Reload this Page >

Urgent!! Bike routes in the Cote d'Or

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 10:44 AM
chris

It's probably a long-shot but I'll ask anyway-<BR>It's going to rain here in Switzerland all weekend so I'm loading up the bike and driving to Beaune tomorrow morning for a long weekend. Does anyone have a circular bike route (10-15miles) in the Cote d-Or they like?

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Lori

Welcome to NY! It's raining now and is supposed to rain until Tuesday.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:49 PM
john

<BR>You would probably like a cruise north on the N74 into Nuits-St-Georges, 13 miles. South of Beaune it is very steep around Volnay, but with a great view of Beaune over the vinyards.<BR>www.enjoy-europe.com

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 01:00 PM
beth anderson

I was just going to say exactly what John said. I thought the n74 was quite pretty.<BR><BR>have fun, and report back! I may be persuaded to do something similar this summer...<BR><BR>Beth

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 12:44 AM
chris

Hello Beth,<BR><BR>We had a lovely weekend and the weather was more cooperative than in CH (though a bit on the chilly, breezy side, but nothing a bit of fleece and gortex couldn't handle). We "discovered" a few nice routes. Actually IMO it is better to stay off the busy N74 and just wander the small roads through the vineyards and between the villages. <BR><BR>Day 1 in the Cote de Nuits-we parked at the Chateau du Clos de Vougeot and biked through Chambolle-Musigny to the Hautes Cote (road D122h towards Chamboeuf), a long steady climb through a gorge and forest (not that steep, the ride to the top takes about 30 minutes). At the top, D116 junction we opted to ride down the dirt road through the woods back down to Gevry-Chambertin. Then we cycled to Fixin and circled back through the vineyards via the route Grands Crus (D122) back to Chambolle-Musigny and over to Gilly les Citeaux (the Chateau du Gilly does look fab!) and back to the Clos de Vougeot for a tour or the Chateau (ask for the free tape recorded tour). Entire circuit took approx. 4 hours including stops. <BR><BR>Day 2 in the Cote de Beaune-Parked at the Chateau de Meursault and cycled up hill (a long climb, but VERY rewarding views) through Hameau de Blagny through the lovely villages of Gamay and Saint-Aubin, then another uphill climb (this one steeper) for the most incredible views over the vineyards and when you get to the top and start down toward Rochepot there is a jaw-dropping view of the Chateau de la Rochepot-a definite must. We cycled back a slightly different route back to Saint-Aubin on the D33 but used the same route back to Meursault (via Gamay/Blagny) for the fantastic cellar tour and wine tastings. Entire circuit with stop for lunch 4 hours. This was really a fabulous ride and we will do it again when all the grapes are growing. It was nice seeing the workers preparing the Vines though. <BR><BR>I noticed at least one bike rental place in Beaune. Bourgogne Randonees www.terroirs-b.com/br

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:10 AM
beth anderson

thanks!!<BR><BR>I am about to set off on my own bike ride... it's a LOVELY day.. although it won't be nearly as scenic as your ride this past weekend.<BR><BR>There was an interesting-looking little cemetery which you could see from the n74, on the road from Nuits St. George to Beaune - I didn't stop that time, but it looked kinda neat - very small, walled in, on the edge of a field. I'll have to check it out when I go back.<BR><BR>I did see that bike shop! It was closed however - it may have just opened? I was there in mid March. There was a bike shop which was open, but they didn't rent bikes - only for sale.<BR><BR>glad you had a great weekend, and thank you for following up!<BR><BR>Beth