Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   URGENT - HOTEL IN VENICE (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/urgent-hotel-in-venice-211392/)

Patrice Nov 30th, 2001 05:26 AM

URGENT - HOTEL IN VENICE

HI !<BR>I'm franctically trying to book a hotel in Venice for "one" night (the last Saturday during the Carnival). Every hotel is booked or will only accept reservations for at least 2 nights.<BR>ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ???<BR>(no, sleeping in my car is not a valid option !!! :-))<BR>Thank you<BR>

Steve James Nov 30th, 2001 06:01 AM

Hello Patrice,<BR><BR>Have you considered staying out of town?<BR>Treviso maybe, or Padova? Both are very close by train.<BR>It could be difficult to find something in Venice itself ...<BR><BR>Steve

Janice Nov 30th, 2001 08:41 AM

It's an ugly little place, but Mestre is very close to Venice (you could get there by train in about 10 minutes) and it has scads of hotels.

elaine Nov 30th, 2001 08:46 AM

Patrice<BR>try looking for a hotel that will accommodate you at www.verere.it<BR>it seems to be reliable from others' reports

Earl Nov 30th, 2001 08:52 AM

I think Elaine meant www.venere.it

elaine Nov 30th, 2001 09:02 AM

yes I did, thanks

beth anderson Nov 30th, 2001 09:27 AM

Hi<BR><BR>try Albergo Corona. It is maybe a 5 mins walk to Piazza San Marco. very cheap (a single last New Years was 75000 lire)<BR><BR>very clean, very good location, very cheap. NOT big and luxurious. but who cares. <BR><BR>you would have to check out Rick Steves Italy 99 book though. For some reason it didn't make the 2000 one, even though I stayed there just 11 months ago... I thought it was just fine... very Mom & Pop...

Lisa Dec 9th, 2001 08:44 AM

<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>For Steve: <BR>I've enjoyed your reports- found them helpful during my trip to Italy last Sept.<BR><BR>Had to cut my stay in Venice short, so I'm planning to return for a week next month..Arriving a few days prior to Carnival. My question: In your opinion, what nearby, trainable, towns in the North, might be fun to explore for a few days before continuing on to Geneva?<BR><BR>Also, I loved the peacefulness of the Dorsodoro area..do you think the entire area even 2 days before Carnival will be a ZOO? Moreover, a FUN zoo? Staying at La Calcina (sp?)-can't afford the Accademia this time. <BR>thanks for any imput, I'm sure you're a busy guy. You may em direct if you wish.

Yolanda Dec 9th, 2001 12:20 PM

Have you check with the monastaries?

james Dec 9th, 2001 01:18 PM

It can't be that expensive. Pay for two nights and stay only one, or change your plans and stay two. Save yourself a lot of angst.

beth anderson Dec 9th, 2001 02:11 PM

Patrice, have you found anything yet?<BR><BR>I am telling you, Albergo Corona! it's just the thing. cheap & cheerful, clean and central.<BR><BR>can't go wrong. it's not the Ritz but in a pinch, you don't have to worry about someone pinching your stuff.<BR><BR>Beth

Danie Dec 9th, 2001 03:01 PM

Try Quattro Fontane on the Lido, great hotel, great staff and only 5 minutes by water bus to Venice. good luck and happy travels

Debbie Dec 10th, 2001 06:05 AM

Patrice-We had a similar problem with a last minue addon to Venice when we visited Italy. I would highly recommend(and the times that others have taken my recommendation-they have emailed back to thank me)the Best Western in Mestre. It is directly across from the train station in Mestre that takes you to Venice(8 minute train ride for about 75 cents )that crosses the water with incredible views. The hotel caters to a business crowd and has a unbelievable breakfast buffet every morning.The staff are helpful,the place is very clean and is so convenient for everything.The prices are decent and you might even be able to book on the internet. Good luck!

Maurice Dec 17th, 2001 09:17 PM

Have you tried Hotel Riva?<BR>Search this site for it.<BR>They don't take credit cards, they just might have an opening. As I have related before on this site... we ended up Fed-ex'ing a set of signed travellers cheques to hold our reservation. But it's a very nice location.

bonnie Dec 18th, 2001 07:44 AM

Patrice-try either of these two convents <BR>Casa Caburlotta, single room $35, 10:30pm curfew, <BR>Tel: 041/710877-Fax:041/710875<BR>or<BR>Casa Cardinal Piazza, single room $35,<BR>no curfew<BR>Tel: 041/721388-Fax:041/720233<BR><BR>I've never stayed here, but they're close in and recommended by several travel books.

Marty Dec 18th, 2001 03:19 PM

Partrice: We once stayed at the hotel in Mestre that Debbie is talking about. It is the Hotel Bologna, and, other than staying on the island, it has to be the most convenient hotel. Honestly, you simply cross the street and climb on the train! It runs every 10 minutes.

adeitch Dec 19th, 2001 09:48 AM

Last winter I stayed at Hotel Casanova. It was small but cheap. I don't have the contact information. Really close to San Marco square. <BR>Have fun.