Upscale hotels in Avignon or Orange

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 05:35 PM
Brenda

Upscale hotels in Avignon or Orange

Has anyone stayed at any of the upscale (eg. Relais et Chateaux, Small Luxury Hotels, etc.) hotels in the Avignon or Orange area of Provence? I need to find a really nice, charming hotel with great food that is family friendly. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 01:14 AM
wendy

I like Hotel d'Europe in Avignon...charming refurbished (16th-c?) building full of antiques and friendly staff and management.

I don't have the web address in front of me, but it can be found easily on a web search...

Bonne Chance!

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 08:09 AM
Brenda

Thank you for the suggestion. This is the first posting I've made on Fodors and I'm a little surprised that more people haven't responded. Perhaps I've made a "faux pas" in Fodors etiquette. Is my question not specific enough?

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 09:05 AM
Vicki

I also stayed at the Hotel d'Europe in Avignon and loved it. I highly recommend it.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 10:11 AM
Spanky

We stayed at Les Agassins last April and found it to be lovely. It's not in the walled city, but about 10 minutes by car from town. Lovely gardens, beautiful rooms, country inn-like.

Les Agassins Hotel
52 Ave Charles De Gaulle
Avignon B4130 France
Phone: 011-33-490-32-42-91
Fax: 011-33-490-32-08-29
http://www.avignon-et-provence.com/les-agassins

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 04:47 PM
ldsant

Your posting is fine - welcome to the board! Don't stay in Orange - grossest place of my entire trip to Provence last December. Get out of there. Avignon has some very nice hotels. Eat food outside of the hotel too. Enjoy your trip.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 06:25 PM
Brenda

Thank you to all who have responded. I love this site.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 11:10 PM
Joelle

The Auberge de Noves (10 km south of Avignon) is part of Relais et Chateaux chain and offers nice surroundings, nice rooms and excellent food. It is not a give away but I can recommend this place.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 02:04 AM
Kerry

Here's another vote for Hotel d'Europe. Stayed there in September last year and absolutely loved it. Lovely courtyard for an afternoon drink. The bellboy and front desk manager couldn't have been more friendly. The restaurant is beautiful, starched white linens and faultless service. We were caught at the Hotel for a few days during last year's gas strike and couldn't have picked a better spot to be *stranded*.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 10:33 AM
mimi taylor

I do not drive and as a women travelling alone I wanted to feel safe but be able to get around and yet not stay in a big city. After reading alot I found Villaneurve D'Avignon across the Bridge from Avignon. Somedays I would walk across the bridge just for the exercise. Somedays I enjoyed taking the bus and because the old men of the village sat there everyday and were charming. But my favorite crossing was by boat. My return stop was a beautiful walk back to my beautiful hotel-THE PRIORy( I hope I have spelled it correctly. This hotel was used as a background in the ficticious novel, Mistral's Daughter. I dined one night at the other beautiful hotel The Magnagerie(not sure of the spelling. The beauty of this location was I could take these tour buses that take you to day trips, drop you off and meet later. Met wonderful French people on these jaunts. However, somedays there were no shows, bus never showed up but fortunately, this was just outside the train station. I would look at the board and see where the next train was going. The first time I did this I just hopped on the train thinking I could buy my ticket along the way. While chatting with a young Frenchman the ticket taker was making his rounds. The younger man told me to go to the ladies room because I would be fined to have boarded without a ticket. The other near disaster was my last day. Istayed at the Hotel Europe so I would not miss my train back to Paris. Foolishly I had not doubled checked my ticket. It was mistakenly dated for the next day. Not knowing this I took my seat, but then a frenchman came up to me and said I was in his seat. Isaid I don't think so, showing him My ticket, he then pointed out the date. Now the tickettaker comes(s0-0 charming} takes pity and puts me in an empty seat but warns me if someone has booked it for the next stop I must give up the seat. luck was with me. I hoe thie helps othere on their first trip.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 11:28 AM
joe

I'm sorry but I like Orange.Much fewer tourists , a fabulous Roman arch and theater. A nice little shaded square with restaurants, and close to Chateau Neuf d'Pape.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 10:30 AM
Lori

We stayed at Chateau Rochegude in Orange. We enjoyed the hotel very much, good restaurant, nice wine list. Our room had a great view over the vineyards. Easy access to the autoroute. The hotel has a park with a large swimming pool.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 11:08 AM
Marty

Brenda,

Is there anything special to see in Avignon? We are leaving from Avignon for a week long river cruise up the Rhone and were planning on a couple of days in Nice and taking the train to Avignon the day of the cruise.
I could change it around and stay in Avignon if it makes sense.
Your thoughts?