Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Unusual Scottish Entertainment! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/unusual-scottish-entertainment-103053/)

Kathleen Jan 30th, 2001 11:41 AM

Unusual Scottish Entertainment!

I have looked through the postings and come up with a fabulous list of things to see and do in Scotland, when I visit there in August. However, I'm still looking for the unusual. I have heard of ancient sewer tours and places where you can dine as if you where attending a wedding feast in a castle in the 1600's. My interests lean toward reliving history and I am hoping to catch a small town Highland Festival, any info on when and where to find these things? PLEASE HELP!

Sheila Jan 30th, 2001 12:20 PM

Kathleen <BR> <BR>I've never heard of sewer tours in the UK, but who knows? If you find them could you let us know. There is a lot to do underground in Scotland, and I thought there was a thread on it in here already, but I can't find it. <BR> <BR>For dinners in castles try www.scotland-info.co.uk. <BR> <BR>If by a Highland Festival you mean a Highland Games your choice in August is:- <BR> <BR>AUGUST 3 (Friday) DORNOCH HIGHLAND GATHERING <BR>AUGUST 4 (Saturday) ABOYNE HIGHLAND GAMES <BR>AUGUST 4 (Saturday) BRODICK (Arran ) HIGHLAND GAMES <BR>AUGUST 4 (Saturday) INVERKEITHING HIGHLAND GAMES <BR>AUGUST 5 (Sunday) BRIDGE OF ALLAN HIGHLAND GAMES <BR>AUGUST 5 (Sunday) CAITHNESS HIGHLAND GAM4ES (John o` Groats) <BR>AUGUST 5 (Sunday) MONTROSE HIGHLAND GAMES <BR>AUGUST 8 (Wednesday) SKYE HIGHLAND GAMES <BR>AUGUST 9 (Thursday) BALLATER HIGHLAND GAMES <BR>AUGUST 9 (Thursday) GLENMORANGIE TAIN HIGHLAND GATHERING <BR>AIGUST 10 (Friday) ASSYNT HIGHLAND GAMES <BR>AUGUST 11 (Saturday) STRATHPEFFER HIGHLAND GATHERING <BR>AUGUST 11 (Saturday) MOREBATTLE BORDER GAMES <BR>AUGUST 11 (Saturday) ATHOLL & BREADALBANE HIGHLAND GATHERING HR-H-TW-AUGUST 12 (Sunday) PERTH HIGHLAND GAMES <BR>AUGUST 18 (Saturday) HELMSDALE HIGHLAND GAMES <BR>AUGUST 19 (Sunday) CRIEFF HIGHLAND GATHERING <BR>AUGUST 23 (Thursday) ARGYLLSHIRE GATHERING (Oban) <BR>AUGUST 25 (Saturday) INVERGORDON HIGHLAND GAMES <BR>AUGUST 25 (Saturday) LONACH HIGHLAND GAMES <BR>AUGUST 25 (Saturday) BIRNAM HIGHLAND GAMES <BR>AUGUST 26 (Sunday) GRANTOWN ON SPEY HIGHLAND GAMES <BR> <BR>There are 2 others but they're both in England. <BR> <BR>In days gone by I would have recommended the Lonach, but since Billy Connolly bought the big house, it's very full of both celebs and celeb spotters. <BR> <BR>Where do you mean to be that fits with that? <BR>

Sarah Jan 30th, 2001 12:27 PM

I think there's a ghost tour in Edinburgh hosted by Witches and Witchery.

John Jan 30th, 2001 12:48 PM

Don't forget the Edinburgh Festival is in full swing in most of August, and believe me, there's plenty of unusual entertainment available during that time. Most years, a lot of it will fill in nicely for a sewer tour, content-wise.

Richard Jan 30th, 2001 12:58 PM

I think when we visited Eilean Donan they spoke of "feasts" for hire. This was back in the mid-90's, it may have changed.

Tony Hughes Jan 30th, 2001 01:05 PM

I do a sewer tour, Kathleen. Only seventy-five hundred dollars for as many people as are in your party. You even get a plaid hat as a souvenir. Email Sheila for details, she recommends it.

elvira Jan 30th, 2001 01:22 PM

Tony: does the tour include lunch? That haggis-in-a-tube stuff and Aba Ibn to drink? I assume you dress up in a kilt and play the bagpipe for us. Can we get an autographed picture of Mel Gibson for a slightly higher fee?

turdlover Jan 30th, 2001 02:28 PM

Hey Tony, <BR> <BR>Are you short and hairy? I have a friend that went on one of those tours and came home not with a hat souvenir, but with a bag 'o sh-t. Does you tour cost more to get the bag? I mean, this is real old stuff, probably goes back to our ancestors and has to be worth a lot.

rand Jan 30th, 2001 02:37 PM

I searched yahoo/rec/travel and the only sewer tour it found was in Oakland. It includes a formal dinner. All the more to upchuck.