Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Urgent - would you go to Italy Aug/sep? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/urgent-would-you-go-to-italy-aug-sep-611623/)

Kavey Apr 29th, 2006 12:14 PM

Urgent - would you go to Italy Aug/sep?

I was just about to book a trip to Venice for end of August into September (31 Aug would be our arrival date there) and am wondering whether it will be TOO hot and sticky?

I know it's hot and we'll want AC but I;m trying to assess (really FAST) whether it's bad enough to change dates.

These dates would encompass our wedding anniversary, hence the choice but it's my birthday later in the month so we could go for that instead...

Would a week or two make much difference?

nessundorma Apr 29th, 2006 12:22 PM

There is no guarantee that you won't get a heat wave two weeks later, but you will certainly get fewer crowds once you get past summer vacations.

I would pick the later dates, and hope for the best weather wise.

Kavey Apr 29th, 2006 12:25 PM

Thanks ND,
I guess I'm wondering how much of a difference there will be in heat and crowds and whether either will be enough to make it worth missing the actual anniversary...?
Only I can decide really!!!

P_M Apr 29th, 2006 12:26 PM

Hi, Kavey. Your b-day must be near mine--is yours the 24th, by any chance? :-)

I second the vote to go later, mainly for the decrease in crowds.

Maire Apr 29th, 2006 12:39 PM

We're going in August, but we have no choice of time. If I had a choice, I'd go later; almost every guidebook says avoid Italy in August if you can.

Kavey Apr 29th, 2006 12:43 PM

Mine is 30th! :D

But I just booked the seats and did indeed delay dates by a fortnight -
I decided reduced hotel prices and crowds were worth the delay even if heat wouldn't drop much!

Thanks for the input everyone!!!

Maire Apr 29th, 2006 12:50 PM

Kavey! Good for you! Did you by any chance get any decent airfares? I've got to book my trip soon, too. Thanks.

P_M Apr 29th, 2006 12:50 PM

Kavey, my sister's b-day is the 30th!! :-D She's a couple of years youger, but of course, I LOOK younger!! heehee....

Here's to the Libras!! ((D))

Enjoy your trip. :-)

Kavey Apr 29th, 2006 12:56 PM

Libras rule!
My sister has the same birthday too (different year) so it's quite the important date in my family!

We booked with airmiles - 900 airmiles per person plus taxes (I think £50 per person) for return from Gatwick to Marco Polo.

Maire Apr 29th, 2006 01:10 PM

Thanks, Kavey. Have a great trip.

sdtravels Apr 30th, 2006 07:35 AM

Kavey, we should compare notes when we get back. Our 10 year anniversary is Sept 1 and my birthday is Sept 15. We decided to brave the heat and crowds to be on a special trip for our anniversary. We arrive in Venice on Aug 25. Somehow I think you will come out ahead.

Kavey Apr 30th, 2006 08:36 AM

I dunno, it's a <insert your rude word of choice here> trying to find hotels with availability and affordable prices!

OH MY GOD!

Let alone worrying about location, room size, airconditioning!

I've contacted LOADS with price/ availability requests so will wait and see.

The place we stayed last time is just too expensive...

wanderlust5 Apr 30th, 2006 09:23 AM

I have been to Italy many times in August and July. Yes it is hot. But I just enjoy the fountains, the gelato and passagiate. Italy is beautiful year round in my opinion.

I've also been in late november and been freezing, especially in the veneto region

Personally I'll take the heat over cold any day.

Kavey Apr 30th, 2006 09:25 AM

Gutted!
I wrote to the owner of an apartment I loved the look of, recommended here on Fodors, and it's booked for our dates though available on the dates on either side!
Not only that but the owner sounds so NICE!
Goshdarnit!!!!!

suze Apr 30th, 2006 09:33 AM

I've been only to Venice, but twice, both times in August as it happened. I loved it. Sure it was hot and sticky... I just think of Venice as being that way! Didn't spoil our trip one bit.

nessundorma Apr 30th, 2006 09:44 AM

Kavey:

What is your hotel budget?

kelliebellie Apr 30th, 2006 09:57 AM

I've been to Venice in May and in late July. You did the right thing! Not only was July really really hot, 98 degrees one day, but all the locals had fled the city and it lost a lot of its charm. The glass factories on Murano all shut down during August and the canal at night was so dark because everyone was gone. You will enjoy it much more in September.

Kavey Apr 30th, 2006 10:18 AM

NessunDorma
Well... ideally, 130-150 Euros a night!

BUT for that I'm wanting either a hotel room that's of a good size, elegantly decorated, in a good location... blah blah blah OR a small apartment, studio would be fine, again, well furnished and located.

Oddly, I am finding options on Veniceby.com that look good and am finding their own sites and emailing for availability, prices and further information but nothing good yet.

We CAN go higher if need be but obviously, would rather not...

I cannot for the life of me see why some properties are 1* and others are 3* when both look of similar standard! But then that's always been a mystery to me in both Italy and France!

Kavey Apr 30th, 2006 10:19 AM

PS Thanks Suze and Kellie for the reassurance!

nessundorma Apr 30th, 2006 10:27 AM

Kavey,

Glad to hear you are finding options. Double check what you see on Veniceby against reviews on venere and tripadvisor, and you should be able to zero in on a winner.

Slow Travel also lists a lot of rentals in Venice. Just make sure you get air conditioning wherever you book.

The star system in Italy often takes account of whether or not a hotel has elevator or a restaurant. Or private baths or a lobby (many 1star don't have either).

I've stayed in some lovely 2stars and some mediocre 3stars, so it's best to get reviews.