Useful Web Sites for Ireland holidays

Jul 30th, 2000, 02:20 PM
Cathy

Useful Web Sites for Ireland holidays

Hi folks,
Just compiled this list of web sites which may be of some assistance to people planning trips to Ireland.
Hope it helps and maybe you can add your own,

Cathy

Ireland and its regions
www.ireland.travel.ie
Ireland West : www.westireland.travel.ie
East Coast/Midlands : www.midlandseastireland.travel.ie
Cork - Kerry : www.cork-kerry.travel.ie
Ireland South East : www.southeastireland.travel.ie
Ireland North West : www.northwestireland.travel.ie
Dublin : www.visitdublin.com
The Shannon Region : www.shannonireland.travel.ie

General Information on getting around and accessing main sites
www.ireland.com
www.heritageireland.com - great information on heritage cards which allow access to most sites
www.cie.ie - public transport company, site has bus and rail schedules and Dublin Buis schedules, also has specialized section on tours to main attractions
www.ryanair.ie - no frills cheap airline
www.tourismresources.ie

Accommodation
www.ireland.travel.ie
www.townandcountry.ie
www.irishfarmholidays.com
www.hidden-ireland.com,
www.jurys.com
www.templehouse.ie

Other sites on different regions
WWW.connemarra-tourism.org/
www.connemara-tourism.org/index.html
www.connemara.net/
www.dingle-peninsula.ie/

Passage Graves/Ancient Tombs
www.loughcrew.com,
www.meathtourism.com

Jul 30th, 2000, 03:40 PM
kam

Thanks Cathy, would only add one that I've found---www.ireland-withpatpreston.com. Good advice from a travel writer who is very "no hard sell." She is the author of Daytrips-Ireland in the great series of daytrip books.

Aug 3rd, 2000, 02:29 PM
Cathy

Forgot to add www.ni-tourism.com for Northern Ireland
Aer Lingus is at www.aerlingus.ie.
On visas etc and official government stuff try www.irlgov.ie

The tel no. for the the Irish Tourist Board is (800) 223-6470 in the US

Kam,
I have checked out Pat Preston's web site and I was disappointed with some of her recommendations otherwise everything that is on her site is on the other sites too.

Hope these help people plan their trips,

Cathy

Aug 3rd, 2000, 04:55 PM
kam

Cathy, I've followed your advice and asked questions on Pat's forum in planning our third trip to Ireland. Everything I've asked has been agreed to between the two of you and my own knowledge of Ireland (though it's been too many years since I was there). The thing I find most helpful is when you ask her individual questions--agree that the "guides" to Ireland are pretty generic. She also always cautions people to slow down and not try to drive so many miles. BTW, thanks for your advice. We leave in less than a month and are getting really excited! And, you would approve of what we finally decided, I think. A very leisurely, slow trip in the west and south: 1 night Adare, 3 nights Dingle, 2 nights Kilarney, 2 nights Ballymaloe (Shanagarry), 2 nights Galway City and 3 nights Clifden, 1 night Ennis and home. I intend to unwind and fill myself with seafood, brown bread and Smithwick's! I have a friend named Kathy (Kathleen) Lynch, but she lives in Chicago! Thanks for all your help.

Aug 4th, 2000, 10:37 AM
Cathy

Kam,
Glad to see you have your trip all planned and I do whole heartly approve of your schedule and envy you two nights in Ballymaloe. My only disappointment with Pat's site was that she was recommending some typical tourist shops. Most of the guidebooks written about Ireland seem to focus on the same places and same shops and forget about anything outside the West, South-West, South and Dublin which is a pity. But I agree with you - the answering of the individual questions on Pat's site is a bonus which very few sites - except for this one permitts. Have a good holiday and enjoy the food and the drink,

Cathy

Mar 31st, 2001, 04:37 PM
George

Hello Y'all, I'm always of the opinion that the more opinions you can get from the experts the better. I appreciate the listings here and the work that went into them. Thank you!! I too love Ireland and everything associated with it (especially Guinness!)...May I add a reccomodation for another human expert on Ireland who has different opinions than Patricia Preston? I am referring to Michelle Erdvig who also answers questions and you can find her site and forum at http://www.irelandyes.com/index.html Though both of these women obviously love Ireland they have different styles and opinions. (Patricia concentrates more on hotels and Michelle on B&Bs). Would be interesting to post the same question to both of them and see what the answers are and how soon you get a reply!! Anyone up for some fun? George...wish my last name was Guinness...

Mar 31st, 2001, 10:01 PM
TRex

Hey George, I'm ready for some fun. Let's go!!

Apr 2nd, 2001, 01:36 PM
John

So George what happened????

Apr 2nd, 2001, 10:29 PM
George

Hey John, I posted the exact same question on both forums. There was no right or wrong answer to it just wanted to get their opinions. This was my question: "I've been to Ireland a couple of times and almost every book I've read says to do the Ring of Kerry counter-clockwise. the Kilarney tourist office advised me to do it that way too. I've tried it both ways! What is your opinion about it? Thanks...George"

Pat Preston answered: "Dear George,

In my "Daytrips Ireland" book (p. 194), I recommend the counter-clockwise direction, too, like other guidebooks. The reason for this is because the tour buses do it this way, and if you do it clock-wise, you'll be encountering all the buses coming at you along the hair-pin turns and cliff top curves.

