Reload this Page >

Paris, Rome or Florence at Christmas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 11:45 AM
Jan

Which would you recommend for a one week trip during Christmas? Thanks in advance.

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 03:51 AM
yuletide

Hi, <BR> <BR>I don't know about the other cities, but Florence is probably not where you want to be if you are looking for old world charm and festivites. Don't get me wrong, I've lived here for 5 years and wouldn't dream of being anywhere else, but the holdiays aren't what they used to be here. Each year they have been doing less and less, last year not even decorating most of the main streets--my husband (who's a native) remarked that it was the most pathetic display he'd ever remembered in his 40 years. They issue a brochure every year called "Christmas in Florence" which is a joke, mostly advertising for tourists wanting to go shopping. If the Christmas scene is not what you are looking for and just want a beautiful city to enjoy duing the off-season, they I reverse everything and say come to Florence!!

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 02:18 PM
Mika

the best Christmas decoration in Europe is in Strassbourg.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 02:25 PM
Book Chick

Jan, <BR>If this will help you make up your mind at all, warmer weather will probably be in Rome. It might be rainy/wet in Paris or Rome. A certain number of people travel from all over to get to Rome for Christmas Eve Mass at the Vatican, so just for a couple of days there, it could be pretty crowded. <BR> <BR>"Yuletide" is right; not much going on in Florence at Christmas. <BR>BC

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 02:34 PM
Xmaslover

I love Paris, but it can be cold and rainy in Decemeber. Rome will likely be warmer and is an incredible city. If I had to pick I'd pick Rome.