Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   URGENT HELP WITH AMERICAN COMPUTER IN PARIS (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/urgent-help-with-american-computer-in-paris-887912/)

Areala Apr 23rd, 2011 11:43 PM

URGENT HELP WITH AMERICAN COMPUTER IN PARIS

I am in Paris 1th arr

I accidentally left part of my charger cord home.

I have an american computer HP G72B27CL Notebook....if that even matters

anyway

I have the part of the charger chord that goes from the computer itself to that big black boxy thing....the chord that goes into the other end of that and then into the wall outlet is the part I left behind.

Is there someplace here in Paris I can find one if not just that part but perhaps a whole charger chord that would fit my computer ???

I have to turn off the computer but I will check back this afternoon for any responses. I don;t want to use up what little charge I have.

This means I can't really use my computer too much nor can I use Skype.

Please HELP !!!

Thanks

willit Apr 24th, 2011 12:45 AM

Technically, your Laptop was almost certainly main in the far East (they nearly all are).

Chargers are a bit of a problem because the voltage and current has to match the laptop BUT you have the charger, all you need is the power lead. There are only to or three types, so any computer store should have one. Take the charger with you so you can show an assistant. It should be fairly cheap.

willit Apr 24th, 2011 12:46 AM

whoops, that should obviously be "made in the Far East"

WileyECoyote Apr 24th, 2011 12:51 AM

Don't panic! You should be able to find an electronic store and just buy the plug in part of the cord for about $15 with a European plug - this saves you from needing an adapter.

As the first post suggests, take the power brick with you to the store to make sure you get the correct one but it should not be a problem!

Phil Apr 24th, 2011 01:06 AM

Areala:

No major problem indeed. Try any FNAC store. They have pretty comprehensive computer departments. You will find the list of stores (7 in Paris) at:

http://www.fnac.com/localiser-magasin-fnac/w-4

Hope this helps.

Phil.

Phil Apr 24th, 2011 01:08 AM

Sorry, hit the return key too soon. There is a NFAC at forum des Halles, at 1/7 rue Pierre Lescot in the 1st arrondissement.

Phil.

kerouac Apr 24th, 2011 02:49 AM

Darty should also have them.

I did the same thing in NYC and just went to Radio Shack to buy a cord.

kerouac Apr 24th, 2011 02:50 AM

Of course the stores are closed today, but most of them will be open tomorrow in spite of the holiday.

Ackislander Apr 24th, 2011 03:09 AM

Take the cord and box that you do have with you. Talking computers in French at FNAC is not necessarily easy, and you can't expect them to know computer English.

Ask me how I know this?

J62 Apr 24th, 2011 03:19 AM

If you're at a hotel check at the front desk. They my have a cord you can borrow. Chargers of all sorts are quite commonly left behind.

Ask me how I know this?

lincasanova Apr 24th, 2011 04:40 AM

ha ha ha J62 and Ackislander!

kerouac Apr 24th, 2011 07:56 AM

Of course there are also a zillion little computer repair shops run by the Indo-Pakistani community. They are open every day at all hours.

Unfortunately, Areala can't read any of our messages because the battery is already dead.

Christina Apr 24th, 2011 08:19 AM

maybe she will go to a cybercafe to read them, that's what I do in Paris as I don't carry computers with me.

I am not really clear where she is (the 1th?) which I think could be the 1st or the 11th. In any case, I like the one on bd Beaumarchais near Chemin Vert metro stop (cyber cafe) -- east side of street.

uhoh_busted Apr 24th, 2011 08:21 AM

Sometimes the best travel experience comes out of having to solve a problem like this.

Areala Apr 24th, 2011 02:52 PM

I Thank you all in advance. I don't have much power left so I waited until now to check my messages and it looks like a lot of you guys came thru for me.

I will try the FNAC store tomorrow but you are right. It is a Holiday here tomorrow so I don't have much hope but I will try anyway.

We were out all day and even though this is my 6th trip to Paris I have to say I never so this place as busy and crowded as it has been since we got here. The lines at the Louvre today were over 3 1/2 hours long we were told...so we skipped that for today and it will be closed tomorrow on Monday so we shall try later in the week....

The weather has been absolutely perfect so far but I see on the internet it will be changing over the next day or so but at least we have had some very good weather and just a little bit warm.

Having a lovely time in spite of our bad start !!

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I will post when I have news on the outcome.

Later..
Areala

Areala Apr 24th, 2011 02:56 PM

Also, I am not staying at a hotel. We rented an apartment for 8 nights so no front desk to ask for help.

Also I have gone to a couple of cybercafe's but haven't found one with an american keyboard as well as when I logged in I got everything in French even yahoo...

I not only want my computer for emails but I have booked marked a lot of good ideas for what to see and do or eat in Paris from this board and I want to check some of those places out

also, I use my skype to call home and for home and friends to call me, so the computer is handy in any ways.

I finally figured out how to make my Skype work on my iphone 4 that I took with me...so...that helps

more later

cferrb Apr 24th, 2011 04:28 PM

Areala, are you aware that you can purchase tickets down in the underground Carousel mall and food court. I don't know whether this also lets you shortcut around the long line to get in.

uhoh_busted Apr 24th, 2011 05:00 PM

OK. You can Skype via your iPhone, so you aren't in too bad a situation. But what is the problem with using a Euro keyboard -- it takes a few minutes to figure it out --even less if you can ask someone a question. I've never had a problem with that...

Seamus Apr 24th, 2011 06:26 PM

try Surcouf at 21, blvd Haussmann in the 9th near the department stores
Metro stop Chaussée d'Antin (line 7)
Do take the power brick with you so you can be sure to get the correct configuration.

Christina Apr 25th, 2011 09:25 AM

I don't like using Euro keyboards, either, but I type very fast and am a touch typist. It really slows you down a lot.

That cybercafe I mentioned on Bd Beaumarchais has plenty of English keyboards. So do all the other ones I've known (Cybercube is one chain throughout Paris, and they do, also), so that's too bad. Cybercube is a lot more expensive than the one on bd Beaumarchais, though.