Search

URGENT!! Budget for PARIS 3 day/2 night stay

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2015, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
URGENT!! Budget for PARIS 3 day/2 night stay

Hey all!
Being the unorganised teenager that I am, I have left it till the last minute to actually logically think about my spending budget for my trip to Paris.
Bit of background to set the scene - I'm 16 and from Scotland, travelling with two of my friends, aged 16 and 17. We are holidaying at one of their grandmother's house on the west coast of France and having a little city break to Paris, just us three. Our stay is in early July (yes I know it's very soon and I am pretty broke!)
* I have already booked and paid for my hotel, and transport INTO and OUT of Paris. *
What I want help with is how much should we budget for:
- intra-city transport
- food (breakfast is covered by our hotel)
- spending money
over the three day stay.
Obviously, I'm aware that the 'spending money' will differ depending on what we want to do. This includes the typical tourist attractions such as going up the Eiffel tower, having a boat ride on the Seine, and visiting the catacombs and maybe attending a cabaret show... Will this be possible as we are under 18?
A lot of the things we want to do are free though, such as visiting the Luxemburg gardens, the sacre coeur and walking down the champs-elysees.

A couple more things (congrats if you're still reading by the way) -
I'm a vegan. My English teacher told me this would be a problem for me as the French are big on not wasting food. However, I didn't imagine this being a problem in a diverse metropolitan city. I welcome any thoughts on this!!
Finally, we aren't planning on going crazy as we aren't big drinkers anyway, but will we be likely to get ID'd. I understand European countries outside of the UK are generally more relaxed, but am I right in thinking that cities are stricter?

Thank you all so so so much for reading. As I said, I'm leaving pretty soon and I'm actually going on holiday beforehand to Cologne (aaahh!!) so I have very little time to prepare. Lesson learnt I suppose...
Thanks again!
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 11:42 AM

THe Lets go guide helped me stick to a budget. May want to look into that. I used it when backpacking around Europe years ago. Honestly, when I went to Paris I didn't go up the Eiffel tower as I was young and broke too. Being in Paris is entertaining itself Notre Dame, walking around. You can always go back.

I don't know about drinking ages there. In USA they are very strict about it but Paris is different. You can always buy food from supermarkets and do a picnic. French food is very expensive to me and we couldn't find a solid meal for under 20 dollars US currency and that was 10 years ago. Almost double of what we would pay in Italy or Spain. I used Lets go Guide for recommendations. Have fun!!!
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 12:17 PM

Those cabaret shows are very very expensive. If you are watching a budget, that wouldn't be in it. But yes, I think you can go to one at your age, they allow people in age 6+ (there are some afternoon shows more for the kiddies). But don't worry about the age thing. I've heard the Moulin Rouge has some nice costumes for a shows, might as well go classic. The 11 pm show is the cheapest (no dinner). But it's still around 100 euro, varies by date.

Being a vegan is difficult in many cities, not just Paris, when eating in restaurants. So you seriously won't eat anything with even butter or eggs in it, let alone cheese? good luck. YOu can find a few things, but it won't be easy. Just be careful as they use eggs in lots of sauces and may put things in salads yu aren't aware of (ie, "lardons" are in a lot of them, which is bacon).

I don't understand the comment about how they don't like to waste food vs. vegan. But you can search online to find vegan restaurants, I'm sure.

A budget is difficult as it depends on your eating patterns and tastes re expensive stuff. I'd budget 5-10 euro for transportation daily, maybe another 10 (on avg) for sites, and at least 40 euro per day for food/drink. So at least 60-70 euro per day. And that doesn't allow for expensive things like cabaret.

Never tried to drink when underage so don't know. I know it's no problem if you are with someone older as I've been with girls 16-17 and they could drink when with me (40ish). If you don't look like a very young teen, and just plop down at a cafe where other young people are, it probably won't be hard. I know a couple-- there are some on bd Montparnasse in the 14th where I usually stay and some of those cafes are real popular with very young people. Here is one, for example
http://www.cafelatelierparis.com/
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 12:19 PM

http://veganparis.com/
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 12:27 PM

Skip that, she took a trip to Mexico.

http://veganparis.com/2009/01/13/veg...s-on-a-budget/

I love the markets with fresh fruits, nuts, veggies. The baguettes might be ok but other pastry will have non vegan ingredients. I feel like there is so much free in Paris it is great deal. I would go cheap at 50 euro a day to high of 75 for you.
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 12:50 PM

The OP went to Mexico instead?? She just posted this question.

True, a typical baguette only has flour, water, salt and yeast. Any pastry will probably have butter in it. And a lot of breads do, also, like pain de mie, as well as perhaps some milk or even eggs.
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 01:07 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
No Christina -- the first blog entry flpab posted.
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 01:10 PM

The OP went to Mexico?? She just posted the Paris question at 3:30 today. Mexico seems a little unlikely.
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 03:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
No -- the first link flpab posted is about <u>Mexico</u> -- nothing (at all ) to do w/ the OP. S/he cleaned that up by posting a different/correct link . . .

Jeeze flpab -- bet you're sorry you posted now
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 04:20 PM

You can easily determine the cost of any sights/activities - just google them. Then you can decide which is worth the money. And don;t forget the cost of the Metro.

There is no way I would pay to go to one of the cabaret shows in Paris. they are very expensive and IMHO aimed at older american tourists who think they are seeing something naughty - like old fashioned Las Vegas.

In terms of drinking you have to be 18 to purchase alcohol - but there is no minimum drinking age. When we traveled with our DDs (14 and 17) they were always served wine when we ordered a bottle in a restaurant.

However I have no clue if they will ask for ID if you go to a restaurant and order wine with a meal. I would suggest going to a bar or club is much more problematic unless you have fake ID.
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 04:51 PM

Cheap way to visit the Eiffel is to climb the stairs--fun and great exercise! We did itt in 2011and I'm not a young kid!
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 05:14 PM

Yes I m sorry, wish there was a delete button. It was veganparis but the blogger went to Mexico not the op. I was just thinking how hard it is to be a vegan and staying with someone or traveling with others.
I think dining and drinking wine is no biggie but clubbing is a different story.