Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   US MONEY IN TURKEY??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/us-money-in-turkey-779548/)

tgzshopper Apr 16th, 2009 08:43 PM

US MONEY IN TURKEY???

I am going to Turkey this Oct. and was wondering if I can use US money for tips on my tour or would this be impolite to do? I usually take a lot of small US bills and have them to tip with when I want give extra money at meals and maids.

kerouac Apr 16th, 2009 09:14 PM

This would be extremely impolite. Why not hand out chocolate bars or chewing gum while you're at it?

janisj Apr 16th, 2009 09:19 PM

"<i>I usually take a lot of small US bills and have them to tip with when I want give extra money at meals and maids</i>" Do you have ANY idea how much it costs people to change your piddly little $1 bills into their local currencies? You've been cheating people . . . . .

flanneruk Apr 16th, 2009 09:32 PM

How do American waiters feel about being tipped with small euro notes?

adrienne Apr 16th, 2009 10:31 PM

This is 1950s thinking. Guide books and tours used to recommend this and I've met people who still tip dollars without thought for either the exchange rate or for how much it will cost to convert the tips. I've had rest room matrons ask me to exchange American money for Euros, etc. which I always do for them as they will not be able to use any coin they've received. Why can't you tip in local currency?

ira Apr 17th, 2009 04:50 AM

Hi tg,

"Nekulturney", as the Russians would say.

((I))

littlecl Apr 17th, 2009 05:06 AM

Many countries don't accept older dollar notes to exchange in small value due to counterfeiting. and large notes have to be new - mid east and africa more so than Europe. With the dollar value being what it is - right now noone wants them. Use local currency.

bilboburgler Apr 17th, 2009 05:11 AM

the tip with dollar bills is only to be done as a last excuse and with more international people (ie waiters in intrern hotels. Not the right thing in turkey. Now what do you think is appropriate to tip for in turkey anyway?

Luisah May 25th, 2009 06:34 AM

<<I've had rest room matrons ask me to exchange American money for Euros, etc. which I always do for them as they will not be able to use any coin they've received. Why can't you tip in local currency?>>

Why do they ask for euros and not Turkish currency? Does this mean tipping in euros is acceptable?

Aduchamp1 May 25th, 2009 06:53 AM

How do American waiters feel about being tipped with small euro notes?

Last year when the Euro was high, it was acceptable at certain palces in NYC. In fact there were a few places that placed signs extoling the virtue of accpeting Euros.

On the last day of a trip it is often hard to guess the amount of the currency of the country that is needed and I ask if they would accept US Dollars.

StCirq May 25th, 2009 07:02 AM

Oh dear God, no.

suze May 25th, 2009 07:19 AM

I have not been to Turkey, but when I travel I use the local currency of the country I am visiting. Works out better that way!

thursdaysd May 25th, 2009 07:25 AM

Of course not. Although I did have a restaurant in Istanbul accept euros on my last day on my last trip - I think it may have been listed on the menu or posted on the door that they did that, as it was a place I'd eaten at before, and normally I'd have just visited an ATM. I do think it's rude to go around handing out dollar bills, though.

P_M May 25th, 2009 07:35 AM

Why do you think they would prefer US$ to the local currency which they can readily spend without the hassle and expense of exchanging? Always tip in the local currency no matter where you are.

Gretchen May 25th, 2009 07:37 AM

I hate to think of this person as an emissary of the US. I guess we can hope it is just a troll posting.

travelgourmet May 25th, 2009 09:15 AM

<i>Always tip in the local currency no matter where you are.</i>

There are plenty of countries where the US Dollar is widely accepted, either officially or unofficially. When visiting Cambodia, we ran into shopkeepers that refused to take the local currency. My understanding is that it is widely accepted in Africa, as well. Even in countries like Indonesia and Egypt, the entry visa is priced in US Dollars and payment can be made in such.

That being said, Turkey isn't Cambodia. But, it experienced 45% inflation as recently as 2003 and 25% inflation in 2004. Prior to that, Turkey saw inflation rates above 30% every year since 1980. Even in 2008, inflation was 8.7%. Frankly, until very, very recently, Turkey exactly fit the profile of the sort of destination where foreign currency would be acceptable, if not preferred.

All of the above readily answers the following question:

<i>Why do you think they would prefer US$ to the local currency which they can readily spend without the hassle and expense of exchanging?</i>

The answer, of course, is that in an inflationary environment, that local currency will be worth less tomorrow than it was today. At 8% inflation, that hassle and expense of exchanging is probably enough to outweigh the benefits, but that wasn't the case as recently as 2001-2002, when the Old Lira was in free-fall. I would have to assume that people were doing their best at this time to build up assets in foreign currency, rather than the Lira.

And searching the internet might not give you that clear of a picture as to what it is like today. If you Google "Tipping Turkey", the first site listed says that tipping in Dollars is acceptable, though it notes that Lira would be preferred:

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/d...y/Tipping.html

Similarly, Frommer's notes that, until recently, local prices were often quoted in US Dollars:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...349020005.html

I don't think that the question is as silly as most here are making it out to be. I know that it is popular to argue that Americans are ignorant and arrogant, but the idea of dollars substituting for or even being preferred to local currency is not as outlandish as many here want to make it out to be.

opaldog May 25th, 2009 09:21 AM

I know there was a time when dollars were preferable, but that was then and this is now! Our hotel in Istanbul quoted prices in euros, but accepted Liras or dollars as well. We actually brought dollars with us for the hotel and paid on arrival and received a discount for using cash. I am not an economist but felt that I would have to pay a fee to use the ATM for Liras and wasn't sure if I would be able take out the amount of money easily that I would need. It was just easier for us to do the dollars. The rest of the trip we used Liras in Turkey that we got from the ATM and had some extra euros from previous trips that we used at the airport in Zurich, our connection.

kerouac May 25th, 2009 09:25 AM

Since the dollar has begun dropping again, that will not be the preferred currency.

Travelgourmet, I've been to Cambodia 3 times and never had the local currency refused. Although many times the prices were listed in USD, I would always ask what the price was in riels and pay in whichever currency was more favorable to me (yes, I am a skinflint).

nytraveler May 25th, 2009 10:08 AM

This is so insulting to the people and government of Turkey that it is positively ridiculous. Talk about ugly Americans!! WHY would you think US dollars are legal tender in Turkey?

What are they supposed to do with this Monopoly money? It isn;t legal currency - and for them to take it to the bank and change it would cost more than the tip.

It would be much better to give nothing but a thank you.

Separately - why can;t you tip them in Turkish currency? Surely you will have pulled walking around money from the local ATM (or are you planning on paying for meals, beverages, transport, entrances etc in dollars as well)???

nytraveler May 25th, 2009 10:12 AM

Sorry - the last tine I did this was n the 1970's - and it was Russia - where consumer goods were incredibly expensive. I brought pantyhose for the hotel maids and waitresses - who were overjoyed - since what was 99 cents in the US was the equivalent of about $10 in Russia.

But - as soon as they opened their economy it became insulting there too.