Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   URGENT-Any US citizens travel to Sarajevo lately? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/urgent-any-us-citizens-travel-to-sarajevo-lately-623742/)

lsscancun Jun 15th, 2006 07:04 AM

URGENT-Any US citizens travel to Sarajevo lately?

Urgent because we are scheduled to take a tour in August in Croatia and Slovenia, with a day trip to Neretva Gorges-Mostar, and an overnight in Sarajevo. The US State Dept. issued another travel warning 3/30/06 for US citizens not to travel in Bosnia for various reasons, and if so to register with the US Embassy before going.
We are trying to get the tour operator to allow us to travel somewhere else during that time and then meet up with the group at another place in Croatia. However, they state that you have to go to Bosnia. Have any others travelled there lately, and if so, what are your thoughts regarding this?
I'm shocked that the tour company still goes there if there is this warning...although not sure where the tour operator (Cosmos) is operated from.
We are so excited to go to Croatia and Slovenia, but August is very busy, and this is the third tour we have tried to take. The other two were already fully booked. We don't want to wait to book this one in case it fills up. Our travel agent is swaiting our answer.
Thank you.

SloJan Jun 23rd, 2006 10:05 AM

It's not a big deal and if you go, make sure you watch "Flowers for Sarajevo" first.

I thought that the thing to watch out for in Bosnia were any live land mines, but you aren't going hiking.

lsscancun Jun 25th, 2006 04:05 PM

Do you know where I can get "Flowers for Sarajevo"? I can't find it anywhere. Who was in it and what year did it come out?

SloJan Jun 26th, 2006 09:31 AM

Oops...sorry! It's Welcome to Sarajevo. :"> It stars Woody Harrelson, Marisa Tomei and Goran Visnijc (from ER). It is an excellent movie about the siege of Sarajevo and based on a true story. It is very emotional however, so don't watch when you are already feeling down. It should be required viewing before going. You will see a lot of devastation still.

lsscancun Jun 26th, 2006 02:42 PM

Thanks SloJan for the correction. I did watch Welcome to Sarajevo years ago, and it was very touching. I just ordered it so that my son and I could watch it again before we go to Sarajevo in August. This time it will really be emotional knowing that we will be there.
I also just read a book based on the diaries of Zlatna,an 11 year old during the war...like the diary of Anne Frank. It is so hard to imagine living in a war zone. I'm very lucky living in the USA, never having to contend with anything like that. It will really put everything in prospective when we travel there.

Debi Jul 20th, 2006 05:56 AM

I'm going to Sarajevo in September on business - was in Serbia and Macedonia a month or so ago. Now, I unfortunately never have time to see local sites, the warning from the Dept of State isn't one of their really strong warnings...and I think Americans have to consider seriously any time they go to alot of countries. Just be a very safe traveler - don't take undue risks, and don't go to areas that you know aren't safe (most hotels will be very specific with where you should or shouldn't go). If I were with a tour operator, I would feel fine. I hear Bosnia is nice....and I really liked Macedonia.... very rural there, much smaller cities than in Serbia... Enjoy your trip!

lsscancun Jul 20th, 2006 06:56 AM

Thanks Debi for your response. We are going in a few weeks and I can't wait. You have a good time also when you go in Sept.

Debs Jul 20th, 2006 03:52 PM

Isscancun-Would be interested in reading a trip report about your travels to and observations of Sarajevo. This is an area we have a great interest in visiting and am looking into that possibility for next year. Happy travels!