Using a US GPS in a French car???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am renting a car in France & I am bringing my GPS (equipped with European maps). It just occurred to me that the car A/C outlet may be a different shape. Will I be able to plug my GPS into my French rental?
Thanks for all the help everyone has already provided me for this trip - I'm leaving in less than a week.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 06:39 AM

Relax... a car cigarette lighter or 12 volt outlet is the same no matter if the car is American, Japanese or European. You'll be fine.

Take a few minutes before you leave and be sure to get the latest updates for your unit online.

Rob
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 06:43 AM

I agree with ParisAmsterdam having done exactly what you are planning on doing and with the same sort of equipment.

If you are renting a stick I would strongly advise you to learn exactly how to get it in and out of REVERSE before you drive off the lot. I suppose it sounds stupid but this "problem" occurred when we rented a Megane in Bordeaux...it was NOT "intuitive" in terms of that one gear..once we were shown how it was no problem.

Oh, and one more thing: don't panic if it takes a while for your unit to acquire the satellites; sometimes the invisible coating on some car windshields can hamper that process.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 06:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I totally agree with Dukey on finding REVERSE before leaving the lot!!! Boy, do I some stories on that! LOL!
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 06:48 AM

I'd also recommend checking and double checking what type of fuel the car takes - also many stories about using the wrong one. Note that in France, a gazole means diesel, which can be confusing...
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the reassurance and the tips. I too have had issues with rental cars. When driving in Ireland, of course I knew that they drive on the left, but it never clicked that I would have to also shift lefty. Big mistake! Next time I'll get an automatic.