Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Vacation In Paris #122 Reviews/Tips/Suggestions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/vacation-in-paris-122-reviews-tips-suggestions-771058/)

pboy266 Mar 5th, 2009 10:42 AM

Vacation In Paris #122 Reviews/Tips/Suggestions?

Hi...

I will be making my first trip to Paris in April 2009 and am booked in Vacation In Paris #122. I did a search and found a few positive remarks about this apt which certainly makes me happy, but I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me a more detailed review of the apartment/neighborhood?? I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

Pam

enzian Mar 5th, 2009 10:53 AM

Pam,

Is this the correct apartment?

http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_122.htm

It helps to post the link so that those who want to comment don't have to go searching for it.

I can't comment on the specific apartment or location, but we have used Vacation in Paris and have only positive things to say about them----professional, responsive, easy to work with.

Have a great time in Paris!

sassy_cat Mar 5th, 2009 11:06 AM

I considered this apartment last year but my DH is 6'4" so it looked like he'd hit his head when going to bed (sloping ceiling).

JulieVikmanis Mar 5th, 2009 01:54 PM

Looks like a lovely apartment. It's in a lively neighborhood, which means that there are lots of restaurants and shops nearby. The one possible problem would be street noise.

pboy266 Mar 6th, 2009 09:45 AM

Yes, that is the place... sorry for not posting the link.

Thanks for your responses. VIP has been great to work with so far, and I have also heard other positive feedback on them.

It is only my sister and I staying there so the sloping ceiling isn't an issue for us.

The neighborhood sounds perfect... Thanks for replying.

Suzanne2 Mar 6th, 2009 09:54 AM

There is a guy who posts on Trip advisor who stays in that apartment every year. i think there is someone here on this forum who does also. Try a search.

Cathinjoetown Mar 6th, 2009 09:59 AM

I stayed there for a week last September. Loved it!

The apt. door key can be tricky--eventually we only locked the top lock which opened with either one turn to the right or left; can't remember.

Key to front door was easy. We never had a second set of keys which was annoying as we didn't want to do the same things all the time (we did phone for a set).

I kept getting the floor wet when showering--might have been me but also no real floor mat provided.

As with most French apt. buildings, hallways and foyer lights are on timers but easy to find.

But, this is minor stuff. The apartment is lovely and a great location. Washer almost spins clothes dry; overnight hang did the rest--all appliances in good shape--an "American" and continental coffee maker, etc.

Loft area is very spacious; bed is great. My friend said pull-out sofa bed in the living room was fine.

Have a WONDERFUL time.

Cathinjoetown Mar 6th, 2009 10:01 AM

Forgot to mention, some street noise when windows are open but not terrible and typical for a mostly pedestrian street--early morning trash pickup and street washing every day.

crefloors Mar 6th, 2009 10:12 AM

That apartment is in a great location. You are very close to many cool streets and sites.

Suki Mar 6th, 2009 10:14 AM

I think both Guenmai and avalon have also stayed in this apartment so you should get even more feedback.

azzure Mar 6th, 2009 10:44 AM

Apartment and location are great, and I love that you can pay by credit card...so much easier than mailing/wiring money etc.

pboy266 Mar 6th, 2009 12:41 PM

Thank you all! I am getting so excited... My sister is actually studying in Tours this year and I am meeting her in Paris for her spring break. I sent her a bunch of apts and she picked that one based on location - and it sounds like she did a good job!

Cathinjoetown - I appreciate the specifics :-)) Thank you. As for the street noise, it won't be my little ones whining that they want breakfast so it will be just fine with me :-))

avalon Mar 6th, 2009 12:52 PM

We stayed there a few months ago and loved it. The only tricky thing was the apt door key. One night we couldn't get the door open so as it was quite late and the contact persons phone number was in the apt, we decided to go back to our regular hotel for the night then get in contact with VIP in the morning. We didn't want to chance the Danube not having a room so went across to the hotel around the corner. The desk man heard me explaining our problem and told me French locks can be tricky. He kindly came back with us and opened the door on the first try! The secret is to pull the door firmly toward you while turning the key.No problems after the lesson.

The location is great. A very short walk to St Michel metro and numerous bus lines, a boulangerie a few doors away also several crepe restos, and various cafes. We had our laptop and took advantage of the free wifi. There is an internet cafe around the corner.

