University of York

Sep 30th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

University of York

Help!
Travelling to York to bring #1 son to university and I am just finding out that most (if not all) of the orientation process is for students only. Not wanting to smother son, I am looking for fun side day trips in and out of York which are easy and fairly inexpensive. I understand there is plenty to see in York and would love to see Bronte-ville (for lack of true reference name!) and other area sites. Please advise regarding public transport to nearby sites, historical and interesting.

Thank you so much in advance!
Sep 30th, 2010, 05:52 PM

York - take train to Leeds and change to a suburban train to Keighley ('Keeley') and then take a bus to Haworth, a nice old stone-built village on the edge of the infamous Moors Bronte often wrote about. An easy day trip from York - if this is the Bronte-ville you are on about. You have the old parish church where papa Bronte was pastoring and a Bronte Museum, etc. and you can walk into the adjoining nearby Moors.

Visit Haworth - England
Haworth Parsonage Museum The Brontes arrived at Haworth from Thornton on April 20th 1820, the procession of seven carts and one covered wagon led up the ...
http://www.haworth-village.org.uk/.....it-haworth.asp -

Haworth Village
Haworth village is situated at the edge of the Pennine moors in West Yorkshire, England, the area made famous by the Bronte sisters, known as Bronte country ...
www.haworth-village.org.uk/
Sep 30th, 2010, 11:03 PM

<<< then take a bus to Haworth >>> or take the train - www.kwvr.co.uk/

The official term BTW is Brontë Country - www.visitbradford.com/bronte-country/

You also pass through the village of Saltaire which is a World Heritage Site and which has a permanent David Hockney exhibition - http://www.saltairevillage.info/

Nearby Bingley has 5 Rise Locks which were built in 1774 - http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/ll...eyfiverise.htm
Sep 30th, 2010, 11:03 PM

"Keighley ('Keeley') "

'Keethley'.

For planning this slightly messy journey, www.transportdirect.info
Sep 30th, 2010, 11:10 PM

Book train ticket to Keighley from York which involves changing trains at Leeds. At Keighley either get the aforementioned train or walk along Cavendish Street to Keighley Bus Station to pick up one of the following buses - 500, 663, 664, 665 - which is just to the north of the Airedale Shopping Centre on the following map

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=keighley+station
http://www.keighleybus.co.uk
Oct 1st, 2010, 12:20 AM

Some other day trip suggestions -
1) Harrogate by train, about 35 mins (think they are hourly). Lovely upmarket spa town, good shopping, Pump Room museum, Turkish baths, Mercer Art Gallery, Betty's Tea rooms.
http://www.yorkshire.com/do/places/h...it%20harrogate
2) Castle Howard - possible to get here by public transport - see web link below. Wouldn't be a 'cheap' day out but it would be a marvellous one.
http://www.castlehoward.co.uk/House-...irections.html
3) Train to Durham - castle and cathedral
www.thisisdurham.com
4) Don't discount Leeds itself (easy trip by train) if you are visiting the Bronte Parsonage at Haworth. Leeds is a very lively, vibrant city. Again excellent shopping especially in the Victoria Quarter, plus a new(ish) museum.
www.v-q.co.uk
www.leeds.gov.uk/citymuseum
5) If you visit Leeds you could also easily reach Harewood House by bus. The 36 bus leaves Leeds Bus station every 20 mins or so, heading to Ripon but it stops literally outside the gates to Harewood. Return buses to Leeds are as frequent. Takes about 15 mins on the bus, depending on time of day. You can get into Harewood for half price if you travel by public transport - your bus driver will let you have a voucher if you ask.
www.harewood.org
www.harrogatebus.co.uk/?subSiteID=12
There are many other places you could visit but I've listed some of the easiest.
Oct 1st, 2010, 01:47 AM

I agree with all above. But I'd start with a orientation of York itself as it is small but centrally medieval. You need to walk the walls, do the shambles and spend an hour in the cathedral.

Tourist Info is very good and they can arrange a walking tour of the centre. The town has good park and ride system also worth looking at if you need to stay often. I just discovered some very nice appartments to rent in the town centre by the 4 day or by the week which TI can advise on.

Around York, you have the remains of a the Royal Court and the Bishops palace to the south along with a great race course.

Morgana's links are very fine and while I normally tend towards Palenq's views on things on this occasion I almost have to agree with Flanner's "keethly" however having spent too much time in the area I think it actualy sounds just a tad more like "Keefly" than "keethly" due to the locals ability to mumble everything. The train station is lovely while the town centre is a disaster of 60s and 70s trash stuck on a Victorian base. However there are a few nice buildings left including the library with some wonderful stained glass.

If you have come to Keighly on your way to Howarth you might also like to visit Saltaire at an earlier station, a world heritage site worth a good couple of hours. David Hockney's gallery is to die for and the food above can be heaven
Oct 1st, 2010, 04:51 AM

Don't overlook the Castle Museum and Fairfax House in York itself, both are well worth a visit.
Oct 1st, 2010, 05:18 AM

<< Don't overlook the Castle Museum >>

Guaranteed to depress people of a "certain age" as they see things that they used
Oct 1st, 2010, 08:16 AM

the steam train from Keighley only runs sporadically i believe except on weekends and in peak season. I would have taken the train if one had been convenient so did the walk PatrickLondon describes to the bus depot.
Oct 1st, 2010, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to all! Looking forward to seeing the sights. Final question, a good local tea/coffee shop?
Oct 2nd, 2010, 03:15 AM

Betty's - the small one on Stonegate isn't quite so rammed (as my son would say.)
Oct 2nd, 2010, 04:24 AM

>>>and I am just finding out that most (if not all) of the orientation process is for students only<<<

I don't mean any offence, but why would this surprise you? Did you expect to accompany your son to the various freshers week events organised for new students? Perhaps it's different in your part of the world, but university students are regarded as adults in the UK (though they don't always behave like they are!).