Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Uploading photos to the internet - France

Dec 28th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Hi there -
When in France next spring, we are bringing our DSLR camera, but don't plan on bringing a laptop. I'd like to be able to upload photos to store on the internet (we currently keep photos on kodakgallery). Any suggestions of where we might be able to do this? I am not a internet cafe user currently but I imagine they are geared towards surfing and not uploading. If this isn't possible, any other thoughts/suggestions on how to manage / backup photos?

thanks!
Dec 28th, 2008, 12:06 PM

If the computer has a USB port, you could get a reader for your card that will plug into it and upload the photos directly to the website.

Whatever you do, you don't want to upload the photos onto the hard drive of the computer - unless you don't mind giving away your vacation photos.

Flickr is free (up to 200 photos, otherwise 25 bucks a year) and pretty easy to use, that may be a good place to put them too.
Dec 28th, 2008, 02:32 PM

If you upload to Kodak or any other site, don't delete your memory cards. I prefer to keep an original set on a CD/DVD in addition to whereever I park photos to order prints (or just to display online).

How many pix do you think you'll take? As comparison, I have 2GB card, took over 500 photos (maybe at slightly less than the full file choice) and didn't fill the card up. Just take multiple (smaller) cards and change them out along the way if you're worried about having all your images saved to one card.
Dec 28th, 2008, 02:37 PM

One other thing to keep in mind re: Kodak...

Unless they have changed recently, when you upload the photo there I don't believe you can re-download the jpeg from that site, to your own computer. Flickr on the other hand (and smugmug, etc.) will allow you to do this.

As travelnut said, definitely don't delete photos from your card. Take more cards. Memory is cheap these days...
Dec 28th, 2008, 04:34 PM

In an internet cafe, you should have unrestricted access to a webmail account. gmail.com allows you to store 7 gigabytes of data, so all you have to do is to send emails to your account with the photos included as file attachments.
Dec 29th, 2008, 05:15 AM

This past Sept. I paid about $8US to have a photo store download the memory card into a DVD.
Dec 29th, 2008, 07:13 AM

I'd just buy some more memory cards and wait until you get home. If you are shooting jpegs then you want to mess with them as little as possible before you get to editing them. If you are shooting RAW the chances are a photo site won't accept them. It also saves hunting for an internet café or whatever.
Memory cards don't cost much nowadays and you could get a few 2 gig cards to use. Make sure you put the write protect on them once they are full though!
Dec 29th, 2008, 01:02 PM

And if you DO download your camera memory to another medium, PLEASE be sure you test the new copy to make sure it can be read before erasing the camera.
Dec 29th, 2008, 02:11 PM

We went to a photo processing store and had DVD's made as we went, as well as downloaded them to my son's laptop. We were concerned with filling up the 2G card so we prepared two ways in case we had to delete any from the memory card. It turned out to be a good thing, as son's computer crashed once we got home, but the DVD was still good. BTW, we took 239 photos before the camera was full.

With all that said, by an extra memory card, given the cost of such things, it is a cheap investment to ensure that you don't lose any of the photos . . . but I'm a belt and suspenders type.
Dec 30th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your replies! apersuader65 I am very much talking about belt and suspenders The thought was to bring plenty of memory cards, but they seem so small and losable/vulnerable! I am really looking more for a backup to the memory cards rather then a "freeing up the memory cards" kind of option.

Robespierre - sounds like a good thought on e-mailing photos to yourself, but (internet cafe novice that I am) wouldn't that still involve having the kind of access at the cafe to be able to upload?

And to all, sounds like the backup to DVD at a photo store sounds like a more sensible backup option then using the internet.

Any particular store in Paris (and other areas of France) that I should look for?

thanks again!
Dec 30th, 2008, 05:28 AM

You could buy a case for your memory cards. It will keep them safe and reduce the risk of damage or loss. keep it in your camera bag. Some camera bags have slots built in to them also.
Lowepro, Pelikan and lots of others make them - any good camera store will have them or try Amazon, Ritz or B&H online.
As I said if you are shooting Jpegs then you need to reduce the amount of uploading/downloading/opening/closing of them to an absolute minimum as jpeg is a lossy compression and you will quickly begin to lose detail.

