Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Using CPAP machine in France (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/using-cpap-machine-in-france-1481702/)

Underhill Oct 12th, 2017 09:50 AM

Using CPAP machine in France

Has anyone had experience with using a CPAP machine in France?

Help, St-Cirq! thanks.

elberko Oct 12th, 2017 09:54 AM

Yes, what's your concern?

dotheboyshall Oct 12th, 2017 10:32 AM

Does your machine work off 220V? If not then it's not going to work - ever again - if you plug it in

elberko Oct 12th, 2017 10:36 AM

I haven't had any issues with mine anywhere in Europe.

Your machine is likely dual-voltage and there should be a label on it saying so. All you need is a simple/cheap plug adapter.

I like to travel with an extension cord, and bought one in Europe to be sure it worked well, but others here have said a regular US extension cord is fine.

I don't use the humidifier with my CPAP, but I wouldn't worry about using tap water for a week or 2, others have said they do that with no problems.

greg Oct 12th, 2017 11:25 AM

Like many other postings of this type, the crucial info is missing: what is the input power spec written on the machine/power adapter regarding the input voltage and the HZ rating.

The newer machines are international models capable of operating around the world with just a correct plug adapter. The older models don't. The final word on which type the OP has is what is written on the machine/power pack.

janisj Oct 12th, 2017 12:47 PM

If it is dual voltage -- and only you know if it is or not -- it will be fine.

So you need to look at the machine and tell us what it says . . .

Bellarosa70032 Oct 12th, 2017 05:32 PM

Even if it's not dual voltage, you can still use a converter plus the plug adapter. My husband did this for 4-5 years before he got one with dual voltage.

fuzzbucket Oct 12th, 2017 09:28 PM

My brother travels with his C-PAP machine.
You don't need de-mineralized water, you can just use regular Parisian tap water, and use a little bit of white vinegar to clean it out every 3 days or so. He cleans the filter religiously, because Paris is a little dusty.

You will need to refer to the manual to see if it's dual voltage.
Otherwise, you will need a plug adapter.

StCirq Oct 12th, 2017 10:13 PM

What fuzzbucket says, Underhill. The white vinegar, easily obtainable in France, is crucial.

Cathinjoetown Oct 13th, 2017 03:41 AM

Be sure to take an extension cord in addition to plug adapter and convertor, the last of course only if needed.

Why extension cord? Outlets can be awkwardly placed, some hotels and most cruise ships hardwire bedside reading lamps and the only outlet can be across the room. We also carry good ole' duct tape.

NewbE Oct 13th, 2017 06:13 AM

<You will need to refer to the manual to see if it's dual voltage.
Otherwise, you will need a plug adapter.>

Well, I don't think this is right. You will need a plug adapter regardless. You will only need a converter if the thing is not dual voltage.

HappyTrvlr Oct 13th, 2017 06:43 AM

Used one worldwide even in third world countries.

Mimar Oct 13th, 2017 12:21 PM

I use distilled water in the US and would be inclined to get l'eau distillée in France. It's available at pharmacies. Demineralized water is not the same thing, and in at least one instance not recommended for medical use.

Not sure about the vinegar and tap water option. I do use this combination to clean my humidifier monthly.

fuzzbucket Oct 13th, 2017 09:33 PM

Regular Parisian tap water is fine.
You do not need de-mineralized water for a C-PAP machine if you are only here a few days - or even longer.

The de-mineralized water that is sold for irons is fine, too - sold in the supermarkets.

You don't need pharmeceutical-grade de-mineralized water unless you are preparing a hypodermic.

Get some white vinegar - about a tablespoon will do - swish it around and rinse until you can't smell the vinegar.
Works very well.

Underhill Oct 14th, 2017 08:13 AM

I've been doing some research and have found that since the last time I looked there are quite a few more portable machines. I suspect we'll invest in one and eliminate the heavy carry-on variety. Anyone have a recommendation for a light-weight portable?

fuzzbucket Oct 15th, 2017 07:10 AM

You can rent one in Paris for 17 EU per week from a medical supply store. Should be reimboursable by your US insurance.

They measure about 15 inches or so by 9 inches and are not too heavy:
https://pharmacie-remusat-paris-16.f...ris-16ème

TexasAggie Oct 15th, 2017 09:00 AM

My husband has used his in Amsterdam, Barcelona, and throughout Italy without a problem. Just brings the correct plug adapter (not a voltage converter).

janisj Oct 15th, 2017 10:17 AM

I don't use one but my cousin does. When we traveled together she lugged a regular/large one I just asked her what her new travel machine is (she LOVED it on the Alaska cruise she just took in August -- first trip since buying it)

It is this one https://www.sleepapnea.com/products/...id%7C&trackid=

fuzzbucket Oct 15th, 2017 08:56 PM

My brother uses the DreamStation, not the DreamStationGo - which may or may not be suitable for the user.

Underhill Oct 16th, 2017 07:19 AM

Thanks for the recommendation--I'll pass it along.