Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Update on March 06 "free" Ireland trip. Still need help!

Oct 13th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Had posted earlier about brother-in-law flying us to Ireland for a week to surprise my husband's sister on their 30th anniversary.

Based on prior advice, have set up a tentative plan.

Arriving am on 3/25/06, staying at the Kilhoran bed and breakfast in Dublin. Will Spend day sightseeing using HopOn/Hop/Off bus. Picking out 3 to 4 stops, for sure want to see Book of Kells, take Guiness tour but haven't decided on others - will see what catches our eye. (Probably crash in afternoon for nap and on to the pub crawl- can just hear the toes tapping and Guiness flowing!)

Again, based on these boards not getting car until ready to leave so picking up rental from Hertz 9:00 am next morning (Sun.) and heading out to Kilkenny. Confirmed at the Hilgrove bed and breakfast for the 26th.

By the way, after searching car rental topics, found out all insurance will be covered by our MasterCard Platinum -Wow what a savings! Thank you!

On to Waterford next day, touring the crystal factory, taking in sights and leaving in the afternoon to head towards Cork airport. Want to spend the night closeby as meeting our relatives flight next morning at 8:30 am!

Was going to stay at the Blarney Vale B&B on the 27th but due to remodeling, nothing available. I picked Blarney because it was close to the airport but do not have to stay there, especially since not a favorite town here on the boards. Any suggestions on other B&B with good location and quick access to airport?

After suprising sister-in-law (arranged by her husband)at airport, we travel on to Dingle. Will be staying at Gorman's Cliff House for one night (28th).

Moving on to Galway for the sights. Confirmed at Ross B&B for 2 nights. Will have two days to take in the sights. Thrilled to take in the Cliffs of Mohr and other coastline scenery!

Trip comes to an end with our flight out of Shannon on 4/1 so will be staying in Bunratty at Bunratty Meadows B&B the night before. To celebrate our last night, will be attending the Bunratty Mediaeval Banquet.

So What do you think? Would appreciate your help again!

1) What would be the best way to get to Kilhoran B&B from Dublin airport since we will not have a car until the next day?

2) Still need accomodations between Waterford and Cork airport. (Not up to kissing the Blarney stone - after reviews here!) Help!

3)Do these plans sound reasonable or am I crazy? Moving frequently doesn't bother us and the mileage doesn't look too bad from place to place. Any comments on chosen accomodations?

Sorry this is so long but need all the help I can get and you have been great so far!
Oct 13th, 2005, 04:11 PM
ron

My only comment is that you seem to be very religious in taking the advice on this board. Remember, this is YOUR holiday, not you taking OUR holiday. If I wanted to kiss the blarney stone, which I have done (and it didn't work), you should do it, irrespective of what we sophisticates think.
Oct 13th, 2005, 09:34 PM

Lvtotravel-I wholeheartedly agree with Ron...and further, sophistication does not impress me anyway. What does impress me is seeing people's excitement at doing what they may have heard about most of their lives...and just experiencing Ireland and the beauty and generosity of the Irish people.
In 2001 my husband and I brought 8 friends to Ireland (and London and Paris) and one of the most important things to them was kissing the blarney stone. Its actually a very pretty spot and we all had a fun time there...we got a great group picture at the top too. Sorry, did not mean to "go on and on" but, I wanted to put in my .2.
I also wanted to say that I leave for Dublin this Sunday (with 2 friends) and we'll get a taxi to our guesthouse and then a few days later another taxi to get to airport to rent car.
What fun you will have surprising your sister-in-law (I love surprises!).
Enjoy this planning time..its part of the fun!
Shadow
Oct 14th, 2005, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Hello Ron and Shadow,
Appreciate your comments. Guess I have been a slave to these boards. On top of never going to Europe, I have never booked all my arrangements myself over the internet.

Guess I just need encouragement that I have planned well. Think we will still stay in Blarney somewhere. Would be interested in seeing the woolen factory there as well as the castle and Blarney stone.

I don't know why I worry - I have never ever heard of anyone who didn't love their trip!

Top of the Mornin to ya!
Oct 14th, 2005, 06:00 AM

Lvtotravel: I enjoyed walking around the grounds of Blarney Castle and stayed in a nice hotel that is connected to the woolen mill. A very nice visit. I know you will enjoy your trip. Joan