Reload this Page >

Use of Automatic Teller Machines in London, Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 1997, 08:07 AM
Jane Martin

I had heard that charging on Visa and MC and using ATMs got better exchange rates than travelor's checks or exchanging pounds and francs in the US before the trip. Is that still true? What kind of charges do London and Paris banks have for use of ATMs. What are others' experiences? Thank you. We leave July 31.

Old Jul 13th, 1997, 12:02 PM
Joyce

Absolutely true because you get the commercial rate of exchange whereas the change offices in foreign countries are making a living at it. Charges are exceedingly high in London, but there are ATMs on practically every corner. The last time we went, about two years ago, we took $200 in cash and no travellers checks and made out just fine, including 10 days in Ireland. It's been maybe three years since we've been in Paris, but there are plenty of ATMs there also. In both cities, a couple of visits to each one, I have always been charged only $1.00 per transaction and nothing by my home bank. We always charge everything possible to VISA and get all of our cash through the ATMs. Happy Voyage!

Old Jul 13th, 1997, 02:47 PM
Julio

Hello, YES you get a better rate on charging in Europe than exchanging money.

As to the ATM machines in London,last May I used one and was just like home, NYC,but they charged me a $3.00 fee. Also take the number code for your PIN .The mackine I used only had NUMBERS NOT LETTERS! Can't recall the bank. I am not sure about ATM in beautiful Paris. I hope this helps. LOVE LONDON!!!!!

Old Jul 15th, 1997, 09:28 AM
Allan Badner

I don't carry travellor's checks or cash anymore as I have used ATM's throughout the world from Turkey to Mexico. You get the best exchange rate as it clears the International Currency Exchange in NY. As long as your card is affiliated with A-Plus or Interac NO PROBLEM. I recommend using your bank withdrawal card and not Visa as usually Visa charges heavy interest from day of withdrawal.

Old Jul 16th, 1997, 09:57 AM
Joe

In Paris, we even found an ATM that offered a choice of French or English -- it was on the ground floor of the Carousel de Louvre -- the shopping center next to the museum.