Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   USB at Internet cafes? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/usb-at-internet-cafes-186144/)

Alex Mar 31st, 2002 09:24 AM

USB at Internet cafes?

I have a digital camera and I'd like to be able to pull pictures off my memory cards and upload them to my web server. I can connect the camera (or a card reader) via USB ports. Do any Internet cafes have USB ports at their terminals? (easyeverything's web site, for the record, didn't provide such details.) TIA

Marc David Miller Mar 31st, 2002 09:35 AM

Most any with newer computers (post 1999) will, but the bigger question is<BR><BR>=will the operator let you hook another device up to their computer and<BR><BR>=how easy is the installation--what drivers are needed, is a reboot needed, etc. There are card readers that work with Windows ME/XP that don't require driver installation, but that still doesn't mean that the operator of the cafe will allow you to put another device onto their computers (think of the operator's position--if something goes wrong he's got to fix the problem which can take much time).

Alex Mar 31st, 2002 09:50 AM

points taken. i expect newer models to have them, it's the access to them I was wondering about. I wasn't sure if these cafes all had CPUs at each station whether it's a network of dumb terminals (just a screen and a keyboard). I'll buy a few more memory cards just in case.

Rex Mar 31st, 2002 09:57 AM

I've been at 10 or more cybercafes in europe - - and virtually all were computers, not "dumb terminals". Heck, I don't think anybody makes an affordable workstation without its own CPU/bus/drives/etc anymore!<BR><BR>But that doesn't mean that they're going to let you access the USB port. It's a question that interestes me too - - since I have an MP3 "jukebox" (basically a big hard drive) with MP3 connectivity.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Marc David Miller Mar 31st, 2002 10:27 AM

Also look at the Mindstor Digital Wallet as described elsewhere--at least in January for under $400 you had a device that stored 20gigabytes of data (I think the 5gb model cost under $200). Take two or three memory cards and this device if you expect to take a large quantity of photos.<BR><BR>Also, www.buy.com often has the best prices on memory cards (256mb cf cards for $100).

Alex Apr 1st, 2002 12:06 PM

Thanks for the tip Marc! I figured some sort of external memory device like the digital wallet was technically possible, just had no idea anyone had actually put one on themarket.

Gretchen Apr 1st, 2002 01:00 PM

I have a PhotoShow device--an external zip drive, doesn't require a PC, can edit, make albums, crop, correct red eye, show over the TV. It cost under $200 last fall. It is about the size of a VHS tape plus the power cord. Memory cards are coming down in price--saw 128MB SmartMedia at Costco for $50+. Walmart is a good source also.

Rex Apr 1st, 2002 01:01 PM

I think that the MP3 jukebox and the Digital Wallet concept are essentially one in the same.<BR><BR>The jukebox has MP3 firmware for playback (but not "rip"), but otherwise it communicates through the USB to the host and looks just like a "slave D: drive" to the Windows operating system, to which it's connected.<BR>

t Apr 1st, 2002 10:08 PM

and how does the mp3 device get the data from the camera?

I sure miss napster Apr 3rd, 2002 01:19 AM

USB port on the mp3 contraption, no doubt.<BR>

Rex Apr 3rd, 2002 04:16 AM

My MP3 jukebox does indeed have a USB port (proprietary, perhaps, in shape?) and cable that plugs into a standard USB port of a computer. I suppose cameras have the same thing (or are most of then firewire?) but it might be a male-to-male connector problem. Are there female-female USB cable connector adpters?<BR>

Marc David Miller Apr 3rd, 2002 06:27 AM

Rex, where does the controlling software run? On a standard jukebox, you would run it on the computer, but on the connection with a camera through the USB port how does the jukebox know what to pull from the camera's memory card?<BR><BR>I thought that was the distinction between a Digital Wallet-type device and a jukebox.

Rex Apr 3rd, 2002 09:07 AM

You're probably right, Marc. It would be dumb device to dumb device. "Gender" not relevant, in that case. I failed to think of that. Oh well, I always carry a laptop. For the actual ability to use a computer for writing etc.<BR><BR>Maybe switch to a Jornada someday.<BR>

ttt Apr 3rd, 2002 04:51 PM

to the top<BR>

Go read your Apr 4th, 2002 02:24 PM

Who cares about this gadgetology stuff?<BR>