Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Upgradeable Seats to Italy:More on Delta or American?

Jul 25th, 2001, 12:21 PM
Judy

We seem to have amassed enough for one upgrade to Business Class on two different airlines, American and Delta. We need to make a choice as to where to accrue future miles. Does anyone know which airline has more upgradeable (to Business Class) seats to Italy?

Jul 25th, 2001, 12:33 PM
Mariarosa

Hi Judy! I really don't have a clue which one has more seats, but I'm curious about what would the airlines themselves respond if you call and ask them this question? Something else that you should factor in is whether they will upgrade an "upgradeable" fare or any coach fare - all airlines have some restrictions regarding what fare one must purchase to upgrade with FF miles, but I think some are far more lenient than others. Just make sure to check the different policies!

Jul 25th, 2001, 12:34 PM
dale

from monitoring flyertalk.com for a while, aa allows upgrades from any coach ticket, whereas dl limits upgrades to certain (higher cost) tickets. of course, my ff miles are with dl. ciao.

Jul 25th, 2001, 12:45 PM
Ed

Don't know specifics of either program, and the more important question is probably the base fares against which upgrades may be used.

As far as available seats for upgrade? Quite likely to be DL overall, but issues like that will vary greatly by route. Generally routes from US to Italy tend to be more vacation oriented than business so likelihood is more seats available for upgrade on any carrier to Italy, as opposed to flights to, for example, Frankfurt.

twenj

Jul 25th, 2001, 05:21 PM
Judy

Thanks, all. You all referred to a question I hadn't even thought of (and Dale even had the specifics). I called Delta. The agent told me that Delta upgrades only from the more expensive coach fares, costing $1200-$1600, instead of the economy coach fares of $700 or so. As for the number of seats, Delta flies to Venice as well as to Milan and to Rome, and they make more money on the seats, so they probably have more seats.
Glad I asked (and grateful that you answered).

Jul 26th, 2001, 03:16 AM
Robin

As a former TA, I guess I'm good for something!.........

Unless they've changed within the last year or so, Delta upgrades Q class and higher for an upgradeable fare.

If I remember correctly the classes on Delta go as follows from highest to lowest ....

Y-full fare coach
B
M
Q
K
L - least expensive coach ticket

Hope this helps you!

Jul 26th, 2001, 06:49 AM
dale

fyi, i took the nonstop jfk-vce last february. it is far better than going through cdg! again, from monitoring flyertalk.com, i now know what seats are best in tourist (i have legroom problem) in the dl 767. email me for details. ciao.