I didn't bother using the washer as there are 2 laundromats a very short distance away that are quicker to usse. I put the clothes in go for a coffee thne put the stuff in dryer and have another cup!

There is a large supermarket about a 5 minute walk and a Monoprix in the other direction, about 10 minutes.

The bed was quite comfortable. Having the extra bath room makes it really nice for 2 people.

My husband is also 6'4" but the beams are only on 1 side of the loft so he just stayed on his side of the bed!!

Guenmai Mar 6th, 2009 06:24 PM

I had that apartment and have stayed in that neighborhood, almost annually, since 1981. If you pull up my, "Guenmai's Paris Apartment Rental Experience" thread, all the info is there. You can probably just click on my name and scroll or try in the SEARCH box. However, a lot of threads are still not coming up by using the SEARCH box. I'll try to find it and top it for you. Happy Travels!

Cries_Van_Notebook Mar 6th, 2009 06:46 PM

I would KILL to stay in that location.

Thin

Guenmai Mar 6th, 2009 06:51 PM

As for street noise, it wasn't a problem. I think there was double window glass. Plus, I always travel with foam earphones. Also, the street it's on is a very narrow, single-lane, one-way street...wide enough for a van to get down.

Directly across the street is a crepe restaurant that I've been eating at for decades. There's a to-go window where one can order or one can eat inside the restaurant. I've only used the to-go window.

And the famous Allard Bistro is less than a 5-minute walk away, one street south, on a tiny street.

There's a Starbucks on the same side of the street a few steps away.

The big grocery store is on the corner of rue de Seine and rue Buci. Walk to your RIGHT after exiting the building and when the rue St. Andres des Arts ( the street the building is on) ends, a block later, it changes name to rue Buci. That street is also a short street.

Also in that block of rue Buci is a great bakery , deli, and flower shop. Also Paul's is on the corner of rue Buci and rue de Seine.

And if you want some really delicious healthy food, Guenmai vegetarian/macro/vegan restaurant is on the street that runs into the rue Buci, between rue de Seine and Blvd. St. Germain. It's a big green and white building. You can't miss it. You can google the restaurant. It's the oldest organic restaurant in Paris and run by the same family that lives above it. And no, I have no connections with the restaurant. I've had this nickname since the 80s when I was macro and I've eaten there regularly since the 80s. It's a very Parisian experience and I've seen some of the same Parisian customers since I first started eating there. It's a neighborhood hangout.

If you need a clothes dryer, the laundromat in on rue de Seine, about a half a block north of rue Buci and on the west side of the street.

I recently wrote up a very detailed touring plan on places/sights around Paris to visit and which buses to take to get there from the 6th. I wrote it for fodorite, Yellowrose. She and her husband are leaving for their first trip next week I think. So, maybe you can click, on her name, to find it or click on my name. I'll try to locate it for you.

As for the key, I had no problem. I always pull the door in.

As for the shower, just turn the shower head in the direction of the shower wall.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'll be here, at home, until I arrive in Paris, on April 08th. I'll leave L.A., on the 03rd, however. Happy Travels!

Guenmai Mar 6th, 2009 07:09 PM

I've topped Yellowrose477's thread entitled, "Which Apartment Would You Choose?". If you scroll down to January 17th, or maybe it was the 19th, then I've given detailed instructions on how to get from the 6th to many sites and by bus. The apartment that she and her husband will have, very soon, is not far from #122. It's near rue de Seine . So, if you just walk to rue de Seine, at rue Buci, you can use the same directions. Happy Travels!

abranz Mar 6th, 2009 08:49 PM

23 days until i walk into v.i.p. #122. yippee!!!

yellowrose477 Mar 7th, 2009 07:36 AM

pboy - I tried to get #122 on guenmai's advice but it was already booked. The apartment that we got is very close to yours. We leave on Friday and I am getting very excited. I got a lot of good advice, so if you have time, check out the thread guenmai topped for you. I plan on walking by #122 to see where we would have been if we had gotten that apartment. But I am very happy with all of my plans so far. Have a great time when you go!

pboy266 Mar 7th, 2009 11:56 AM

Thank you so very much for all this detailed info. I will definitely check out the other referenced threads as well. I am getting so excited. I leave April 17th... six weeks from yesterday.

Avalon and Guenmai - thank you for your detailed posts! Crepes across the street will be very dangerous....

Happy, safe travels all!!
Pam