Urgently need advice, Naples airport to ferry terminal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Currently in Venice, flying to Naples tomorrow. Had very bad experience with public transport in Brussels , daughter freaked out enough to insist we find another way to get to the ferry terminal to take hydrofoil to Sorrento.

First off, what is the best way to get there, can we avoid getting smashed into a city bus, and can we get from one place to another without getting ripped off?

Thanks so much in advance
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 10:29 AM

Okay, are you talking about getting from Naples Airport to Molo Beverello in Naples to take the hydrofoil to Sorrento? I've done this, it's not difficult. Take a taxi from the airport, the cab drivers in Naples are generally quite friendly and helpful, and there has been quite a campaign about taxi rip-offs there -they're not too bad about that.

Ask the taxi driver in advance, how much the fare will be to Molo Beverello-and then, ask him to point out the exact counter there where you buy your ticket for the hydrofoil-then go around to the other side and wait in that open-air area with the rest of the people for the respective hydrofoil to pull up to a numbered berth at the dock-there is a big digital sign that will tell you where and when the hydrofoil will depart from-keeping good watch over your personal items while you are waiting.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 10:36 AM

There is also a nice bus direct from the airport to Sorrento. It takes about 90 mins. Ask for Curreri Viaggi Bus.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you SO much, this was exactly the information we needed. Any idea on how much it SHOULD cost?

I will post complete multi country trip report when we return mid April and let you all know how it turned out
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Would prefer, at least for this leg of the trip, to stay off of the city busses. Hydrofoil is our first choice even though taxi from airport and hydrofoil to Sorrento might take a little longer.

Thank you for the info anyway
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 10:39 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If your daughter is going to freak out because of a bus - then a taxi is about your only option . . . .

(the mind boggles what could have caused such a melt down - I'm curious what happened)
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Freakout caused by hitting a pedestrian. A young boy...
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 10:45 AM

Gee, that's a shame. But a taxi could just as easily hit a pedestrian . . . How old is your daughter?
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 10:47 AM

Taxis in Naples look like they are just about to hit everyone and everything. It's not relaxing
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Taxi hit the pedestrian. Sorry to be brief, but at an internet terminal in Venice.

Daughter is 17

Thanks for the replies
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 10:51 AM

OK - I'm completely lost here. Your taxi hit a child and so now you can't take buses?
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 10:52 AM

I highly recommend the hydrofoil over the bus. I have said this before: Coming into the Sorrento port is a stunning sight-one of more beautiful ports in the world, I think-those cliffside views put you in an Amalfi Coast frame of mind.

I did this last September, it was very crowded, a Sunday, and it seems to me that the cost of the hydrofoil was something like 15 Euro-here is the website, - you will be taking the Alilauro line and the times for the Napoli-Sorrento ferry-but I can't seem to get the fare from here:

www.alilauro.it/orari.php?lingua=italiano
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 10:55 AM

I take the curreri bus very often from the airport. It's a beautiful ride up ON the cliffs all for 6E. Just one get on and one get off. Very relaxing. Naples taxi drivers freak me out!
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 10:57 AM

I took taxis at least three times this past September, maybe four-and not one of the Napoli taxi drivers freaked me-I liked all of them, and chatted them up-I like that term MOLO BEVERELLO-so I kept saying it to the taxi driver-(those vowels tend to roll off the tongue) he was laughing at me.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 11:06 AM

So sad about the pedestrian. No wonder your daughter is traumatized. Girlspytravel is giving you excellent advice.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 11:11 AM

Just seems odd if one freaked out because a taxi hit a pedestrian that they would want to then take a taxi. I must be missing something.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Three-by using the hydrofoil, you'll be getting to Sorrento MUCH QUICKER than by bus. I think it was like 45-50 minutes or so. I have some great pictures of Vesuvius from the hydrofoil as well as the port of Sorrento.

As for the taxi fare-there are predetermined fares from the airport to Molo Beverello-ask at the airport for that fare. Taxis are outside in arrivals area.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 11:47 AM

There's a compromise between taking a taxi and taking a city bus. There is a special bus that goes from the airport to Municipio which is just about a block easy walk to the port. That bus only makes one other stop -- at the central train station in Naples. You buy your tickets for the bus right by the luggage claim in the Naples airport. It also has a special area for luggage.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 01:53 AM

Hi - The Curreri Airport Shuttle (€ 6) direct to Sorrento takes about 1 hour. Deps at:

09.00 - 11.30 - 13.00 - 14.30 - 16.30 - 19.30

This will usually be the quickest/cheapest option.

http://www.curreriviaggi.it/

A taxi to Molo Beverello will cost € 30-40.

N.B. Hydrofoils to Sorrento are about every 2 hrs, so you could have a long wait:
http://www.sorrento-online.com/english/orari.htm

Fare: approx € 8

For details on the Alibus airport shuttle to Molo Beverello service (€ 3) see:
http://www.gesac.it/en/alibus.html

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the replies, we used the hydrofoil option after a quick 20 Euro taxi ride to the port. We got right on the boat we were hoping to catch and all went well.

Coming back to the states Wednesday, hope to post full trip report in the next few days after that.