Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Using an iphone from usa in europe...roaming charges?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning to take an usa iphone on network on trip to europe. How does roaming charges work for data and voice? thanks.
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 07:00 PM

Voice: $1.29 per minute, unless you pay AT&T $5 a month for the privilege of paying them 99¢.

Data: by the bit, on a sliding scale. Unless what you're doing is of vital importance, it costs too much. People who have toured Europe using Google Mobile Maps (which downloads map data more or less continuously from Google's servers) have come home to $3,000 data bills.
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

How can I disable data while allowing phone? I'll get billed like crazy w/ the phone on cuz of data.

Roaming:
Calls Placed/Received
While in France
AT&T Standard International Roaming $1.29
AT&T World Traveler $0.99
AT&T Canada $1.29
AT&T Mexico $1.29
Data Usage: All GPRS pay per use rates are $.0195/KB, except in Canada rate is $.015/KB
Text, Picture and
Video Messages:
Send Text Message $0.50 per message sent
Send Picture and Video Messages $1.30 per message sent
Receive Text, Picture and Video Messages Home pay-per-use or package rates apply to all text, picture or video messages received when roaming internationally. Please visit www.att.com for details.
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 07:10 PM

Settings > Network | Data Roaming Off
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 07:27 PM

Keep in mind that if you get emails over a Microsoft exchange server (as opposed to internet, such as gmail), you will pay for data for the emails, too, unlike Blackberry service. Bottom line: there is no free international data roaming of any kind using AT&T.
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 07:48 PM

Obviously, if you turn off all data roaming, email won't be a problem. I kept my email on, thinking it would be "free" like with Blackberry, just didn't use the internet (including "always on" GPS systems). Big bill.
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 07:59 PM

If you turn off data roaming and use WiFi to connect to the internet you can pick up web based email without incurring data charges (as well as do other web based stuff).
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 08:17 PM

Won't you still pay int'l data roaming charges logging via WiFi, as opposed to the cell phone network?
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 08:28 PM

Turn off data roamimg and use wi-fi only for connecting to internet - no extra charges. I've done this in London, Italy, Morocco with my iphone with no extra charges.

You can sign up for their international data roaming plan for an extra charge - but don't do it. I did once, used it only for downloading email three times while I was gone, came back to a $75 bill in addition to the extra charges for intl data roaming.
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 09:08 PM

sf7307 - no, you will not be billed for WiFi usage. Your iphone can connect to the internet two ways - through the network provided by your phone service provider or via WiFi. When you turn off data roaming your connection to the internet via your phone service provider (AT&T) stops. You can still connect to the internet via WiFi from any accessible source.
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 09:51 AM

Thanks Seamus, obviously a reason to trade in my phone (which I otherwise really like - a Motorola Q) for one with WiFi.
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 10:38 AM

Stick a WiFi card in it, like the ones from http://www.spectec.com.tw/sdw825-moto.htm
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 11:28 AM

Aside from turning off data roaming, in settings, reset your data usage to zero so that you can be sure that you sure not using their network. If you are not needing to use the phone for calling/texting, putting it in airplane mode will turn off the phone -- meaning you won't pay when someone calls you regardless of whether you answer -- yet you will still be able to use wifi for internet, data, etc.

If you plan to use the phone as a phone for more than 20 minutes of talking, the $5/month charge for 99 cent calls pays for itself. you can cancel the service after a month.

This is probably obvious, but still: You will have to go into wifi settings and change networks when you connect in different places, it won't auto-detect a network and connect you to it.
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 11:57 AM

Robespierre, I will definitely try one of those - who knew??
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 12:16 PM

Of course, Wifi isn't free, especially at many hotels.

You may be able to find some unsecure Wifi hotspots.

As for other phones, I have a Nokia with Wifi built in and the interface is so horrible, I didn't bother after trying it a couple of times.

REally cumbersome to switch Wifi networks.

Can't imagine some tacked-on Wifi card would be any better.
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 12:37 PM

Author: Robespierre
Date: 12/14/2008, 02:38 pm
Stick a WiFi card in it, like the ones from http://www.spectec.com.tw/sdw825-moto.htm

Not sure what you mean by using a WiFi card.

iPhones are already equipped for wifi and you can't put a card in it.

Old Dec 14th, 2008, 01:12 PM

The referent was sf7307's Q.

"Tacked on?" What do you think is the difference between a device being manufactured in or plugged in?

I think if you take an iPhone to Europe, your best strategy would be to unplug the SIM before your flight lands, and make phone talk over Skype on a WiFi connection - or jailbreak your iPhone and buy a local SIM. The Apple user interface is so crappy, most users probably can't tell whether the meter's running or not.
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 03:07 PM

I do have an iPhone and I do take it with me when travelling and I do connect to internet with Wi-Fi on my iPhone. I have travelled in Morocco, Italy, France, the UK, Turkey and Iran the past year - Iran is the only place I wasn't able to connect for free with my iPhone.

There is no need for a WiFi card - in fact there is no way to plug one in to your iPhone. WiFi cards are for plugging into your laptop or other devices, but not iPhone.

First make sure data roaming is turned off. Go to Settings/General/Network/Data Roaming/Off. This is very important, so your iPhone doesn't automatically connect. Then go to Settings/Fetch New Data/Push/- turn Push to Off, then select Manually at the bottom of the same screen.

Then, when you want to connect to Wi-Fi, go to Settings/Wi-Fi/On. Your iPhone will automatically attempt to identify any Wi-Fi networks within range. The best way to do this is go to any coffeeshop, airport, hotel, etc. which offers free WiFi. They're all over.
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 03:46 PM

<i>There is no need for a WiFi card - in fact there is no way to plug one in to your iPhone. WiFi cards are for plugging into your laptop or other devices, but not iPhone.</i>

To repeat, the reference to a WiFi card was for me - I have AT&amp;T but I do not have an iPhone and the phone I do have (Morotola Q) is not WiFi-enabled.
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 04:19 PM

Tacked on as in the software on the phone wasn't designed for Wifi or just not designed well at all.

S60 just sucks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -