Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   US dallors or only Euros (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/us-dallors-or-only-euros-847047/)

Innak19 Jun 28th, 2010 08:43 AM

US dallors or only Euros

Hi,

Will be visiting this places

1.NAPLES/CAPRI, ITALY
2. ROME (CIVITAVECCHIA), ITALY
3. FLORENCE/PISA(LIVORNO),ITALY
4. NICE (VILLEFRANCHE), FRANCE
5. PROVENCE(MARSEILLES), FRANCE
6. Barcelona

Do you know if I can use US $ everywhere or do I need to change Euro's for small shops and Taxi.

We are from NY where would I do the change.

Thank you

Narnya Jun 28th, 2010 08:45 AM

Exchange Dollars for Euros. You can do this at the airport, or overseas banks (for fees) -- or even beforehand from some banks there in NYC (check around). AAA offers currency exchange, too.

Michel_Paris Jun 28th, 2010 08:47 AM

You are in Europe. You will use euros, in a similar fashion that you cannot use euros in NY.

Use your ATM card, you will get the best exchange rate. There may be a per-use charge from your bank ( some up to $5 per transaction)

Do NOT let any one charge any credit card transactions in $US. There have been many stories here of people getting overcharged by bad exchange rates.

bobthenavigator Jun 28th, 2010 08:47 AM

You will need euros!
Do it at an ATM at your first stop.

Michel_Paris Jun 28th, 2010 08:49 AM

Do not exchange any large amount of euros at home. Maybe enough to get you from airport to hotel/appartment. Reason: get better rates over there than here.

Narnya Jun 28th, 2010 08:51 AM

Yes, ATMs... I forgot! Just make sure your card will work there -- verify the symbols and/or ask your bank/credit union before you leave.

simpsonc510 Jun 28th, 2010 09:16 AM

You might also ask your bank and/or credit union to UP your daily withdrawal limit so that you can a larger amount of euros at one time. DH and I do this before heading to Europe everytime.

jabez Jun 28th, 2010 09:26 AM

Your $ is basically worthless there. Call your bank and let them know you will be using your card there.

nytraveler Jun 28th, 2010 11:32 AM

Assume you are going on a cruise. Change a small amount $100 or so into euros at the bureau de change at your departure airport.

If you are taking tours from the cruise you can charge them to your credit card. If you want to travel on your own once you land (but be aware that the ports are often a significant distance - an hour or more from the cities they serve) go to the nearest ATM and pull cash from your checking account with your debit card.

Local stores do NOT want $ - few will take them (only tourist/souvenir places you are better off staying out of)- and if they do they will charge you a fortune on the exchange.

Ackislander Jun 28th, 2010 01:43 PM

I am glad nytraveler raised the possibility of a cruise. I thought the poster was doing a major troll. I guess they just don't travel much.

To the original poster:

It is about as likely that your local Duane Reade would accept euros as that a pharmacy -- to use one example -- in Europe would accept dollars.

ira Jun 29th, 2010 06:24 AM

ttt

vjpblovesitaly Jun 29th, 2010 06:30 AM

For pete's sake