Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

University visit this fall, critique itinerary please

Old Feb 28th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm hoping to tap into the knowledge here. My daughter is interested in attending university in England, and we've narrowed down her top three choices (understanding, of course, that they may change and will depend a lot on scholarships and general finances).

We've been to England before, so this will be less of a touristy trip and more of a "business" trip -- definitely budget-minded. We're used to traveling by backpack and staying in hostels ... nothing fancy needed, we'd rather put that money toward her education later.

Thoughts on this schedule, then? It is a bit of zig-zagging, but train travel is less money (and often less time) than the open-jawed flights I checked into.

Day 1 (Sun): depart pm
Day 2 (Mon): arrive LHR am/settle into hostel
Day 3 (Tue): train up to Leeds/settle into hotel
Day 4 (Wed): uni visit #1 in Leeds
Day 5 (Thu): uni visit #2 in Huddersfield
Day 6 (Fri): unscheduled
Day 7 (Sat): train back to London/settle into hostel (same hostel as before)
Day 8 (Sun): uni visit #3 just north of London
Day 9 (Mon): unscheduled
Day 10 (Tue): depart LHR am

Many thanks for your feedback.
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 07:56 PM

Have you thought of flying in to Manchester and take the train to Leeds and then to Huddersfield? Then either train,rent a car or take one of the discount carriers from Manchester back to London? It would be an open jaw ticket and would save alot of time and energy.(I just had a Manchester layover last week and did a train trip to Leeds for the day-very easy and close.)
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 08:03 PM

Both of my kids have done graduate school in the UK and currently live over there. Do have a PLAN B here in the states just in case as you usually have to wait later in the UK than a US school to know of your acceptance.
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 11:16 PM

Looks fine to me. I work in Leeds (very vibrant, lively city) and, assuming that your Uni visits won't take all day, there is plenty to see and do if you do have some 'tourist' time.
Day 6 could be a day trip to York from Leeds (quick, direct trains). Beautiful city and good University too!
Old Mar 1st, 2014, 02:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm based near Leeds to and I'm struggling with anyone going to Huddersfield (for anything).

Both Leeds universities are in North Leeds, you will find that one is easily walkable but both can need the bus to get around.
http://www.transportdirect.info/Web2...epeatingloop=Y

Driving in Leeds requires a steep learning curve. Leeds has great shopping, good restaurants, some great museums and generally friendly locals.

I think about catching the train up to Leeds on day one, yes you will be jet lagged but you can sleep on the train, it makes it a rough day but at least you get a chance to see the sites
Old Mar 1st, 2014, 07:28 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree that it would be better to either fly into MAN - or - travel on to Leeds the day you arrive in London. If you must fly into London, it would mean a long day but better IMO than checking in/out of a hostel for just an overnight stay - presumably you'd travel up to Leeds early in the AM so you really won't get any useable "London time" staying that one night.

Just travel up to Leeds on your arrival day and recover from the jet lag w/o having to move again.
Old Mar 1st, 2014, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Janisj and Bilboburger, I hadn't thought of taking the train up on the day we arrived, but that may work.

I checked out flying into Manchester or Leeds, but the additional cost would be $300 to $600 per person. Taking the train up straightaway would make the first day rough, but it would eliminate some of the zig-zagging.

Morgana, we spent a few days in Thirsk/York/Leeds a couple years ago (thanks in part to your help), and I agree 100%.