Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Using passport copies (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/using-passport-copies-436195/)

yclarke123 May 27th, 2004 09:15 AM

Using passport copies

I was planning to use a photo copy of my passport other than during actual travel days. I assume this is needed mainly for using credit cards. Is it ok to use a black and white copy or do I need to get a color copy made?

Underhill May 27th, 2004 09:17 AM

I've never been asked for my passport when using a credit card--only in the days when we used travelers checks.

ira May 27th, 2004 09:19 AM

Hi yc,

Copies are useful if you lose your passport.

I haven't yet had anyone ask for a passport except for cashing checks.

Christina May 27th, 2004 09:22 AM

well, I have, and they have always accepted a black and white photo. They want to see what you look like mainly,color isn't that important.

I've used my passport front-page copy (which I always carry in my wallet) for ID when using credit cards -- FNAC stores require some ID to use credit cards now. I've also used it to cash travellers checks, and I used it when picking up train tickets, etc. I've used it for ID quite a bit in Europe in those kind of cases.

m_kingdom2 May 27th, 2004 10:05 AM

All they require is the passport number when using credit cards - this really annoys me as I never carry a passport on me!

A copy will be fine, they don't require the orginal.

Barb May 27th, 2004 10:24 AM

I was asked for my passport or ID on the train in France and I had to dig it out of my money belt - very embarrassing - as I had to unzip my pants in front of the conductor, so this time I'm keeping a copy in my purse/bag.

Bob1 May 27th, 2004 10:26 AM

I reduced the picture page for me and my wife then laminated them back to back to make them easy to carry in a wallet. Handy to use when all they really need is your passport number as happened to me in India. The guy that took the info said, "nice idea". Beats carrying the real deal if you do not have to.

SharonNRayMc May 27th, 2004 10:54 AM

You'll need a photo id of some sort when making purchases --- El Corte Ingles, in Spain, for example; and train tickets from Renfe.

Also, some rental car companies will ask for a passport number.

I never tried to use a copy, but I did want to let you know some examples of when and where you may be asked for ID.

missypie May 27th, 2004 11:10 AM

Someone on this board told me that making a color copy of a US passport is illegal.

grandmere May 27th, 2004 11:18 AM

If you are applying for detaxe in a store, they will want to know your passport number but don't seem to care to see the actual passport. I, too, have never needed one when using a credit card.

Underhill May 27th, 2004 11:52 AM

Of course, it might help that my credit card has my photo on it.

mgmargate May 27th, 2004 12:15 PM

missypie:Someone is pulling your leg.As for needing a passport for credit card use, it has never happened to me in hundreds of transactions over 15 years in dozens of countries.

HowardR May 27th, 2004 12:55 PM

A black-and-white copy is fine.
Grandmere is correct about needing your passport number when filling out a VAT refund form at a store.

Gavin May 27th, 2004 03:29 PM

My wife was asked for her passport when using a credit card in El Cortes Ingles in Madrid so it can happen but it certainly is not common in my experience.

rex May 27th, 2004 03:56 PM

It seems like I have been asked to show my passport when exchanging US dollars (cash) for local currency <i>in a bank</i>.

Best wishes,

Rex

clevelandbrown May 28th, 2004 11:12 AM

In the US passport itself, they recommend making two copies of the ID page and leaving one with your emergency contact at home, and carrying one with you, in a place separate from your passport.

I make black and white copies. I usually have a few extra because in some countries hotels want passport information, so I just give them a copy rather than standing around waiting for them to copy from the original.

Singletail May 28th, 2004 11:42 AM

The person above who was asked to show their passport on a TRAIN was almost undoubtedly traveling on a PASS.

Jed May 29th, 2004 06:02 AM

clevelandbrown - &quot;I make black and white copies. I usually have a few extra because in some countries hotels want passport information, so I just give them a copy rather than standing around waiting for them to copy from the original.&quot;

I'm not so sure that this is a good idea, considering the prevalence of identity theft. Sure, they have your number, but then you give them your picture and other info. Just a thought.

I don't think you need color copies, but it is easy to make them using your scanner. Try printing it on plain, ordinary white paper. It looks good. ((c))