Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Using the same credit card with 4 different phones to pay for the tube

Old Jun 1st, 2024, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting conflicting information in my searches, so I wanted to ask if anyone traveling with others has recently been able to use their Apple pay connected to one credit card (one account number/cvv/exp date) on separate phones to pay for the tube without issues? I'm relatively sure this will work, but I just want to hear recent experiences of others if possible. Thanks.
Old Jun 1st, 2024, 07:27 AM

It will work fine. Although it’s only one account the system will recognise each phone as a separate device and record them separately. You could also use any physical cards as well in the same way. What you can’t do is use one physical card or phone for more than one person.
Old Jun 1st, 2024, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Great. Thanks John.
Old Jun 2nd, 2024, 04:59 AM

Will you travel with more than one credit card available ~ Not just for the tube, but all expenses?
Conventional wisdom suggests having more than one financial option, just in case.
Old Jun 2nd, 2024, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we will have a second form of payment available as a back up. Good point.
Old Jun 2nd, 2024, 08:18 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you a family all using the same accounts? Yes, one card on multiple phones will work. But something to think about. If some of your party are kids, they would be charged full adult fares. Depending on ages -- they would qualify for free or discounted fares so you'd want youth Oyster cards instead.
Old Jun 2nd, 2024, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
If some of your party are kids, they would be charged full adult fares. Depending on ages -- they would qualify for free or discounted fares so you'd want youth Oyster cards instead.
My daughter is 18 so no discount there. That leaves my 16 year old son, and while I realize that he would be entitled to a discount I ultimately prefer the less-is-more approach of having everything on his phone.
Old Jun 2nd, 2024, 01:31 PM

Not to be overly alarmist but you may want to contact the credit card before hand. Some fraud departments can be hyper-vigilant. If they see 4 identical charges within a few seconds of each other or even simultaneously it might raise a red flag.
Old Jun 3rd, 2024, 12:32 AM

My wife use separate phones linked to one card and it works fine. If we are doing several trips in one day it even implements the daily cap on fares. What you shouldn't do is use a phone to tap in and a card to tap out as you will likely end up paying max fares and miss out on the daily cap. Make sure all phones are fully charged before setting out!

If you get transaction updates on your phone, then the first use will usually show as 10p until all fares for the day have been calculated and one payment will be collected with the cap applied if applicable usually the next day.

More info here https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/how-to-pay-...-pay-as-you-go

Assuming that you are from overseas, check with your cc provider whether fx transaction fees will apply.
Old Jun 3rd, 2024, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crellston
My wife use separate phones linked to one card and it works fine. If we are doing several trips in one day it even implements the daily cap on fares. What you shouldn't do is use a phone to tap in and a card to tap out as you will likely end up paying max fares and miss out on the daily cap. Make sure all phones are fully charged before setting out!

If you get transaction updates on your phone, then the first use will usually show as 10p until all fares for the day have been calculated and one payment will be collected with the cap applied if applicable usually the next day.

More info here https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/how-to-pay-...-pay-as-you-go

Assuming that you are from overseas, check with your cc provider whether fx transaction fees will apply.
Wow, lots of excellent info here. Thank you!
Old Jun 3rd, 2024, 03:50 AM

You are very welcome. I forgot to add that in addition to the Underground system, the same applies to our buses. It can often be quicker to travel by bus when compared with the tube on many routes with the added benefit of being able to enjoy views of the city form the top deck.
Old Jun 3rd, 2024, 07:50 AM

One thing . . . crellston lives in the UK and I assume has UK-issued cards. I can see how a UK card wouldn't have issues with UK usage. I live in the States and frequently visit the UK. Almost every trip there is some issue with either a credit or debit card. I travel with two or three credit cards and two debit cards and more than once one or more has been blocked at least temporarily.

This has happened with Amex, two different visa's, one mastercard affiliated debit card and my small independent local bank's debit card. Not every trip and not every card and and because of my back-ups its mostly worked out OK after some faffing about with phone calls.
Old Jun 3rd, 2024, 08:06 AM

Problems with US cards may/will happen regardless of for what they are used. It wont be specific to tap and go on London Underground. FWIW I have cards with US as well as UK banks and have no problems with either. I think it is fair to say that the US (especially the smaller banks) does seem to lag behind the rest of the world when it comes to card technology, contactless and procedures , when compared with much of the rest of the world. It does pay to check with your card provider to try and ascertain whether there are likely be any issues before setting off and if so, perhaps look at getting a new card and clearly, it makes sense to have alternatives available.

Old Jun 16th, 2024, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

FYI, we were in Rome last week and in London now. No issues whatsoever in using the same credit card account on four different iPhones on buses or trains/metros. Tap and go has worked like a charm and saved so much time not having to stress buying tickets, oyster cards, yada, yada.

Thank you all for your help!