Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

USDA urges American tourists to take the following preventive measures while in the United Kingdom

Search

USDA urges American tourists to take the following preventive measures while in the United Kingdom

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 02:31 PM
xxxxx

Foot-and-Mouth is not getting any better. Read this: <BR> <BR>'USDA urges American tourists to take the following preventive measures while in the United Kingdom: <BR> <BR>• Avoid farms, sale barns, stockyards, animal laboratories, packing houses, zoos, fairs or other animal facilities for five days prior to travel. <BR> <BR>• Before leaving, launder or dry clean all clothing and outerwear. <BR> <BR>• Remove dirt and soil from shoes by thorough cleaning, then wiping with a cloth dampened with a bleach solution (5 tablespoons of household bleach in a gallon of water). <BR> <BR>• Disinfect soiled luggage, wristwatches, cameras, laptops, CD players and cell phones with a cloth dampened with a bleach solution. <BR> <BR>• Avoid contact with livestock or wildlife for five days after arrival in the U.S. <BR> <BR>A British visitor to a U.S. farm should launder or dry clean their travel clothing immediately, and avoid contact with all livestock or wildlife for at least five days, the USDA said. The USDA is also urging employers hiring prospective employees from the UK to provide arriving travelers with a clean set of clothing that can be worn after the visitor showers and shampoos thoroughly.'

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 08:42 AM
XXX

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 09:46 PM
Joyce

topping

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 08:20 AM
topper

topping

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 09:26 AM
upwego

Good advice. To the top!

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 11:37 AM
xxx

This is absolutely ridiculous overkill unless you either intend to spend some time on a British farm or in a stockyard - not very likely right now - no unaffected farmer would let anyone on his farm anyway. OR you intend to travel to a U.S. farm immediately on you return - in which case use your common sense. Personally if I was headed immediately to a farm I would change clothes and shoes first. Disinfecting shoes is the only bit of advice that did not seem like a ridiculous over reaction. And the original poster neglected to mention the most important precaution of all - no returning travelers from ANY country should bring back meat or dairy products.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 11:43 AM
marty

I just returned home to a largely agriculture state yesterday from London. The airport in the U.S. was very casual about the whole thing. They asked in that faster than you can answer tone whether we visited the countryside and whether or not we were carrying any meat products. My paper at home said that airports had begun yesterday disinfecting people's shoes which was absolutely untrue!