Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Update 50th birthday - Treat me like a Princess

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Vicky

Awhile back I asked for opinions on celebrating my 50th birthday by going somewhere new or to my favorite place(London). I WILL be going to several new places over this year - Ashland, Oregon in July, Siena and San Gim in October but for my birthday celebration in November - LONDON. I want to stay at a fab hotel, shop, see theatre, and drink Dom Perignon. Not sure yet if I will do this alone or with a friend but I will definitely pay for hotel. Thinking of Dorchester, Connaught, Savoy, Sheraton Park Lan, Browns. Any thoughts where I will be treated like a princess even tho I'm an ordinary woman?

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Laurie

Vicky-Since no one else has jumped in, I'll say the only one of these I've stayed in is the Dorchester but that was 10 years ago. The rooms are great, the bathrooms are fabulous & I was always treated well, though not like a princess, despite having my wedding reception there. It is (or was) popular with wealthy Arabs (you'll see orange arrows on the ceilings of the rooms that point to Mecca). Also popular at that time with celebrities but I think they may have moved on to some of the trendier newer boutique hotels. Have been to the Savoy for tea (very posh) & to see their rooms for parties. It seemed a bit in need of renovation then, but maybe that's been done. I would choose the Connaught, all things being equal(which they never are). One suggestion-it would be a shame to have to pay the rack rate. Check out www.Luxurylink.com & see if there are any good offers for your dates. That could help you decide. Happy 50th!

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 02:43 PM
Nan

Vicky, when I turned 50 a few years ago I wanted to do something unusual too, so I hiked the high path along the coast on Kauai, Hawaii. Try to do something you wouldn't usually do to mark the second half of your life (besides going to London). Do something daring that all your life you thought, oh no I would be too (whatever).
Have fun!

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 07:15 PM
Julie

I went to Paris for my 50th (and Venice, Florence & Nice). Have been to London and IMO think Paris, Venice, Florence, or Nice are much more appealing. Of course everyone's different, but since you've been to London already, why not try someplace new?

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 08:11 AM
Nick

For location - check out Mandarin Hyde Park Hotel - get a room over looking Hyde Park at the back - nice and quiet where all the other hotels you mention are on streets (Connaught quiet) where room irrespective of double glazing may be a bit noisy and maybe you want to open the window as well -Dorchester very noisy. I think Mandarin was done up relatively recently as Mandarin group took over management not that long ago. Connaught still gets incredibly high rep - very old fashioned class hotel.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 11:11 AM
Bob

If you enjoy London go for it! I wanted to be in Bavaria drinking great German beer when I turned 50. Did not need anything "new" just something I knew I would enjoy. It was great! Then I get back to doing the new stuff.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 11:22 AM
Patrick

If you want the people at the hotel to treat you special, I think your choices are mostly too big and too impersonal. How about Claridges? Or One Aldwych? Or Duke's? Or 21 Jermyn?

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 11:42 AM
xxx

I believe Partick's keyboard meant to type "22 Jermyn" instead of 21.
22 Jermyn is a wonderful London boutique hotel.
If you allow it to be known that you are indeed a princess incognito , I am sure that you will be pampered and fete-ed at 22. )

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 04:51 AM
Vicky

Thanks for your ideas. Originally I thought i'd go to Egypt for my 50th birthday - an expensive trip I thought deserved a special occasion. But I tend to go wherever my 'passion' of the moment takes me. I have a list - currently 23 different trips - that I want to take. But each time i go to a familiar place, I get more adventurous and get deeper into it. AFter 4 trips to London, there are still things I haven't done - the V and A Museum. British Museum, and neighborhoods to explore. I don't actually need to be treated like a Princess - just have beautiful surroundings and be treated like they treat you in First Class ont he planes. I have flown First domestic but not yet international - would love to do THAT for the 50th trip but dont' quite have enough miles for upgrade... Keep your hotel ideas coming. Thanks

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 05:14 AM
Patrick

OOOps. Yes I did mean 22 Jermyn. 21 would be across the street and probably one of those menswear shops. Thanks for blaming it on my keyboard, xxx.

Clients of mine used to stay at the Claridges and have stayed at The Connaught and Lanesborough. They now swear by the tiny 22 Jermyn, and they are treated royally every time they return.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 07:02 AM
Camilla Parker-Bowles, next Queen of England

Maybe you should treat yourself like Lady Diana Spencer, Princess of Wales. Did you hear about Lady Die on the radio last night? and the dashboard, and the windshield, and the glove compartment....