Use of the Europe/US forums

Aug 11th, 2003, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Use of the Europe/US forums

For those who like statistics, I checked the number of posts on the Europe and US forums for the past three weeks, 7/21/03-8/11/03. Europe had 2,189 active threads, US 1,983.
Aug 11th, 2003, 10:10 AM
Degas

Are you an accountant?

Could you do this each month and compile quarterly reports with bar charts to show emerging trends?

Aug 11th, 2003, 10:16 AM

I would be interested in seeing posts broken down by country/region. How many for Italy, France, Germany, etc. That would be some useful data. Would that be asking too much?

Anybody else think of categories that would be helpful? It might help in planning for the next trip.
Aug 11th, 2003, 10:17 AM
RNC

Must a Democrat working in silver spring Maryland. Gotta love those government jobs.
Aug 11th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Degas

RNC, it's not friday so no fight picking today! Besides, he did it on a four hour lunch hour and two hour long coffee breaks. Union SOP.

Aug 11th, 2003, 10:46 AM

Funny, I thought the poster was a top corporate executive taking a break from the plannng of how he'll spend all his ill-gotten gains.
Aug 11th, 2003, 10:50 AM

>>>plannng of how he'll spend all his ill-gotten gains.

Probably by hiring people and giving them opportunities. Darn that capitalism.
Aug 11th, 2003, 11:00 AM

Joe, thanks for the very interesting information, but it's hard to escape the inevitable conclusion, i.e., you have too much time on your hands.
Aug 11th, 2003, 11:26 AM

How do you know that Joe is not terminally ill and is trying to keep his spirits up during his last days??
You folks always assume the worst -- that he is his wasting time. Try looking at it from some other point of view.

Aug 11th, 2003, 11:32 AM

flsd:

Yeah, those Enron employeessure got a hell of an opportunity, didn't they?

Capitalism's great, greed . . . not so much. If people would just learn the difference between the two, we'd all be better off.

Joe: You're not the guy in the office next to me are you? Sounds like something someone around here would do.

Jennie
Aug 11th, 2003, 11:40 AM

Ahhh..Bob,others have said he has too much time on his hands. You say terminally ill. Who is assuming the worst?
Aug 11th, 2003, 12:05 PM
dln

Ye gads it doesn't take much to get you guys all riled up. What I think is more interesting than usage is flavor--you know, how different the two boards are, even though some people post on both. Once there was an identical question posted on both boards (I think it was about using airplane barf bags). It sank pretty fast in Europe, but garnered a huge response in the US board. Maybe travellers to Europe don't barf as much? Go figure!

Aug 11th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Intrepid

From the looks of all this I'd say Joe in Silver Spring isn't the ONLY person with a lot of time on his hands!

Aug 11th, 2003, 12:29 PM

Touche, Intrepid. (and ouch.)
Aug 11th, 2003, 12:46 PM
dln

ditto on Marilyn and double ouch!

Aug 11th, 2003, 12:52 PM

I think Marilyn & Double Ouch would be a good name for a band.
Aug 11th, 2003, 12:56 PM
dln

Aug 11th, 2003, 01:13 PM
rex

Oh geez - - this barb has been thrown before - - about having too much time on one's hands, in response to taking an interest in trends on this forum.

If I recall correctly, I have previously posted posts by month, 12 and 24 months back in the past.

The number of threads ending in Feb, Mar, Apr, Jun and July were down, compared to the six months before that and to the same period a year ago - - the last time I took a look at such a thing (it was quite recently I looked, with the first six month "anniversary" of registration having recently passed).

Just curious, Joe - - why a three week interval for doing your checking?

Best wishes,

Rex
Aug 11th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Hi Rex, I picked three weeks because I ran out of time. The Europe forum seems busier to me, and I've seen a few posts saying that the poster was putting an unrelated question here because they haven't gotten a response on another forum (in fact I did it myself recently with a post about Cuba). This seemed like an easy way to compare what I'm pretty sure are the two busiest forums. However, the way I did it (scrolling to the bottom of the screen and hitting the "next 50"--is there another way?), covering three weeks took up most of the lunch hour. But at least I learned that over recent weeks, at least, Europe was substantially busier.
Aug 11th, 2003, 07:20 PM

JOE and REX
With all this free time on your hands how about satistics on how many times certain questions have been asked ie;
What shall I wear?
What hotel should I stay in?
Shall I bring travelers checks?
What's the temp? etc.etc. ad nauseum

Search this Thread