Reload this Page >

USA made Video-will it work in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Louise

We have a video of our daughter's wedding and friends in Switzerland want us to bring it so they can watch it. I'm afraid that a video made here in the USA won't work on their video recorder...?? Anyone know the answer to this one?<BR>Thanks, Louise

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Marc David Miller

It won't but you could get it converted--some photo/video stores (especially in ethnic neigborhoods) have the equipment to do this, it is not very expensive.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Richard

I'm not a techie but I know the videos of my daughter's wedding in Ireland had to be reconfigured for US VCR's.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Sally Broff

The video systems are different in the US and Europe. US is called NTSC and I forget what the European system acronym is. In any case, it is pretty easy to get the videotape converted- try a video store or camera store.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 03:10 PM
BTilke

Friends and family back in the States routinely send us videos they've recorded for us--and they work fine. But the catch is the videos must be recorded on Standard Play, not long play or extended play. We've never had any problems with Standard Play videos and all the movies that we bought on videocassette in the States also work fine. So it's not a strict yes or no, they will or won't answer. It depends on the quality of the recording and also on the machine your friends have in Switzerland.<BR>BTilke (Brussels)<BR>

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 03:29 PM
John

Ask them if their VCR will play NTSC videos. The European format is called PAL and is generally incompatible with N. American video recordings. To play it safe, why not have your tape copied to PAL and bring both?

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Alec

Most PAL (also SECAM in France) video recorders in Europe made in the last few years can playback US NTSC tapes. Just look out for 'NTSC Playback' logo on the front of machine. If you have another PAL video recorder, you can link the two with a Scart lead and make a copy in PAL format, which your friend can keep, saving the expense and bother of converting professionally (though quality may be better). You can't do this with commercially made videos (movies etc), as they are macrovisioned (which prevents copying).

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Louise

Thanks SO much for all the useful information, I'll get right on it.<BR>Louise

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 05:07 PM
me

Just wanted to add that our VCR (bought 2 years ago) is dual NTSC/PAL format - this means we can play videos made from either system. If your friends have a newr VCR they may have this system as well, so check with them before you have the tape converted.