Search

USING THE METRO FROM AEROPORT CDG 2 TGV TO Place d'Italie

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USING THE METRO FROM AEROPORT CDG 2 TGV TO Place d'Italie

HI GUYS
I am travelling from France to Paris via TGV the tram on the 24/12/2013. I will be jumping off at AEROPORT CDG 2 TGV.This is my first time travelling to Paris .Please could someone tell me how do I get from this train station to >Holiday Inn Express Paris Place d'Italie via the metro or is there any other suggestions. I do not want to take the taxi. Could someone give me in detail of how I get to the >Holiday Inn Express Paris Place d'Italie
.there are so many suggestions not sure which one is correct
veronica
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 11:56 AM

What is this supposed to mean “I am travelling from France to Paris via TGV the tram on the 24/12/2013”?

Be that as it may, from CDG to Place d’italie you take the RER B (suburban train) to Denfert-Rochereau and you switch to the Metro line 6 (direction Nation), four stops to Place d’Italie.

System map is at http://www.ratp.fr/informer/pdf/orienter/f_plan.php

Overall info and trip planner etc. (in English) at www.ratp.fr/en/ratp/c_21879/tourists/
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 12:12 PM

<< I am travelling from France to Paris via TGV the tram on the 24/12/2013. I will be jumping off at AEROPORT CDG 2 TGV >>

I'm guessing you mean that you're originating from some place in France and your destination is Paris. Since you're staying in Paris why are you taking the train to CDG airport? Why not terminate in Paris?
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 12:17 PM

Adrienne - I didn't read it that way but now I see that you could be right, OP might not actually be flying into CDG but intending to go there by TGV? In that case, surely there is a TGV that - instead of to CDG - goes to a train station in Paris itself? Every train station in Paris has a Metro connection, so - a look at the map on the website I listed and using the trip planner should provide the answer.
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 02:29 PM

The OP needs to clarify but there are trains from Lille, connecting from London or Brussels which stop at CDG on their way to Marne la Vallée and points south without ever getting much closer to central Paris than CDG.

The RER/métro, as explained in post #1, is a rather simple route costing only 9.50€. Finding the hotel when exiting the métro should also be relatively easy.

One thing to consider is at what time on Christmas Eve do you arrive CDG. I am not sure of the train schedules if you arrive late. As an ultimate backup, expect a taxi to cost around 50€, maybe less as Christmas Eve traffic will probably be minimal.
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 03:22 PM

This short tutorial on my blog might help you navigate the ticket machines and make you feel more confident about where you're going/what to expect when you arrive….

http://somuchmoretosee.blogspot.it/2...harles-de.html
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 05:19 PM

Nicely done, welltraveledbrit!
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 10:30 PM

That is an interesting tutorial welltraveledbrit. I might add, for those from the US, that the ticket kiosks only accepts chipped or EMV credit cards, not cards with magnetic strips.
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 11:43 PM

<i>I might add, for those from the US, that the ticket kiosks only accepts chipped or EMV credit cards, not cards with magnetic strips.</i>

Is that still true? Cards with magnetic strips are now accepted by the machines in the metro stations.
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 12:47 AM

No, the kiosks at CDG and the more modern kiosks in the Metro accept US non chip'n'pin cards just fine.
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 02:07 PM

<i>No, the kiosks at CDG and the more modern kiosks in the Metro accept US non chip'n'pin cards just fine.</i>

Take another look at picture #12 in welltraveledbrit´s presentation. The credit card is fully inserted into the reader which is a chip only reader. A magnetic strip card cannot be read from the green kiosk machines in Terminal 2.

The older style kiosks at Roissypol will accept magnetic strip cards.

The only métro kiosks, to my knowledge, that will accept magnetic strip cards are those at le Louvre. There might be others but the clear trend is to phase out old style magnetic strip readers.
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 01:19 AM

You do not swipe the card. You leave it fully inserted until the entire transaction is completed, then you remove it.

But if you have trouble, the ticket window is only a few feet away, not enough to make this worth arguing about here since they happily accept US credit cards. But only if you say, "Bon jour, Madame," first.
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 08:45 AM

FYI bonjour is one word, and men often work at those ticket windows, also, of course.

Ticket machines at the main stations take cash, anyway, there isn't any reason someone couldn't have euro coins/bills to pay for a ticket that small in price.