Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   USA- How to dress and not stand out (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/usa-how-to-dress-and-not-stand-out-112618/)

Nano Mar 15th, 2001 04:31 PM

USA- How to dress and not stand out

I read, with great interest, the thread about dressing appropriately for a visit to France. It made me wonder if any of the French visitors to our country sit around worrying about how to dress for their visits to the U.S. What would you tell them? How should they dress to fit in here?

Flip Mar 15th, 2001 04:32 PM

Flip Flips, shorts that show the cheeks of their ass and a tanktop. They will fit right in!

Danna Mar 15th, 2001 05:48 PM

Nano, <BR> <BR>Tee Shirts with really stupid phrases on them.

Capo Mar 15th, 2001 07:21 PM

Some possibilities to help the French blend in with us Americans: :~) <BR> <BR>Hideously-ugly polyester golf shirts <BR>Polyester stretch pants with no belt loops <BR>Birkenstocks with wool socks <BR>

kalena Mar 15th, 2001 08:16 PM

I think this one varies by the town/area and by age. In Hawaii, there's work wear, going-out-to-dinner wear, and weekend wear (shorts and sandals/sports shoes, and slippers for the beach). But polyester is definitely not happening, unless you are 23, retro, and clubbing. <BR> <BR>When I ran into Provençal tourists here at Ala Moana last year, he had on long black slacks, covered shoes (that's what we call them), and a tucked-in white shirt. She wore a scarf. ;) I could tell they were European at a glance, so I approached them. They said were enjoying themselves. Regardless, they were definitely the best-dressed people within view. <BR> <BR>In all these clothes threads, no one's mentioned hairstyles, yet...It's not just the clothes that are an indicator. Here in Hawaii, it's the young Japanese tourists that have the most radical hair styles. The clothes we wear are all about the same.

xxx Mar 15th, 2001 09:00 PM

For Europeans in general: <BR> <BR>1. No sandals for men. <BR>2. No sandals with socks. <BR>3. No white/light colored socks with slacks.

Candice Mar 16th, 2001 03:00 AM

1. Light blue jeans <BR>2. White trainers (or sneakers) <BR>3. Baseball cap <BR>4. Anorak <BR>That's what they ALL wear here in London!

hooty Mar 16th, 2001 03:34 AM

I'd tell them not to try to blend in because it rarely works. I saw a European boarding an international flight in DFW who failed miserably. He was trying to dress like a Texan but his attire was off enough to look silly. He had on Wrangler jeans (ok) that were too short (not ok), a white belt (definitely not ok), a button down shirt that was too small (not ok) and white socks with black loafers (wrong again) and he was carrying a cowboy hat.

Spanky Mar 16th, 2001 04:32 AM

They should all consider getting tattoos, nose studs and lots of earrings in their ears if they are under 30. Oh, and don't forget the pants should be worn way down around the hip and drag on the ground. Actually the hem will need to be raggy-looking or they will be spotted as frauds.

Yank Mar 16th, 2001 05:18 AM

1. No brown tie-shoes for men outside of very specific work-place situations (well-shined cordovans with expensive suits). <BR> <BR>2. _Everything_ worn more loosely: shoes, shirts, dresses, pants. Sure sign of a Euro -- everything form-fitting. Here, try to pretend you are a little overweight and hiding it, or that you are not vain about your physique, or that sexuality should be subtle. Exception: if you are a female under 25, in perfect condition, and you are wearing very sporty spandex tops. But for everyone else, loosen up! <BR> <BR>3. Wear colors, prints, patterns. <BR> <BR>4. No jewelry or scarves for men at all, and little for women except the occasional necklace and bracelet. Rings for women can go on all fingers, though. No rings for men except wedding ring (unless you happen to have a big, clunky insignia ring from a US college). <BR> <BR>5. Manicures for Caucasian women should be quite short, can be any color on a younger woman but stick to pinks or reds for older women (or no color at all). Non-caucasians may choose to have very long nails, highly decorated, although this is not obligatory. ABSOLUTELY NO manicures for men. <BR> <BR>6. Watch lengths of men's pants -- they should "break" over the shoe tops (see wearing things looser, above.)

carol Mar 16th, 2001 05:28 AM

I can always tell the Europeans when they visit my hometown, the Big Apple. They look just as ridiculous as American tourists in Paris do, with their multicolored sneakers/running shoes, shorts in the summertime and NYC souvenir teeshirts or sweatshirts. The Japanese tourists all wear NYC baseball caps. I'm sure there are many foreign tourists who don't stand out--they dress appropriately for visiting a world-class city and just blend in!!!!

BornInAmerica Mar 16th, 2001 05:37 AM

1. Never wear a hat or T shirt with the name of the city you are visiting, or even an attraction you recently visited in that city. Simply not done. Wearing something with the name of something French, however, would mark you as a very sophisticated American. <BR> <BR>2. Wherever you go and whatever you do, regardless of the time of day, eat. Eat while walking down the street. Eat in places that have bold signs that say "No eating." If you spill a bit on your clothes, don't change into something clean. Just keep right on eating. No need to restrict yourself to finger foods, either. I saw someone walking along eating a giant turkey leg once. Also, bring lots of food with you in case you happen to be someplace where there is no food readily available.

Dr. Cranky Mar 16th, 2001 06:51 AM

Just bathe on a regular basis and everyone will assume your American.

more Mar 16th, 2001 07:13 AM

Dr. Cranky, <BR>Please advice females to shave underarms to truly pass for an American. <BR>Also, men and women wearing deoderant is another good way to smell like an American.

xxx Mar 16th, 2001 10:50 AM

WAIT!!!!!! <BR>we've forgotten one thing here.. <BR>the well dressed american man will be wearing jeans that fit his hips and not his waist.. that way you get the belly hanging over and a bit of butt crack showing..white T-shirt with stains and a ratty plaid flannel shirt and muddy work boots!!!...Classic!

Capo Mar 16th, 2001 11:10 AM

Ooops! I forgot to mention matching jogging suits: guananteed to turn any French couple into...Voila!...Americans. :~)

I'm rich so Mar 16th, 2001 05:17 PM

Just make sure you stay at the most expensive hotels and in the best neighborhoods in any major U.S. city and you don't need to do a thing. As far as bathing and using deodorant you needn't worry all that much lately, especially on the weekends. <BR> <BR>Seriously though, at times it has been very difficult for me to tell the difference between U.S. tourists and French or German tourists until they start to speak. Remember the ugly American? The French and the Germans are pretty damn good at it too!!

xxx Mar 16th, 2001 09:40 PM

For Women, wear stirrup pants, a really nice short trailer court perm and flaming blue eyeshadow. Yes, it's a complete parody but everytime I travel to the States I see these woman! Also, don't forget to talk really loud and chain smoke!