Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Unique Way to See Tuscany (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/unique-way-to-see-tuscany-814345/)

traveleveryday Nov 14th, 2009 08:53 AM

Unique Way to See Tuscany

This summer I had the opportunity to fly in a private plane above Tuscany. Before 2005 I lived in Tuscany for 3 years. But this summer, as I looked down from the plane, I felt like I was seeing the region for the very first time. Whether you've visited Tuscany before, or are planning your first trip, I highly recommend going on a trip with TuscanWings (tuscanwings.com).

The pilot and owner of the company, Francesco, met me at the train station in Arezzo (I was staying in Florence, but Arezzo is a fast hour train ride away) and took me to the small airport nearby. It was my first time in a non-commercial plane, and Francesco took the time to explain everything to me so that I would feel secure and calm when we were in the air. He told me what each of the dials and devices were for inside the plane, and even brought along his own GPS for extra security.

We took off from Arezzo and flew over the fruit, wine, and olive fields nearby. We passed over countless villas with private swimming pools, small hilltop villages, and sprawling expanses of agricultural landscapes. It was so exciting once we got to the coast of Tuscany, and even though we were high in the air, I could see the bottom of the Tirrenian (Mediterranean) sea below us ... the water was crystal clear! We flew over the water for a few minutes, and reached the Island of Elba. Napoleon was expelled to here back in the day, but now Elba is lush, green, and covered with villas and island communities. We landed in the small airport at Elba, where a car was waiting for us. I felt like such a VIP going from a private airport to a seaside lunch, and that's exactly what we did! The small restaurant where we ate was less than 50 feet from the beautiful sea, and we sat on the patio which was open to the ocean air. The owner of the restaurant came out to greet us, and showed us the day's fresh catch, and while his staff went back to prepare the very fish we had just seen, we quickly changed into our swimsuits and took a dip in the warm and refreshing ocean. We dried off and came back to find our fish just being served - it was fresh and delicious, and the grilled vegetables that came with it were also incredible. After lunch, the car was again waiting for us to go back to the airport, and before long we were back in the plane, ascending over Elba.

On the way back to Arezzo, we took a slightly different route and flew directly over Siena. We dipped over to take pictures of the magnificent black and white duomo and the Campo where the palio takes place. On the flight home we also flew over the beautiful village of Civitella, with its majestic fortress atop the hill that was partially destroyed during World War II.

This was hands-down one of the most memorable days of my life. Francesco is a quintessential italian host, and took the time to make me feel comfortable and safe. He also knows so much about his native land, and with his impeccable english he shared his passion for his region. I've known Tuscany in many ways and through all the seasons, but this day once again opened my eyes to the wonder that is Tuscany. Flying from Arezzo to Elba, we saw how diverse Tuscany is - from the fields that were browning with the coming of fall, to the rolling hills around Siena, and the green seaside towns around Grosseto and Pisa.

If you have any questions at all, I'm happy to try to answer them for you.

I hope you have the opportunity to experience this once-in-a-lifetime trip over Tuscany!

Buon viaggio :)

bobthenavigator Nov 14th, 2009 10:21 AM

I am totally green with envy--must have been fantastic.

kybourbon Nov 14th, 2009 10:40 AM

My cousin bought a video a few years ago of Italy which is aerial views from a slow, low-flying plane. It covers north to south.
http://www.amazon.com/Visions-Italy-...8227410&sr=8-1

nukesafe Nov 14th, 2009 01:04 PM

What a great idea! We often treat visitors to a flight out over the San Juan Islands when they visit us here in the Northwest. On a clear day an aerial tour over the spectacular scenery makes an indelible impression. We can get a short 45 minute flight that covers most of the sights for less than $50 per person. Money well spent.

What was the cost of your incredible day, if I may ask?

:-)

PeaceOut Nov 14th, 2009 09:18 PM

We have a friend who owns a company which conducts tours of Tuscany and elsewhere in Ferrari autos. I think they are five or six day tours. Pretty expensive, I'm sure.

alihutch Nov 14th, 2009 09:35 PM

If you are in Como, it's the home to the only seaplne training facility in Europe; the Aero Club Como. They also offer tours and rides around the lake; I've still to do one, but you frequently see the planes landing on the water. The club has a really interesting history as well.
http://www.aeroclubcomo.com/

stepsbeyond Nov 22nd, 2009 01:44 PM

And can I ask the carbon footprint of this incredible day?

Steve_James Nov 24th, 2009 12:39 AM

I'd love to do this! Please post details of the cost.

Steve