essentials.
I guess I was thinking of a train station for Versailles.

azgirl,
Thanks for the metro map. Very useful!! Your apt looks very nice!! Enjoy!

Barbara MH-my kids thought it would be so cool to see Disney and speak French!! One took 10 yrs of French. Is it similar to just Magic Kingdom in WDW? They also have a studios there now. I guess similar ot MGM? I haven't explored the site at all yet. Too busy finding an apt.No, we won't have a car.

Guenmai,
Why do you not like the Champs area?

hmmm-thanks for the nearest metro name.

Guenmai Jun 20th, 2009 10:19 AM

Disneymania4444-It's just that that area is not very residential to me and is always so busy. But, if that's the apartment that you like and will suit your needs then go for it. After all, it's Paris and you'll have a great time.

And by the way, I went to EuroDisney back when they had the opening over a decade ago.

I've heard that a lot of new things have been added, like rides, I think. My Parisian friend was there just last month with his work colleagues and then last weekend he took his cousins kids there for the day. He hadn't been in 10 years, I think he said, so it had changed quite a bit since its beginnings.

I'm from L.A. area so have been going to Disneyland forever. I first went to Disneyland, in the late 50s when I was around 3. There's a photo of me standing in front of the floral Mickey. Disneyland opened in 1955. I'll always have a fondness for Disneyland and as a foreign poster said on another travel forum...that, in her experience, Disneyland/Anaheim was the"Happiest Place On Earth". She's been to them all except the one in Japan. But, go and have a blast! Happy Travels!

disneymania4444 Jun 20th, 2009 10:39 AM

Guenmai,
At this late date, we don't have a whole lot to choose from, esp since we want air. I hope it turns out ok.

If you are from LA, then you are truly familiar with Disney. Will be interesting to compare. We usually go to WDW.

Guenmai Jun 21st, 2009 10:26 PM

I'm sure you'll be fine in your selected apartment and area. Just have fun!
And as for WDW, I've never been. I once went to Orlando, for a day, but no time to check WDW out. Smiles. Happy Travels!

hmmm Jun 21st, 2009 10:54 PM

Disneyland Paris is compact and more like Disneyland, CA than Disneyworld, FL, though Disneyland Paris is in the middle of nowhere.

adrienne Jun 22nd, 2009 07:44 AM

<< I guess I was thinking of a train station for Versailles. >>

Not sure if you got your answer about Versailles. You do not take a train from one of the train stations; take the train that goes on line RER C. You need a separate ticket for this train; the normal metro tickets do not work and will not allow you to exit the station in Versailles. If you do not have the correct ticket you may be fined.

Get off at Versailles Rive Gauche (make sure the train goes to Rive Gauche since there are 2 different train stations in Versailles and the trains only stop at 1 of the stations, depending on which train you take). Look at the lighted sign in the RER station for the stop that the train will make.

Exit the station to the right and follow others going to the Chateau. It's a short walk.

disneymania4444 Jun 23rd, 2009 07:59 PM

adrienne,

Thanks for your detailed explanation to use the RER C to Versailles.

Similar to Disneyland is fine. The kids will probably get a kick out of it.