Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (
-   Europe (
-   -   US-UK Terrorist Plot.... (

ma23peas Aug 10th, 2006 03:43 AM

US-UK Terrorist Plot....
We're supposed to travel 9/12....are any of you that are traveling in the next 30 days rescheduling your trip? I know I'll get a dozen calls from my family urging us not to go and don't want to let this change our plans...please share your thoughts....


(We were booked on flights on 9/12 the year of the WTC tragedy...all flights were cancelled but we flew as soon as they were opened and had availability...about 10 days was a great one was at Disney except stranded foreigners)

sera Aug 10th, 2006 03:45 AM

Where are you traveling from/to? And on what airline?

kerouac Aug 10th, 2006 04:00 AM

How about letting at least 24 hours pass before making any decisions?

kswl Aug 10th, 2006 04:04 AM

Tara, I understand your worry and desire to deal with your problem and make the decision quickly. However, Kerouac has a point---things change drastically after this kind of incident. Usually the result is better security. Wait and see.

bellastarr Aug 10th, 2006 04:04 AM

I am scheduled for a trip to Italy in September, and have no plans whatsoever to change the dates unless something occurs to physically prevent me from travelling..

rex Aug 10th, 2006 04:11 AM

I have (domestic) flights scheduled for both tomorrow (<i>August</i> <b>eleven</b>) and for (my birthday), <i>September</i> <b>eleven</b> (coming home from working).

I'll be diligent, patient and wary. But no rescheduling.

Don't give in to &quot;terror&quot;. They're winning too much already.

Best wishes,


Stellarossa Aug 10th, 2006 04:18 AM

I assume there are elections in the UK soon?

/all in the mind.

Dukey Aug 10th, 2006 04:20 AM

I still believe a better question would be will you be satisfied with the hand baggage screening procedures during times when plots have NOT been uncovered?

willit Aug 10th, 2006 04:31 AM

Stellarossa - no general election is due for some time in the UK.

Were I to be cynical (And I again will say I am not anti today's actions on the basis of current knowledge) I would say that providing nobody is hurt, then Tony Blair would not hate this little episode.

He is having a hard time at the moment from the public in general as well as half his own party and cabinet. There is some disquiet that Tony has even given up pretending to be anything other than &quot;George's poodle&quot; over the Middle East.

Something to remind the oublic about &quot;Vicious Muslim Terrorism&quot; may help him.

mvor Aug 10th, 2006 04:33 AM

We are flying on 9/8 to Switzerland and will not reschedule.

Be patient with your family and then proceed to do what's best for you.

AAFrequentFlyer Aug 10th, 2006 04:39 AM

I have over 60K miles of flying scheduled for the remainder of the year, starting with flights to San Francisco and Washington DC in ~10 days, and later, flights to Alaska, Peru, Seattle, England and finally 2 to Ireland and I'm not changing or cancelling any one of the trips.

Just chill out. This will be gone and forgotten in few days.

Carrybean Aug 10th, 2006 04:41 AM

Rex, we share the same birthday.

ira Aug 10th, 2006 04:42 AM

Hi tara,

Let's say that you reschedule and another plot is foiled, so you reschedule, and another plot is discovered.........

When will you ever go?


digs2005 Aug 10th, 2006 04:45 AM

Going to Italy 9/14 and I do not plan on resceduling the trip or cancelling it!! I do plan on getting to the airport 3 hours earlier then originally intended now but that is it

Stellarossa Aug 10th, 2006 04:51 AM

Willit - thanks. Maybe these 'plots' have been going on for years and we just never heard about it but when Bliar needs a ratings boost he asks the press along?

terrorist/ turrists/ tourists. All basically from the same stripe.

ma23peas Aug 10th, 2006 05:11 AM

Ira!! That is exactly how I think! I did break a little and bought trip insurance this morning..what's a few bucks to save a few thousand...but when traveling by myself I would have NO problem and wouldn't give it a second thought. I'm a mother to three precious little souls and am more dealing with the responsibility of putting them on a plane when the perceived/real risk is greater than it was yesterday.

It gives me a little bit of relief that we are flying Delta and out of Atlanta...I won't make any decisions to cancel until a few days before our trip and feel safer knowing they're taking such strong extremes to gain a handle on this particular threat. If I had strong concerns I wouldn't have booked a flight on 9/12...but I really try not to let &quot;fear&quot; rule my decisions. The most inconvenience I foresee this event having is the endless explanation/conversations I'll be having with family (even my husband saying this morning it's time to cancel...he's never traveled abroad and is a pessimist on a good day) I had to remind him of our Disney trip and how he claimed it was our best trip because we were practically there by ourselves! I'm rambling now, but I greatly appreciate all the perspectives on this topic and thank you all...


AAFrequentFlyer Aug 10th, 2006 05:21 AM

I'm not sure what kind of trip insurance you bought so this may not apply to you, but in most cases trip insurance does not cover trip cancellation initiated by you due to some outside concerns.

I hope you read the T&amp;Cs before purchasing.

Have a wonderful trip!

francophile03 Aug 10th, 2006 05:24 AM

I share your concern as we are to travel in fall too. Hopefully all will be better by the time you travel.

To stellarossa, Bliar (B-liar)?

ma23peas Aug 10th, 2006 05:26 AM

I purchased through Travelguard...they said today's incident wouldn't apply (well, it's outside the 30 day window anyhow)...but any threat that is targeted in a town I am traveling to during my vacation is considered fully covered. I went over several scenarios with her...if the threat level remains at the high level within the 30 days of my travel...that is reason for my policy to be in effect. In my mind, I would only cancel if an actual event occurred, and then it's only a 50% chance I'd cancel...I feel it is safer to travel then.

pavfec Aug 10th, 2006 05:28 AM

We're flying to Berlin through London Heathrow on Sept. 7th. It always seems that something happens a month before we leave (last year, it was the million plane crashes in August before our September honeymoon). I'm just starting to get tired of these extremists and their plots...

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:01 PM.