Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Upon arriving in Italy will we be too tired to take a tour (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/upon-arriving-in-italy-will-we-be-too-tired-to-take-a-tour-886888/)

tonyL64 Apr 16th, 2011 12:00 PM

Upon arriving in Italy will we be too tired to take a tour

We will arrive in Venice at 9:00 ( 3am, my time) do think it would be wise to try and take a tour then or wait until 2:30? We have never flown west to east so I don't know how we will react.Thanks for your help.

HappyTrvlr Apr 16th, 2011 12:03 PM

I would wait until the next day. Instead of a tour, jump on a vaporetto and ride the canals plus walk around neighborhoods. Just keep going at your own pace, staying awake until Venice's nighttime.

gh21 Apr 16th, 2011 12:05 PM

How will you be arriving? If by plane, is 9AM the time your flight arrives or the time you estimate you will arrive at your hotel to drop off luggage? Big difference.

annhig Apr 16th, 2011 12:18 PM

tony,

even if you are spared jet lag, you're bound to be tired and trying to adjust your body clock to european time. so do yourselves a favour and postpone any booked activity, preferably until the next day. have a wander round, jump on a vaporetto, have a nice lunch [you're on holiday, remember] - you won't go short of things to do.

what tour are you thinking of doing?

Sassafrass Apr 16th, 2011 12:22 PM

It is so much fun to simply walk around in Venice, and ride a vaporetto, I would do that the first day.

J62 Apr 16th, 2011 12:28 PM

I wouldn't take an organized tour of Venice regardless of the day. And definitely not on the day of arrival after a red-eye flight.

Lexma90 Apr 16th, 2011 03:57 PM

On the arrival day, if you want to take a tour, definitely plan for the 2:30 tour, so allow for potential flight delays, etc. And only if it's a walking tour. What you really want to be doing that first day is to keep on moving, preferably outside, in the sunshine. It well help your body adjust.

For that reason, I wouldn't suggest many sitting-down activities, such as vaporetto or gondola rides. Just a way to help you fall asleep!

zeppole Apr 16th, 2011 04:23 PM

I'd rather take a nap.

tonyL64 Apr 16th, 2011 04:45 PM

Gh21 - we will arrive at 9:00 by plane from USA at Marco Polo. Annhig,we are thinking of the" Venice for beginners "tour from walksinvenice.com. We could take it the next day,Sunday, if we choose. Does this seem like a worthwhile tour since it covers all the major sights we would see on our own anyway?Tell me what you think.

ellenem Apr 16th, 2011 05:00 PM

At 60€ per person, this tour seems expensive to me for what is featured.

tonyL64 Apr 16th, 2011 06:34 PM

ellenem, the price for a private tour is 225euros for all 7 of us.Does that seem too much for what it is?

CYESQ Apr 17th, 2011 12:55 AM

Frankly, I think 225 is a good price for a private tour for 7 people and if it's a private tour, I presume that you can ask for whatever time you want. It's going to be 11 by the time you get out of the airport and checked into your hotel. Then it's time to enjoy lunch.

I think the 3 hour tour on your first day is a good idea and it will get you aquainted with the city so that you can spend the rest of your time somewhat knowledgeable about where you are. If you can plan it just after lunch, this keeps you up and running the rest of the day. I like to keep in motion my first day on the ground until the evening. Then I crash, get a good night's sleep and am recharged for the next day. Would never consider a nap as it throws my whole clock off. But we're all different.

Ackislander Apr 17th, 2011 03:07 AM

At best, you will need about two hours to deplane, use the toilet, go through immigration, get transportation to the city, find your hotel, check into your hotel, wash your face, etc.

At some seasons, Venice is also subject to fog, and your plane may be late.

This is an example of overscheduling that might get you into a really stressful experience. If you want to take the tour, take it the next day. You won't remember much of it if you are exhausted from your flight.

annhig Apr 17th, 2011 04:48 AM

Tony - is this the one?

http://www.walksinsidevenice.com/#/venice/DBeginn/

i have to say that I as a bit taken aback by the price at first - €225 - for 3 hours seemed a bit steep, but if there are 7 of you, that's about €31 each, so not too bad. also it must be quite a walk if it takes 3 hours to get from San marco to the rialto - a walk of about 20 mins!

but i would definitely NOT want to do it on the day of arrival - when you get there, take time to check in, take a vaporetto [or two] have a nice lunch, wander a bit more, have some spritz and cichetti, or a gelato, and don't WHATEVER you do, walk from san marco to the Rialto!!

tonyL64 Apr 17th, 2011 06:28 AM

Thanks so much for all of your insight. It looks like "keep moving" is winning over "take a nap".Being from the home of the Kentucky Derby I will take as my"sure thing"tip. Ann, yes that is the tour. We will arrive on June 4th so hopefully the weather will suitable for a stroll. Were you being facetious about not walking from San Marco to the Rialto? Our apt is at the San Silvestre water stop so we are very near the Rialto.
If anyone could tell me what to expect the second day from a jet-lag perspective I would appreciate it. Just how you feel.That is, sleep wise that next day.Thanks again from all of you veteran travelers,you all have been very helpful these past months in helping us plan this soon to be here trip.

ellenem Apr 17th, 2011 06:41 AM

Annhig's comment about the walk is that your tour must be circuitous for it to take 3 hours to cover this short distance. (I could walk from San Marco to Rialto in 10 minutes--crowded walkways might cause the walk to take more time.)

Jet lag varies from person to person. Jet lag might attack you for days, though for me I usually feel sleepy if we sit still for too long. Also keep in mind that you may just be more tired than usual on vacation because you may be walking more than usual. Whether it's jet lag, extra exercise, or an unfamiliar bed, you may find your sleep pattern altered.

I am not a good napper, but when I travel in Italy, my companions and I usually spend the day out and about, returning to the hotel at about 5PM to refresh, relax, and nap for no more than 45 minutes. (A longer nap would hinder the ability to sleep overnight.) Then we're ready to head out in search of dinner and evenings activities soon at 7-8PM.

TDudette Apr 17th, 2011 06:57 AM

As already mentioned, everyone's reaction to jet leg is different.

For DH and me, adrenalin kept us going the first day until about 7 or 8 o'clock. If you tour guide is flexible, I'd try to take the tour that first day.

Please report back about your trip.

alihutch Apr 17th, 2011 10:07 AM

I usually sleep for no more than 2 hours then head out and potter about, eat dinner and go to bed.

HappyTrvlr Apr 17th, 2011 10:31 AM

When I travel to Europe, I deal with a nine hours time change. I stay up on arrival day as I mentioned in my first post. The second day I am adjusted to the time and have no more jet lag. Sometimes we fly to the east coast, stay overnight, and get rid of three hours of the time change.

scrb11 Apr 17th, 2011 10:37 AM

First time I went to Europe, the impulse was to sleep, because it's a 9-hour time difference and I usually don't sleep well on the plane.

But you're better off trying to stay up and going to sleep at local time, which may be after a late dinner.

Plus, arriving at 9 AM leaves you almost a full day so don't waste it. Maybe not do an organized activity but get a map and walk around.

Probably better to get a pass for the vaporetto and take advantage of it.