Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   using ferries in western scotland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/using-ferries-in-western-scotland-1009865/)

kiwijac Mar 28th, 2014 05:35 PM

using ferries in western scotland

I will be travelling with a car from Edinburgh to Skye, Isles of Lewis and Harris in mid September. Can anyone suggest whether I'd have to book in advance or would it be ok to just turn up on the day?

janisj Mar 28th, 2014 05:45 PM

I'd definitely pre-book the ferry to the outer Hebrides since on the off chance it is booked up, you'd have to wait - depending on the day there are only 1 or 2 ferries each way.

Mallaig to Armadale -- not such a problem since there are 8 sailings each day.

Gordon_R Mar 28th, 2014 11:28 PM

Yes, as Janis says always advisable to book in advance. CalMac (the ferry operator) are normally very flexible if you need to change your plans nearer the time.

MissPrism Mar 29th, 2014 02:12 AM

I'm a great fan of CalMac http://www.calmac.co.uk
You can book online, but the telephone handlers are pleasant and helpful, and give good advice about things like Hopscotch tickets.

kiwijac Mar 29th, 2014 02:13 PM

Thanks for the help. It's great to ask a question here in New Zealand, go to bed and know a reply will be there for you in the morning. Wonderful service.
Now the next question. I have 6 nights to do my trip, leaving Troon on Sept 17 (when partner starts golfing holiday) and returning to Edinburgh night if Sept 22 ready to fly to Cornwall early next morning. My aim is to meander (with car) around wild scotland, soaking up scenery and atmosphere.
So, this is th every tentative plan, subject to your local input pls.
Leave Troon, drive to mallaig and onto Skye. Stay there 2 nights then ferry over to Harris and drive up to Stornaway where I'll stay 2 more night then over to Ullapool and back to Edinburgh for the 6th night.
What do you think? Cheers and thanks

Dickie_Gr Mar 29th, 2014 02:39 PM

The end of Sept should be OK for a turn up and sail but the prices rise closer to departure and it isn't worth taking the time risk of missing a sailing. We used Cally Mac three times last year, two sailings were full.

One point of note, I have had my cars scratched twice on their ferries. They just are just not wide enough to take modern cars. I have a particular attention to detail and respect for other people's property, many people on holiday and on an "exciting" ferry journey just don't care.

If you are driving a hire car I would suggest staying with it until you are the last to leave the car deck and be the first back to it on disembarking. It could save you a £300 insurance charge.

janisj Mar 29th, 2014 02:46 PM

Well - you have two VERY long drives there. Don't know where you are staying but Troon to Portree will take at least 6 hours (and 7 is likely) w/o any stops - and there are <B>LOTS</B> of places you'll want to stop even if just for photo ops. Count on an 8 hour drive minimum.

Stornoway to Edinburgh will take 8 to 9 hours w/o stops.

Dickie_Gr Mar 29th, 2014 02:51 PM

BTW

The route is a hell of a lot of driving for 6 days. Day 1 will be a very long day to get to South Skye. Day 2 drive across Skye, Day 3 Ferry to Harris (3 hours seem to remember), Day 4 drive to Stornoway, Dya 5 rest!, Day 6 Ferry t Ullapool and long drive to Edinburgh.

How about Ferry from Ayrshire to Arran, ferry to Kintyre drive to Oban ferry to Mull and then back to Edindburgh?

historytraveler Mar 29th, 2014 03:05 PM

As janisj has said a couple of really long drives. There are a number of great islands between Troon and Skye such as North/South Uist,Barra,Mull,Jura,Islay and the Isle of Arran. Have a look at the Calmac website and their Island Hopscotch. I think I'd stick to the Southern Hebrides.With so little travel time I certainly wouldn't go further north than Skye.

TravellingScotland Mar 29th, 2014 03:18 PM

I think you'll struggle to enjoy yourself with such a packed schedule. You'll see amazing parts of the country but will be fleeing past at great speed. I would suggest a stop around Glencoe or Lochs Lomond or Awe on the initial drive north from Troon. I would also suggest a stop on the road south to break up that journey, possibly Perthshire. I think you may have to sacrifice a night on Skye or the two in the Outer Hebrides to accommodate that.

For the Outer Hebrides, Harris is absolutely glorious. Lewis is not as spectacular and I would personally not stay in Stornoway instead staying in a more rural b&b. With only 6 days though I would really weigh up this part of the trip. Scotland is bigger than it looks and you may see a lot but will you enjoy yourself? Up to yourself of course, so much to see so little time :-)

janisj Mar 29th, 2014 03:29 PM

>>will be fleeing past at <i>great</i> speed<<

:D

Actually more like looooong hours at fairly slow speeds.

historytraveler Mar 29th, 2014 03:46 PM

Yeah, great speed is not really an appropriate term for driving in Scotland.:) but get the intended meaning. While Lewis may not be considered as scenic as Harris, it has several great places well worth a visit. The Black House at Arnol, the Doune Carloway Broch, the Calanais Standing Stones, the Norse Mill and I'd also include a visit to the folk museum at Shawbost.

I like Dickie's proposed itinerary.

Dickie_Gr Mar 29th, 2014 03:58 PM

"Actually more like looooong hours at fairly slow speeds "

Borrow the Maserati? I got a new toy!

janisj Mar 29th, 2014 04:05 PM

show off >)

Dickie_Gr Mar 29th, 2014 04:11 PM

Journey times now 85% less than ViaMichelin.

Fuel bills just lower than a Boeing 747.

historytraveler Mar 29th, 2014 04:17 PM

:)

kiwijac Mar 29th, 2014 08:15 PM

you guys!!! You said pretty much what I thought and what I say to people talking about their trips over here. Well, it was just Plan A and who knows, it could have been doable, God loves a tryer. However people do forget that cars have clear panels called windows and scenery can be seen while cruising by.
I was basing the route on a Rabbies Tour thinking that if a bus load could take the pace then I could too.
It turns out I don't have to return to Edinburgh but can go back to Glascow.
And I'll skip the Outer hebrides, as you say, just too far.
I've been checking the ferry timetables and unless they do a special sailing just for me, some of the times won't suit.
Thanks for your prompt replies and a laugh. Cheers