I have done it both ways, too, and it seems to work better (since many delivery vans and trucks do it clock-wise and they tend to go a lot faster than tourists, so by doing it counter-clockwise, you avoid having impatient commercial drivers behind you and trying to pass you).

Those are the prime reasons. What's your opinion? Best, PAT"

Michelle Erdvig answered: "Hi George,

Thanks for your inquiry. I took Sunday off and Fly-High beat me to the answer! You're right that most people recommend doing the Ring of Kerry counterclockwise. In fact I think about 99.99% do. But my opinion is not influenced by the Tourist Board or other prevailing opinions.

After doing the Ring countless times myself I recommend doing it clockwise. You see, all the buses go counterclockwise and if you do it that way you will be stuck behind the buses breathing in all the carbon monoxide exhaust fumes, unless you care to pass them. Then there's always another bus to pass after that! Most people say it's better to go with the traffic flow but it's a two lane road and the traffic flows both ways--so no problem. If you find facing the buses intimidating on narrow roads, then find a good spot and pull as far to the left as you can and either slow down or stop when a bus approaches. Make them go around you (and they will). Most of the bus drivers are excellent drivers and it's amazing how well they can maneuver such large vehicles on small roads.

As to whether the scenery is better when going in one direction over the other, I really don't think it matters. It's the same scenery, just a different point of view. The reason the buses do the Ring counterclockwise is because it is easier for them to travel on the inside of the road and also causes less wear and tear to the road surfaces than if they were traveling on the very edge of the outside of the road where there are drop-offs and some cliffs.

Whatever way you do the Ring of Kerry, it's a beautiful drive and I'm sure you enjoyed it both times. Did you prefer one way over the other?

Happy travels,

Michele

P.S. If you don't feel like driving yourself you can always catch a bus tour and go counterclockwise!"

Since my postings there have been some interesting comments added on Michelle's forum. BTW, I did enjoy doing the Ring of Kerry both ways but sometimes those busses can be slooooow. George

Apr 9th, 2001, 02:44 AM
Michelle

Hi

Great Idea. I found the irish Tourist Board website http://www.ireland.travel.ie
very useful. It had everything to assist you in planning your trip, the best ways of getting around ire, approved accommodation, things to do and see, route planner, personal brochure and lots more

Sep 26th, 2001, 12:03 PM
Cathy

Hi folks,

I just thought that I would bring this back up and to revise my opnion of Pat's site. In the past year as I logged on to Pat's site www.irelandexpert.com - I found it excellent - great for the questions and answers etc, I think I was a bit too critical first time around.

Anyway to add to the above list

www.ireland.travel.ie
Ireland West : www.westireland.travel.ie
www.connemarra-tourism.org/
www.connemara-tourism.org/index.html
www.connemara.net/
East Coast/Midlands : www.midlandseastireland.travel.ie
Cork - Kerry : www.cork-kerry.travel.ie
www.dingle-peninsula.ie/
Ireland South East : www.southeastireland.travel.ie
Ireland North West : www.northwestireland.travel.ie
Dublin : www.visitdublin.com
The Shannon Region : www.shannonireland.travel.ie

General Information on getting around and accessing main sites
www.ireland.com
www.heritageireland.com - Great information on heritage cards which allow access to most sites.
www.cie.ie CIE is the umbrella company for public transport and has links to the bus and rail schedules and Dublin Bus schedules. CIE tours also has specialized section on tours to main attractions

Passage Graves/Ancient Tombs
www.loughcrew.com,
www.meathtourism.ie
Driving in Ireland
www.roadwatch.ie
Walking Tours
http://www.irishwaymarkedways.ie
Conferences
http://www.conference-ireland.ie or http://www.incentive-ireland.ie
English Tours
http://www.languagelearning.travel.ie
Golf
http://www.golf.travel.ie
Fishing
http://www.cfb.ie

Hope this helps

Cathy
www.aircoach.ie This is a non-stop bus link to and from the airport to the major hotels.
www.ryanair.ie No frills cheap airline has fares as low as 9 Irish pounds to airports in the UK & Europe.
www.tourismresources.ie

Accommodation & Restaurants
www.ireland.travel.ie
www.townandcountry.ie
www.irishfarmholidays.com
www.hidden-ireland.com,
www.jurys.com
www.templehouse.ie (Sligo NorthWest)
www.beourguest.ie
www.family-homes.ie
www.dublinn.com (Kilronan House)
www.castlesireland.com/
www.gsh.ie
www.irelands-blue-book.ie/
www.ballymaloe.com (In Cork the southern region it has an excellent restaurant)
www.irishcountryhousesandcastles.com

Sep 27th, 2001, 04:04 PM
Topper

Up to the top for Larry