London - where to buy sports team shirts for kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two little grandsons who are crazy about sports. When we go to London later this month, I'd like to get them T-shirts of British sports teams -- football (soccer) or rugby. Of course, I know less than nothing about the sports scene in the UK. What are the "cool" team shirts, and where could I find some in kids' sizes?
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:58 AM

Well there are plenty of sports shops and most dept stores will be able to help you.
The most common amongst youngsters are one of the following:
Football:
Manchester Utd
Liverpool
Chelsea
Arsenal
Newcastle Utd
England football and rugby
Wales,scotland,Ireland rugby
British lions Rugby
I am sure some people will say there are more just as popular, and there probably are.
Just be prepared for the shock of how much they will cost you.
(By the way I like the Cardiff City ones but thats not so popular...lol)
Good Luck

Muck
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 09:22 AM

Lily White's at Picadilly Circus was reasonable. We bought a couple of things there for under 15GBP (we happened to hit a really good sale).
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 09:59 AM

Lilly whites is a huge sports store in Piccadilly Circus that will stock anything you could want to buy.

Football (soccer to you) shirts to buy would be:
one of the top 3 English club teams. These are Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United. Pains me as it does to say it, speaking as an Aston Villa fan, you should probably go for Manchester United as they are the most internationally famous club, and are in fact the world's biggest sports team (in terms of club value). You can also find Manchester United and Arsenal shirts at Nike Town in Oxford Circus, as Nike make their kit.

All teams have at least 2 strips (home and away colours). While the colour of the home shirt remains the same, the away shirts often change colour from season to season, so to play it safe and buy a shirt that people might recognise, you should probably go for the home shirt. These are red for Manchester Utd and Arsenal, and blue for Chelsea.

Alternatively, as a momento of your trip, you may want to buy the England national team shirt. This is white (home colours) or red (away colours - although the red shirt is popular as it's the colour England wore when we won the World Cup back in 1966. Yes, sadly it was that long ago, but England are still one of the world's top teams.)

For rugby, I presume you would want to buy a British team shirt as a momento - so you can choose from Wales, England or Scotland. England are current rugby world champions, but Wales are also a very good team. Scotland are a bit rubbish at the moment, but if you've got any emotional or family attachments to Scotland, then by all means choose that one.

If you want the genuine article, then make sure you buy from a proper store and not a market stall - there's a lot of fakes around. Genuine shirts will have an official looking tag saying something like 'official merchandise'. Team shirts are expensive, so if you're shocked by the price, then there's plenty of other stuff you can get - all the usual hats, scarves, key rings, sweatshirts, socks, bags, branded footballs etc etc. If you want to make sure you're buying the official shirt that teams play in and not just some t-shirt with their logo on, then ask a sales assistant for help.

Oh, and by the way, getting kids sizes is no problem at all.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 09:59 AM

There's a store at Heathrow that specializes in these, that's where I do all my shopping for my son. Probably more expensive, but very efficient.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:34 AM

The best places to buy shirts in London would be Lillywhites at Picadilly or soccer scene/rugby scene off carnaby street (behind Regents Street.
I've only seen adult shirts in Niketown.

As others have posted each team has a VRY loyal and vocal following. In London there are many popular teams- Arsenal,Chelsea, Fulham, and then ManU and Liverpool. Best bet with rugby are the national teams.
Team sponsors are all over the front of most. That might be the deciding factor for you. I don't think twice about the liverpool shirt my son wears- but some school wouldn't allow it as it says "carling" on the front. Chelsea shirts have "fly emirates."

Shirt colors and designs change EVERY year! Average shirt price will run 25-40 pounds
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all you sports fans for the great information. I will admit that I'm blown away by the prices -- I wasn't planning to spend over $50 per kid for a T-shirt! I hope I'm as lucky as Jenn to find a few sales!
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 05:30 PM

Nonnafelice,

At the moment the dollar converts to 26.21GBP. You should do ok at Lilly Whites. If I recall correctly, not many regular priced items were too expensive. I wouldn't think you'd have a problem, especially for children's garments.

Of course, then it's off to Harrod's for something for yourself, right? =o)
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 06:02 PM

the most obvious would be the england national football or rugby team shirts. this may be best if the league teams do not mean anything to them.

yes, the genuine shirts are very expensive. you may want to try TK Maxx for england kit or Camden market for previously worn vintage football shirts of all varieties.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 02:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You mention not paying $50 for a T Shirt. You need to be clear that the prices are for "Replica" shirts which are a different thing. If you just want a cheap T shirt then any of the larger markets should find one for around £5.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 04:13 AM

Rubicund, this 8 year old thread was topped by an advertiser (who I've reported).
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 05:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Must remember to always check thread dates!
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 07:48 AM

<<Football (soccer to you) shirts to buy would be: one of the top 3 English club teams. These are Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United.>>

Wow, I'm thinking everyone on Merseyside would chuck a wobbly at that listing considering that the resumes of Arsenal and Chelsea don't come close to Liverpool's.

Last check, Man City and Tottenham are holding top 4 positions in the Premier League, Arsenal isn't.

As for Mucky's comment, I like Newcastle but I have no clue why that team would be popular among the youth of England considering its recent level of suck, especially compared to Manchester City, Everton or Spurs.

To the OP: ultimately, be prepared to pay $40-60 per souvenir on the LOW side. European soccer teams generally don't "do" T-shirts, they have varieties of replica match jerseys (the uniforms the teams wear during the match), replica warmup jerseys, replica shorts, team scarves and a few licensed t-shirts (at best) that cost a ridiculous pot of money for anything with an official license (about $40 and up). The replica jerseys are probably about double the t-shirt price. Knock-offs are cheaper but won't be sold at a top sporting goods/sporting apparel type store (equivalent of Dick's Sporting Goods/City Sports/Sports Authority). My "inexpensive" Real Madrid t-shirt cost 30E at the club shop.

If you're looking for a US tie-in for the kids, get a Tottenham jersey of Clint Dempsey (the US's best player currently), Brad Friedel (the Tottenham starting goalkeeper and the US national team's 'keeper during its best showing at the World Cup) or an Everton jersey of Tim Howard (the current starting goalkeeper for both Everton and the US national team when he recovers from his back injury). The latter two have extra "uniqueness" because goalkeeper jerseys have different colors than the rest of the team.