Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   up and down the spanish steps? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/up-and-down-the-spanish-steps-260131/)

jay Sep 22nd, 2002 04:25 PM

up and down the spanish steps?

ON my coming holiday to ROme i have booked in the de la ville intercon that is on top of the spanish steps. My question is will i have to go up and down the spanish steps everytime i want to go out? how about if i am just planning to go for a meal? any other hotels close by that would be be around 300$?

FitasaFiddle Sep 22nd, 2002 05:04 PM

Come on. When in Rome, do as the Romans... The Steps are not that bad. And after a meal of pasta, etc., it will probably do you good! I have heard (but have never seen) that there is an elevator...<BR><BR>Don't worry about it. Just enjoy your trip!

sstone Sep 22nd, 2002 06:21 PM

I believe there are streets running at the top of the steps as well as at the bottom, it would depend on where you are going as to whether you need to go up or down the steps. Get a map and look.

noyou Sep 22nd, 2002 06:28 PM

I admit I went down the stepsbut never up!As mentioned,just turn left out of the Intercontinental and then the first right and right again and you'll be on the same street that is at the bottom of the steps.Anyway the steps in the evening were too crowded to make up the stairs!

M Sep 22nd, 2002 06:33 PM

Jay,<BR><BR>As mentioned, it is not necessary to go down the steps every time you leave the hotel. If, however, you would prefer to be at the bottom of the steps, there is a good, four star hotel on Via Bocca di Leone (which is two short blocks from the foot of the steps), called D'Inghilterra. Some rooms are small, but for $300 for a double you would probably be able to get a deluxe double. The hotel used to be the guest house of the Italian princes, and the location is perfect. I have stayed there four or five times. Some rooms do tend to be noisy, so you might want to ask for a room that is not overlooking one of the busier streets.<BR><BR>M

Melissa Sep 22nd, 2002 10:11 PM

Via Condotti, a very popular street, runs right into the top of the Spanish Steps. It will bring you up by Piazza Barberini and close by Via Veneto. The top of the steps are not the ends of the earth. It is not as if the Spanish embassy was perched upon a lone hill with a backyard. And if you are going on Rome plan on doing a lot of climbing. The whole city is built on hills. Be less concerned with climbing stairs, and more concerned with how great a location the spanish steps are in Rome.

Surlok Sep 22nd, 2002 10:50 PM

The Steps won't be a problem, there is an elevator serving the etro that you can use to go up and down.

aj Sep 23rd, 2002 06:15 AM

Unless you have a health problem it is a wonderful thing to up and down the Spanish Steps! The church at the top is wonderful be sure and check it out! I would gladly trade you my setting all day in a chair at work to going up and down the Spanish Steps for a week!

julia Sep 23rd, 2002 06:26 AM

We stayed in the Intercontinental last May. The hotel is lovely, but be picky about the room. They are quite different. Yes, you have to go up and down the step, because everything is “down.” But it could be a problem only if you have knees or other health problems, or (like me) tend to forget staff in the hotel and have to go back.