Make sure you always reformat your cards, in camera, once you have emptied the photos from them - it prolongs the life of the card dramatically.
Dec 30th, 2008, 08:10 AM

>>>
The thought was to bring plenty of memory cards, but they seem so small and losable/vulnerable! I am really looking more for a backup to the memory cards rather then a "freeing up the memory cards" kind of option.
<<<

And then you think you'll back things up at photo stores onto DVD? Makes no sense at all to me... you are MUCH better off having spare memory cards. DVDs are much more bulky and can be more easily damaged than an SD card.

SD and other forms of flash memory are incredibly cheap these days... this is really the way you should go.

Here's another option I don't believe was mentioned. Take a USB thumb drive or 2 with you. Stop at an internet cafe and connect your camera to the computer via USB and transfer the photos to the thumb drive. Again, inexpensive to buy and much preferable to having DVDs burned.

I have used upload sites in the past but depending on the size and number of photos and connection speed of the computer this can be quite time consuming. It was no problem for me as I could leave my laptop uploading in an apartment while we went out but I wouldn't want to spend time in an internet cafe waiting for pics to upload...

Rob
Dec 30th, 2008, 08:18 AM

>> And to all, sounds like the backup to DVD at a photo store sounds like a more sensible backup option then using the internet.

Any particular store in Paris (and other areas of France) that I should look for? <<

In my case I kept looking and asking. I wound up at store #3.
Dec 30th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Sorry ParisAmsterdam if I made no sense. I posed the question because it was something I didn't know and I am looking for insight from those who do. And my apologies if my question isn't clear I am not really looking to offload the memory cards in order to re-use them, but rather to "protect" the images on the memory card by making a copy.

I hadn't thought that you could access the USB port on a computer at an internet cafe (but like I said I don't use them - just our library where you can't ) Absolutely agree if that is possible, then that seems like the simplest way to make a backup.

I just haven't travelled with 'digital' before. I know that film would have previously represented a 'single point of failure' for my images, but it seems more tanglible then the digital image

Buckeye - sorry I didn't under stand you response - are you refering to a specific store, or just saying keep asking until I find one.

thanks again
Dec 30th, 2008, 12:37 PM

I do not have the store name, I was able to download to a DVD at the 3rd store I contacted.
Dec 30th, 2008, 09:36 PM

There's nothing to be sorry about and I did not mean to be rude... it's just that there are small, reliable and incredibly inexpensive memory cards that are most likely more secure, less prone to damage and more portable than DVDs.

Any internet cafe I have ever used had computers with USB ports that worked. I really can't think of a handier, safer or more convenient way of backing up your pics without a laptop.

You'll need either a USB card reader or the cord for your camera to connect to a
computer USB. And a thumb drive or USB stick...

Just to confuse things... there are also portable digital storage devices that don't require a computer:

http://tinyurl.com/a3ufu8

Rob
Dec 31st, 2008, 05:41 AM

Author: Canada_V
Date: 12/30/2008, 08:46 am

Robespierre - sounds like a good thought on e-mailing photos to yourself, but (internet cafe novice that I am) wouldn't that still involve having the kind of access at the cafe to be able to upload?

And to all, sounds like the backup to DVD at a photo store sounds like a more sensible backup option then using the internet.

You don't know anything about what one can do at internet cafés, but you think DVD is better? Okay, sounds like you don't need facts.
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your replies!

ParisAmsterdam aka Rob - those portable digital storage devices were something I didn't know about and actually look like they may be the exact thing I am looking for to backup my photos while travelling. Thanks very much! I think that is the answer I was looking for and my question wasn't quite right. Thanks again

Robespierre - not sure how to interpret your post - almost sounds like you are picking a fight though I'm sure you aren't...

Thanks again to everyone for their assistance with my question!