Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Upcoming trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/upcoming-trip-971093/)

Knut1961 Mar 19th, 2013 11:35 AM

Upcoming trip

I would like some travel advice.

We have 7 days in Italy in early July. We are flying into Rome for 3 days to begin. We want to go to Lake Como and spend maybe 1 or 2 days there. Not interested in Milan, Venice.

Maybe interested in Cinque Terre, Bologna, Umbria, Tuscany. We will be flying to Mykonos once done in Italy. I think we will travel by train, so anyone have any good routes from Rome, and then after Lake Como area should be fly out of Milan or where/

Michael Mar 19th, 2013 11:41 AM

7 days, with 3 days in Rome, 2 days around Lake Como plus one day to travel between Rome and Lake Como leaves one day which probably will be used up going to the airport that will take you back home. Forget the other locations you mention.

jent103 Mar 19th, 2013 01:13 PM

Agreed with Michael. I'm going on the assumption you're from North America simply because the majority of posters here are, so I'm guessing this is the likely itinerary:

Day 0 - leave US
Day 1 - land in Rome (jet lagged)
Days 2-4 - Rome
Day 5 - travel to Lake Como
Day 6 - Lake Como
Day 7 - Lake Como/travel to Milan (make sure you know the train schedule - we barely missed one train from Varenna and had to wait two hours for the next one)
Day 8 - fly home from Milan

Knut1961 Mar 19th, 2013 01:22 PM

Not the itinerary. We are coming in from Athens, Greece. I am from North America, but we will not be jet lagged in the least bit. We will land in Rome early Day 1, spend 3 days in Rome, then we travel from there.

Not sure about 1 or 2 days in Como. We are flying to Mykonos, not home from somewhere in Northern Italy, maybe Milan.

bobthenavigator Mar 19th, 2013 01:42 PM

Makes no sense--why fly back to Greece?

msteacher Mar 19th, 2013 01:57 PM

Yes, the easiest airport from Como is Milan. In seven days, Rome and Lake Como make a lovely combination, so my suggestion would be to stick with that. but if you wanted to squeeze in one more destination, I would suggest one night in Bologna or Florence, as they will be relatively easy to reach by train. (You would want to have.a car for Tuscany or Umbria.) Not sure if there are flights to Mykonos from these cities, but it should work nicely for you if there are. If not, you might want to sandwich this stop between Rome and Como, and fly from Milan.

jent103 Mar 19th, 2013 02:05 PM

No jet lag is great. But that just gives you one other day - not really enough to add anything else unless it's an overnight as msteacher suggests. And there's plenty to do in Rome - you might want more than 2.5 days there.

Knut1961 Mar 19th, 2013 03:34 PM

Why fly back to Greece? Well, because we are going to spend another few days in the Greek Islands. Fiance is Greek, so she wants to spend about a week in Italy and 3-4 days in Islands after Italy. We are flying back to U.S. from Athens after islands.

Knut1961 Mar 19th, 2013 03:39 PM

O.k., sounds like maybe Rome 3 days, leave early 4th day, train from Rome to Bologna, spend an afternoon/night there, then train out to Milan/Lake Como day 5, 2 days Lake Como. I think I will make this 8 days and fly out of Milan day 8 and cut out a day of Greek Islands.