Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Urgent - Need really special hotel near Saumur for upcoming trip to Loire this month!
Notices

Urgent - Need really special hotel near Saumur for upcoming trip to Loire this month!

Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Urgent - Need really special hotel near Saumur for upcoming trip to Loire this month!

Hi all,

I have booked the Le Manoir de Minimes for 6 nights and still have another 4 nights for the Loire and am looking for another location closer to Saumur to do the other places in that part of the Loire valley. I have been researching and people seem to love the Domaine le Haute de Loire (R&L) but they were not available on the dates we needed, so I have booked the Manior de Minimes instead which also looks very nice. However, I am struggling to find a similar quality property near Saumur. The pictures for the Anne d' Anjou do not look that great and Karen Brown calls it a place that 'is nice and run professionally'. The R&L website lists the Chateaux Belmont and the De Marcay as two chateaux in that area but neither have been commented much on in this forum.

Since the hotel stay is very important to us (family with 2 small children), please help me narrow down a wonderful hotel for this area. Thanks
Mar 2nd, 2007, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Hello, Since I posted this, I have also come across the Chateau de Rochacotte which is quite highly recommended and the location seems fine since it is reasonably close to Saumur and Angers. Photos on the web site are not as wonderful as the Domain Haute de Loire but will try to call them and check availability.
Mar 2nd, 2007, 04:59 AM

http://www.hotelfp-fontevraud.com/gb/page/histoire.php

Seriously good place. I take private wine tours here. Eat in the Unicorn up the hill one night (menu degustation) and in the abbey the other.

Ask for rooms on the 1st floor (one up from the ground) as they tend to be bigger.
Mar 2nd, 2007, 05:08 AM

You might want to check out Château de la Bourdaisière. Built by François I for his mistress, it later became the home of Gabrielle d'Estrées, favorite of Henri IV. There is an organic garden where they grow over 500 varieties and sell to chefs around the world.

I stayed there last year and only wish it had been longer.

[email protected]
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:24 AM

That should read "over 500 varieties of tomatoes."

One of the brothers (they are princes, or would be if there were still a monarchy) has shops in Paris, one in Palais Royal and one on the left bank, called Le Prince Jardinier.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

That sounds really cute Toupray! We will go by there then to see/ eat the wonderful organic produce! May not stay there since I have booked the Chateau Rochecotte which I hope will be nice.
Jan 13th, 2015, 06:42 AM

hi deepa
pls give feed back on Chateau Rochecotte as i too plan to go in may with 2 kids to saumur ..thanks
Jan 13th, 2015, 07:09 AM

This thread is 8 years old; best to always check dates of posts.

I see you have started your own thread, that is best way to get current info. Be sure to give enough details, like price you want to pay and when you will be going.

Search this Thread