Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Vacation in Paris #201 in Marais (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/vacation-in-paris-201-in-marais-813490/)

Pegsimba Nov 7th, 2009 01:59 PM

Vacation in Paris #201 in Marais

Has anyone stayed in this unit? http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_201.htm. We are two friends considering staying here. It looks like a nice, quiet unit (with no steps!) and it says it is quiet. however, I have checked on Google maps and it is on a busy street, though on a courtyard. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Seamus Nov 7th, 2009 04:54 PM

Have not stayed at this property, have rented from VIP and they were quite good to work with, friendly and responsive.
The place looks fine, though it appears that the shower is open directly to the bedroom if that matters. Location is great. It is a fairly busy street but not a huge boulevard and if it is on the interior courtyard as it seems to be noise should no be a problem. If you do rent it, please report back.

cw Nov 7th, 2009 07:00 PM

I have no familiarity with the property, but as it's located in an interior courtyard area, I think it would be quiet. It's in a really good location.

Do think about whether the apartment set-up will be awkward for you. As Seamus says, the shower is open to the bedroom so unless you're both on the same schedule, the bathroom arrangements could be inconvenient.

Also, I wonder if the apartment is dark--the only windows seem to be on the interior terrace. If you're there at a time of the year when you can take advantage of the outdoor space, I think it may be fine. The apartment itself looks lovely.

Christina Nov 8th, 2009 09:26 AM

It could be fine, it's a little hard for me to figure out that patio thing, I'd want to ask what it opens onto. It says it is private, but I can see a building or something right behind a rather low wall on that patio. If that is the street, no way would I rent that apt myself for noise and security reasons. If that is the interior courtyard area of a private building, I wouldn't be so worried about those things.

I agree the bathroom doesn't look the best situation for two friends, but may be do-able if you don't spend a lot of time in the bathroom. I guess you'll have to toss for the bed vs. sofa.

It's not for me as I dislike the artwork a lot on the walls and there is not one visible decent light in the living room, and I like to read -- but I'm not crazy about that area and if you are, it could work if you don't care about the things that are negatives to me.

Suspaul Nov 8th, 2009 03:41 PM

Hi Pegsimba, I have stayed in this apartment and loved it. 2 of us stayed there this past April and as a matter of fact I'm returning to Paris tomorrow for a week and hoped to stay there again but it was not available.

The location is great, several buses stop right outside of the outer door, the St. Paul metro is about 1/2 blocks down, there is a grocery, think it may be Franprix across the street, a Monoprix a little further down to your left, also there is a market across the street that sells the rotisserie chickens and potatoes, very good for a meal in the apartment, also many bakeries near, everything you'll need.

We found the apartment lovely, no stairs to climb, comfortable furnishings, comfy bed and the toilet room is in the main part of the apartment while the shower and vanity/sink are indeed in the bedroom. The kitchen was adequate and don't get fooled by those bar stools, there are several plastic chairs and a table that are more comfortable. My friend and I switched out 1/2 way thru our week between the bedroom and the sofa bed, the sofa bed was easy to pull out and comfortable to me. There is a nice little enclosed courtyard with sliding doors leading out to it, the weather wasn't conducive to sitting outside but it was nice to open the door for a bit of air. The courtyard is surrounded by tall walls so it is somewhat private and does not open to the street. There are mini blinds in the living and kitchen area that can be opened for light and while it will not get bright sunlight it was more than adequate to us. Also wi-fi is included as is the free telephone calls to the US and some other countries. Also, the apartment itself was very quiet other than the fact that you did hear other tenants coming in and climbing the stairs.

Loved, loved, loved the location and will definitely stay there again.

Hope this helps.
Susan

teacherCanada Nov 8th, 2009 03:58 PM

I find this latest response stunning. I don't know of another message board where one can ask such a specific question about accommodations in a city the size of Paris - and get a response from someone who has actually stayed in that room. Truly amazing. Congratulations Pegsimba on asking the question and kudos to Suspaul for answering so directly. Well done.

p.s. I think the only piece of information Pegsimba needs now is the brand of toilet paper available at that location!

tC

opaldog Nov 8th, 2009 05:40 PM

How would this apartment be for 2 adults and 2 small children? My daughter and family are thinking of Paris this summer and are looking for an apartment that preferably has air conditioning as she worries about opening the large windows with 2 small children. I wondered if this place being on the ground floor and being able to open the door to the terrace would be both large enough and airy enough (for the summertime). Suspaul, what is your opinion?

Pegsimba Nov 8th, 2009 05:50 PM

Wow - Suspaul! Than you so much for the firsthand info! It was exactly what I needed to make up my mind. Now, I just hope it is available for my dates. I had noticed the glass walled shower, but as I ran into that in Munich when traveling with a friend, I was not too concerned. we just took turns in the shower while the other was occupied dong something else. Isn't this Fodors board terrific?? I will definitely write a Trip report when I return.

Suspaul Nov 8th, 2009 07:18 PM

teacherCanada - no clue as to the brand but it was pink! :)
Yes it was a surprise that this is the apartment I stayed at several months ago, I was glad to be able to help.

I am staying in VIP #192 on this trip, will arrive Tuesday 11.10.09 for a week stay, totally different part of the city and a new area to explore. I've used Vacation In Paris 6 or 7 times in the past 5 years and as one would imagine, some are better than others but only one apartment was not to my liking and they were able to move me right away.

opaldog - don't know how well this would work with 4, I guess it is doable as the sofa bed is either a double or queen sized but it is a very small apartment. As to AC, not so sure this apartment has it and truthfully, due to the high walls around the courtyard area I'm not sure you'd get enough ventilation, tho there was a fan in the bedroom I think. Just keep in mind that it does get quite toasty during the summer months.

Pegsimba - the shower situation was not a problem for us either, we just took turns and the other person did something else. Also, I did like very much that the toilet was a tiny room in the main area of the apartment.

When will you be going to Paris? Have a wonderful time and we all look forward to your trip report when you return.

Susan

E
Susan

Suspaul Nov 8th, 2009 07:23 PM

guess I should have done a preview before hitting submit....don't know where the E and 2nd Susan came from, must be user problem, ha!

knighton Sep 26th, 2010 06:51 PM

Pegsimba, how was your stay in 201? My husband and I are considering booking it. Was it dark, or was there adequate light? Thanks for the info.

avalon Sep 27th, 2010 12:12 AM

Knighton this post was a year old. I'm staying there next week and will post back for you.

knighton Sep 27th, 2010 07:57 AM

Thanks so much, avalon. Have a great trip!