Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   US warns on travel to Germany after Al-Qaeda threat (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/us-warns-on-travel-to-germany-after-al-qaeda-threat-807566/)

bratsandbeer Sep 24th, 2009 09:52 AM

US warns on travel to Germany after Al-Qaeda threat

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...QjP08Zo-TZlzug

WASHINGTON — The United States on Wednesday warned its citizens to be alert when traveling to Germany, after Al-Qaeda threatened attacks timed to coincide with upcoming elections.

"Al-Qaeda recently released a video specifically warning Germany of attacks," a State Department advisory said, "German authorities are taking the threat seriously and have taken measures to enhance the level of security throughout the country."

iris1745 Sep 24th, 2009 10:09 AM

Hi; Thanks for posting. logos999 has also posted with the state department warning. Richard

yk Sep 24th, 2009 10:40 AM

Great! We'll be there just in time for all this excitement!

Dayenu Sep 24th, 2009 10:47 AM

YK, take along a spare memory card for your camera :)

altamiro Sep 24th, 2009 12:50 PM

I'm afraid (actually glad) I don't believe there will be a lot of excitement. Just a couple of arrests in some apartment building in a dingy suburb, if at all.
Al Qaeda has no teeth any more - any attacks between 11.9.2001 and now have been a work of home-grown amateurs whose only connection to Al Qaeda was watching their propaganda videos (if at all).

haxter1 Sep 24th, 2009 12:57 PM

Al Qaeda has no teeth any more.

Could that be Bush's Fault????

DAX Sep 24th, 2009 01:07 PM

Weird threat, wonder if this guy has a special deal going with Steinmeier.

logos999 Sep 24th, 2009 01:08 PM

If they at least had some Gozilla like, "ape-man guy" presenting the threat, instead it's a not too intelligent looking young Hippie with far too long hair, braces and and a mal adjusted tie.

Hippies in suits playing terrorists, how far has the world degraded. I'll take Bader-Meinhof anytime.

flanneruk Sep 24th, 2009 08:22 PM

Is it tempting fate to point out that Al Qaeda has promised dreadful punishment on the hour, every hour, for the past few years to just about everyone in the West?

Between its adolescent bombast and Western governments' understandable fear of being criticised for ignoring the one warning in a million that's soundly based, the likelihood remains that even at DefCon SuperRedPlus, we're all more at risk of death from sheer bloody irritation at the towelheads' overwrought rhetoric than from anything else.

And, even when the warnings prove well-founded, the dimwits' sheer incompetence has, for the past four years at least, meant the biggest damage they've inflicted on us in the West has been the cost of arresting them, prosecuting them and keeping them locked up when - <b> as has happened every single time since July 8, 2005 </b> - they screw up.

Whether it's bombs on the Tube that don't go off, carbombs that smoulder for long enough to get defused, pillocks so stupid they aim cars at an airport and miss, or bomb plots they boast about in front of Special Branch cameras, the past four years have shown conclusively why all (yes: every single one of them. Including Malaysia, Dubai and Turkey) Islamic nations are backward.

Islam simply breeds stupidity, gullibility and incompetence.

As you'd expect when a religion tells its faithful that organising a pissup in a brewery is a sin.

logos999 Sep 25th, 2009 01:31 PM

The boy that published the video on youtube has been arrested in Stuttgart today. Extradite him at once! for being so stupid to post the video from his own PC at home.

How can anybody be so stupid! Don't he know we have total internet surveillance in this country...

spassvogel Sep 25th, 2009 01:35 PM

Hey - try to get into their shoes - AQ I mean..

Why on Earth would you wait until "beyond the election"? Even Bin Laden knows there are Oktoberfest, Christmas Markets, Rock concerts etc etc etc.................

We live with that kind of "thread" since 09/11.

Don't worry!

Just relax - it's Kismet anyway!

SV

logos999 Sep 25th, 2009 01:42 PM

I don't know why he wants to wait, spassvogel, just that the hippie said so in his "message". He claimed, the people have a choice now to vote for the right party :D. And if they do that and repent, they won't be killed.

Listen to all of it and have a good laugh.
He just didn't mention what the correct vote would be, darn...
That would have helped!!

DAX Sep 25th, 2009 10:20 PM

LOL, now the idiot can stop being so grateful after his arrest. I don't think I can stand listening to all 8 minutes of his stupid ranting.

bilboburgler Sep 26th, 2009 03:53 AM

I'm not so sure we should see Islam as such a critical cause of stupidity. I waiver between

1) I don't trust the competence of anyone who base their philosphy and actions on interpretations of a book or
2) I don't trust anyone who doesn't read books.

bilboburgler Sep 26th, 2009 03:56 AM

On another note, the Irish bombers started out being pretty useless and by practise and patience (and getting locked up together) got more and more competent. I guess its like every muscle if you exercise it often enough it gets bigger. What worries me is they keep doing this stuff wrong they may end up starting to do it right. I'd hesitate to say this is evolution but maybe.

bettyk Sep 26th, 2009 05:18 AM

We've been in Germany since 7 Sept and are departing from Frankfurt Airport on Tuesday, the 29th. We are expecting stricter security and longer lines. Whether it happens or not, who knows.

traveller1959 Sep 26th, 2009 02:19 PM

Simply ignore this kind of warnings and enjoy your trip to Germany.