Search

Understanding how to buy train tickets

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Understanding how to buy train tickets

Railpass or single ticket purchases:

So how much does a single train trip generally cost to just hop on - if you don't make a reservation ahead of time and don't have a rail pass?

Say we don't have a railpass and we want to get on a 9am train from Edinburgh to York on a Wednesday. Is buying the ticket the day before - considered a reservation and cost more than purchasing 30 minutes before the train departs?

Can we get the ticket the day before WITH a railpass - and it NOT have a cost as in "Reservation Cost"?
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 10:21 AM

Start reading www.seat61.com & www.railsaver.com then ask more specific questions later
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 10:24 AM

You don't need a ticket with a railpass though you can get seat reservations (for free if by 6 or 7pm the night before i believe on this line)
Walk up fares are very expensive - you can get discounted ones if available perhaps the day before - many have advance purchasee requirements.
For exact fares: www.nationalrail.co.uk
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

I can see the fares on the websites - but these are for fares for if I purchase today - right?

How do I know what the fair would be if I purchase the day before?

I'm trying to figure out if I purchase now say at $60, will it be $200 the day before or will it be $60 then also.

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 10:59 AM

Just go to the National Rail site, pump in the relevant dates, select the "see fares" option, then take the link for each of the fares you're being shown. The site then shows you the rules for each fare

Specific conditions vary widely between individual fares and operators - just as with airlines. But for UK journeys over 100 miles, fares generally go up sharply the closer to departure you book them.

Anything more specific than that only you can determine, by checking the specific rules.