Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   United to UK great service (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/united-to-uk-great-service-78332/)

Jim Jul 5th, 2000 08:33 AM

United to UK great service

Just did a round trip on United from JFK to London in coach, service was commendable on a full flight. After flying on American and Alitalia to Europe recently it was really nice to be treated as a human being not cargo.

Robin Jul 5th, 2000 08:47 AM

I also had excellent service from LAX to Paris in June. I saw the thread recently complaining about terrible treatment, but ours was really quite good. As always, my only complaint is the irrationally small space they want to put us in in Coach-- there is a limit folks! But the personnel were excellent.

mwb Jul 5th, 2000 09:14 AM

United to Paris last november, United to London march 2000, and united to frankfurt in june 2000. All trips were outstanding and we were treated with extreme kindness and lots of appreciation. <BR>United on international flights are fantastic.

Mary Jul 5th, 2000 06:11 PM

Did a RT from Dulles to London in coach on United last month. Couldn't have asked for better service. The meals were even good!

Jim Jul 5th, 2000 08:33 PM

It's so refreshing to hear something good about an airline for a change. <BR>In my opinion and that of many others there is no beter airline than Singapore. United has a way to go to achieve that status, but amongst U S carriers they are kickin butt.United keep up the good work.I'd like to know what the first class travelers think of the service on United?

Penny Jul 5th, 2000 09:13 PM

My daughter and I also had excellent service on a United RT from Boston to London in April. It's been a long time since we've had such a pleasant experience with an airline. I'd definitely choose United again for an overseas trip. <BR> <BR>Interestingly, however, my husband and son--who went to California at the same time we went to London--had terrible experiences on United, from failure to notify us that the flight was to leave earlier than scheduled; to running out of headphones; to inexplicably changing seats on people. . . . my son wrote a letter of complaint. <BR> <BR>We couldn't believe we were talking about the same airline.

Michele Jul 6th, 2000 08:40 AM

We also flew United from SFO to London, Heathrow and had great service. The flight attendants were quite nice and the amenities--snacks, meals, drinks, etc.--were quite good. If I'd wanted to, they would have brought drink after drink and snack after snack..... <BR> <BR>I'd have to give the thumbs up to the actual flight too: we left at 5:30p and arrived in London at 12noon. Compared to some flights, this worked out wonderful! We just slept the whole way over and arrived nice and refreshed after 7.5 hours sleep. <BR> <BR>On the way home, we grabbed a 2:45p flight out of London, stayed up the entire trip and got home at 5:30p that same day, went to sleep at 8p and woke up the next day! Easy as pie!

Ken Jul 6th, 2000 08:48 AM

My wife and I flew United Chicago to London RT in June. The food was very good (not as good as Paris, but good for airline food)as was the service. Delays are inevitable but they told us in Heathrow that the delay was technical when the crew said it was a problem getting crews in Chicago to get the plane to London so we could take it back. <BR> <BR>Yes, the seating is cattle car, especially when boorish people insist on putting their seats all the way back so those behind have to do contortions to get out. <BR> <BR>The crews were very friendly and accommodating. And I liked the envelope to donate foreign coins to charity so I didn't have to carry them around or clutter a drawer back home. <BR>