Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Vacation in mid-March.......Portugal and/or Spain ~ or Paris and Normandy?

Old Aug 5th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for a destination for a trip mid-March to late March.

Am I correct that the weather would probably be better in Spain and Portugal than in Paris and Normandy?

Anyone been either place in March?
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 02:10 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes you are correct. I was in Paris in late March and it was cold, nothing in bloom , of course. Normandy would have even more harsh weather then.
I was in Spain one time in November and it was pleasant enough.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 02:38 PM

I agree, Spain/Portugal sounds much better for that weather.
My MIL recently came from Paris/Normandy, and even in mid-late July Normandy was rainy and cold. I assume it would me much worse in March.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 02:50 PM

We were in Andalusia, Spain this past March from the 12th until April 7. Temps were rather cool in the evening but daytime temps mostly very pleasant. Similar visits to Paris at that same time weather was much colder, rainy and not so pleasant. Hope this helps, Deborah
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 03:56 PM

Weather variable. Spain is a huge count.
Nothing can be predicted even by the weather history websites.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 03:57 PM

sorry that should read "Spain is a huge country."
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 04:29 PM

I did Portugal in March one year and loved it.
Also, consider Sicily for good temps.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 05:32 PM

Southern Spain should be quite pleasant. Madrid can still be chilly. Both will be warmer and less likely to be rainy that Paris (but any weather is great in Paris) or Normandy.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 06:10 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Brief trip report from late February a couple of years ago in southern Andalusia - http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ruary-2012.cfm

My vote would be Spain.
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

How about Madiera Island, is the weather there about the same as Southern Portugal?

Hi Bob! We were considering Sicily. We will be there for 4 nights in October as my niece will be studying there. With 4 nights and being with her, we probably won't be seeing much beyond Ortigia/Syracuse/southern area. And I have heard the Island is stunning. We have never visited Puglia either, so going back to Italy has been considered, it seemed like a good weather choice.

However, we have never been to Portugal, and we will be in Italy this September and October, and again next June. Portugal would be an entirely new place to visit, and we have heard it's beautiful.
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 05:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We have been in both Portugal and Spain in late February and had good weather.

Spain; Starting in Madrid, cool at night, but in the 60's during the day. Then Seville and it was in the low 70's. Ending in Toledo and it was in the high 50's.

Another time, Barcelona, low 70's, but cool at night.

Portugal; Starting in Lisbon, low 70's during the day, but cool at night. Then Evora and on to Obidous, both cooler, but not cold.

When we visited both of these countries and venues again in April, it was shirtsleeve.

Agree that weather can be subjective.
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 06:29 AM

It's encouraging to read about good weather reports in Spain in the spring. We are planning a May 2015 trip and had originally thought that we would do Spain in the spring and France in the fall. Then our son returned from his 3 1/2 weeks in Portugal and Spain in May and early June with reports of cold weather and rain, sometimes torrential (in Barcelona) throughout the trip, while we had enjoyed wonderful sunny days during the same time period in Italy. The research I've done since suggests that, at least in May, we are more likely to have good weather in France than in Spain, though weather is very unpredictable, of course. I can't speak to March, but do check the average temps and rain online.

Sent from my iPad
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 08:01 AM

I haven't been to Portugal yet, but spent 3 weeks in Spain a couple years ago, and it happened to be in March. Beautiful weather, a couple rainy days in Seville if I remember correctly. Uncrowded sights and restaurants. Hope that helps.
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help, we are booked to fly into Lisbon next March!

I will be starting some other threads as I know NOTHING about Portugal and will need a lot of advice!
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 09:09 AM

We did a driving trip in Spain/Portugal, late Feb to mid April a couple of yrs ago. Conditions ranged from fine & cool in Barcelona, where we started, to pleasantly mild and sunny around Seville, Cadiz and the Arcos white towns, to cool and changeable in Portugal and Galicia and the Basque country, to being caught in a severe blizzard in the Picos de Europas, to chilly, windy and dry in Madrid, Toledo and the central parts, to reasonably nice and the beginnings of spring back in Barcelona by the time we departed for home.

So take your pick about the weather in Spain in March, and enjoy it just the same.
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 09:43 AM

You never know, I was in Madrid in late March and it rained a lot and was fairly cool.

I'm not sure why the weather would be that much better in Paris than Spain in May, though. If it's cold in Barcelona in May, it's probably cold in France, also, it's definitely not a colder climate than Paris. So that was probably just an abnormal weather pattern not something you can bet on. May is one of the rainiest months in Paris, for example, and Paris will be a little cooler than Barcelona or Madrid in May (but all acceptable, low 70s in day, typically). It will probably rain about the same number of days in Paris as Barcelona in May, but the quantity of rain could be greater in Barcelona, just a bit (and Madrid).
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 08:02 AM

Hi from Lisbon

Well, although weather is subjective, if it's raining in Portugal, you'll find thumberstorms in France Always better weather here. About Madeira, even better, because both islands (Madeira and Porto Santo) are almost in the Coast of Africa.