Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Using Munich as a base to see the Alps? Or Austria? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/using-munich-as-a-base-to-see-the-alps-or-austria-893567/)

khass Jun 4th, 2011 07:27 AM

Using Munich as a base to see the Alps? Or Austria?

I have 6 nights, starting in Munich to discover great beer, beautiful scenery and some architecture & castles. I chose to start off in Munich because flights there are cheaper and it's close to what I just talked about.

I was thinking of spending 4 nights in Munich, from which I will check out the beer halls, visit Neuschwanstein, take a tour of Hitler's "Eagle Nest" and discover the alps near Garmisch.

From there, I wanted to take a train from Munich to Innsbruck and hike for 2 days.

My question is, would it be better to stay one day longer in Munich (and one less in Innsbruck) so that I can explore the very southern part of Germany? Or will Innsbruck give me a rich and beautiful experience of the Alps?

By the way, it doesn't have to be Innsbruck. I just chose Innsbruck because it is on the way back down to Milan by train where I will be departing from.

Thanks!

pauljagman Jun 4th, 2011 08:08 AM

Although you have 6 nights your first day/night is sort of wasted just getting over jet lat. You might be better off just spending all your time in Munich. Travel time will eat up a lot of the rest of your time. I'd forget Innsbruck. Just do some day trips.

khass Jun 4th, 2011 08:26 AM

You have a good point. Allow me to add that I will be arriving from Amsterdam so by then my jet lag won't be a factor.

CarolJean Jun 4th, 2011 03:58 PM

I would go down to Prien (Stock - the harbor) and take a boat on the Chiemsee to visit the Herrinchiemsee castle. It is based on Versailles but larger. We took the train from Munich. It is between Munich and Salzburg. (But only if it is a warm, pretty day.) Enjoy! CJ

mike1728 Jun 4th, 2011 04:12 PM

Just came back from Munich, salzburg, Vienna, and Passau, To explore Hitlers Nest and Berchestgaten I would suggest staying in salzburg. mk

Just came back from Munich, salzburg, Vienna, and Passau, To explore Hitlers Nest and Berchestgaten I would suggest staying in salzburg. mk

mike1728 Jun 4th, 2011 04:14 PM

sorry about the multiple entrys the computer screwed up

Cowboy1968 Jun 4th, 2011 04:55 PM

Munich is quite okay as a base, as you plan to see Berchtesgaden and Neuschwanstein which are on opposite ends of Bavaria. Both are regular day trips - so there is no rocket science involved to get it done.

Garmisch+Innsbruck on different days is a bit odd, though.
Depending on time of year, you could skip the day trip to Garmisch, and instead combine it with your hiking plans.
Either stay in Garmisch or Mittenwald. Both locations offer many trails - and you can take the train to both, and later from both to Innsbruck and further to Milan.

Staying in Innsbruck to do some hiking is not so wise, IMO. It's a fairly big city, and you will waste some time each day to get where you want to hike.